• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trenter33

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Fishers
    Due to limited funds, I'm trying to kill two birds with one stone. I'm very much an amateur, so would appreciate feedback. I want to purchase a .223 REM rifle that I could successfully use to kill varmints; at least 250 yards out. At the same time, I've been interested in a tactical rifle with capacity for 10+ round magazines and can shoot cheap ammo. In terms of budget, it's got to be under $1,000. What's out there that would serve both purposes well? Or, should I just buy a nice bolt-action varmint gun now and wait a year or two for my tactical?

rcuhljr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Carmel
    Depending on the size of the varmint an AR should be capable of enough accuracy out to 250 yards. And it certainly covers the tactical side. (If you're trying to hit squirrel heads at at 250 yards it might take a little luck, but any target around 2-3 inches should be reasonable if I'm right)

trenter33

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Fishers
    Yes. I've been reading about those, but can't find one. I was also reading about the Armalite 180B, but can't find one of those either. Guess I'll wait 'til another gun show rolls around.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Have you ever considered a Kel-Tec SU16?

They have several different configurations (browse the site linked above), will generally come in $150 or more UNDER the MSRP listed on their site. Also, it is chambered in 5.56, so you can use either milsurp 5.56 or .223 with no worries.

Whatever you decide, good luck and happy shooting :ar15:

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Most of the AR-15 manufacturers make a varmint type rifle. It will usually have a longer barrel; sometimes a match trigger. Wasn't long ago someone had an AR for sale on the "For Sale" board here that would have been a good varmint set up.

Here are a couple from factory web pages:
    Bushmaster - Hunting Rifles
    Rock River Arms: Varmint Rifle A4
    Olympic Arms, Inc. - K8 - Targetmatchhttp://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=270

By the time you put a good scope on it, you will go over your $1000 limit if you buy everything new. However, you could look for a used rifle.

Everything in the AR-15 world is in short supply right now due to political fears. Manufacturers are back ordered, and even used ARs are going for premium prices. If you want to stay under your price limit and you want to buy soon, you probably do not want to be looking at anything the incoming administration could label an "assault rifle." However, anything that is a semiauto .223 with 10 round mags, and anything that could be well suited to "tactical" or defense use, is going to be subject to that potential nonsense.

Still, even at today's slightly inflated prices, a good varmint AR would be a lot less than buying a tactical rifle plus a varmint rifle.

trenter33

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Fishers
    Thanks for all the feedback. I'm going to pursue an AR-style varmint rifle, though I'll have to wait awhile for the scope. I understand prices are a little inflated right now, but who knows when they won't be; or even go up from here. How am I doing with justifying my purchase?

foxxie02

Marksman
    Rating - 97.2%
    35   1   0
    May 23, 2008
    just picked a nice 223

hey i too was looking for similar circumstances and picked up a nice and new century arms ar for 800 bucks at gander mountain not the top of the line in ar format but is nice and new, 2 year warranty also..just a thought.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    You should pm britton. He has a shop in Bluffton and may have a few AR's. I am pretty sure I saw a Bushy varmiter camo at Dunhams in Anderson, IN. You could call them and see they still have it.

Last edited:

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    AR varminters

AR varminters aren't all created equal. It sorta' depends on your choice of varmints. Our varmint-du-jour is the wiley and dangerous prairie dog. You wouldn't particularly want to use our P doggin' ARs for a coyote calling gun. 24" HEAVY varmint barrel! (not to be confused with a puny HBAR) I'll bring one to the AR build party Sunday if anybody wants to check it out. :)

DRob

EvilleFirepower

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    My Bushmaster M4A3 gets the job done for me! They will set you back a little over 1K now-a-days if you can find one in stock. I saw a Bushmaster ORC at Gander the other day for $850. No sights, just a picatinny ready for a scope. Not a bad price given the current market, though. Of course when I went back two days later that and the other 5 AR-15's they had in there were gone.

Top Bottom