• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Eulogy32

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    Carmel, Indiana
    What we have here is a beautiful handmade, custom holster from Tim Turner of TT GunLeather High Quality Leather Gun Holsters. This particular holster is the Elite DDOS Snap Removable Holster with optional shark skin trim made for my HK USP Compact 9mm.

picture.php

Now, before I get started on the review of the holster itself, I'd like to say a few things about Tim. He is a first-rate guy! He personally responded to all emails and inquiries and he always did so in a timely fashion. I have no idea how he managed to do that since he's so busy making custom leather rigs for people.

I placed my order and paid with my Credit Card on January 3rd. I originally ordered the Reinforced Mouth IWB Holster with optional shark skin trim. It states on the website that there is a 20-24 week backlog before receiving shipment of your order. Each holster, with the exception of the Stronghold variety, are made-to-order. Anyways, in 4 months I decided I preferred holsters of the OWB type. So, I emailed Tim to see about changing my order. He responded the next day and said that it would be no problem to change my order. Furthermore, prices of all of the holsters increased slightly between my initial order and my change-of-mind. I offered to pay the extra and Tim told me not to worry about it! How awesome is that?!

So, I placed my original order in the first week of January. I changed my order sometime in April. Then, I received a call the 3rd week of June. Tim had called to verify my order and my preferred size of belt-loops. After I confirmed, he started the work. I finally took receipt of my holster the first week of July :rockwoot:

The first thing I noticed when I opened the box was the outstanding quality of the workmanship. The double stitching, the trim, the intricate etchings of the lines and curves was all excellent. I own a few Galco's and this seemed far and above what I had grown used to with them. Don't get me wrong, I very much enjoy my Galco leather for my p226 and my 1911, but the fit and finish of a truly custom holsters is in a different league all together. I mean, I know my pics suck, but look at it! It's gorgeous!

picture.php

picture.php

I've had some time to break it in and wear it around now and I am very pleased. It is a very stiff holster, so it took about 6 weeks of my USP sitting in it before I could even holster and unholster it without straining with both hands. But it rides very comfortably. It rides very high and tight to the body and I can not feel it moving around at all when I'm moving about. That thing is solidly on my hip.

I opted for the snaps for the ease of placing and removing from my belt because I do it often. It is way easier to utilize these snaps over removing my belt and sliding on a holster. And again, even in-spite of the snaps, the thing is SOLID on my belt. It snaps so securely that it won't even slide back and forth, you have to unsnap one side to reposition it.

Another great feature is the reinforced mouth. Sometimes, on my Galco's it is necessary for me to spread the opening in order to holster my weapon. However, this rig has a reinforced opening so it's always being held open. Once it's broken in, you truly can holster it with one hand, no matter what position you're in.

Tim uses a special solution on the leather to make it waterproof. And actually, I opted for the shark skin trim because it is naturally waterproof (and I wanted some bling.) He also claims that simply wiping it with a cloth once in awhile is enough to clean it, though I haven't had to clean it yet, so I can neither confirm or deny. However, he insists that no cleaning or softening solutions should be used, because it will upset his waterproofing treatment. And that I will take his word for.

So, to sum up:
    -TTGunleather holsters are second to NONE in overall fit and finish.
    -Tim Turner is an outstanding guy with outstanding customer service.
    -The holsters are worth every penny over what you'd pay for a similar product from a production holster company.

He went out of his way to satisfy me as a customer. So much so, it inspired me to do this review in order to repay the favor. I highly recommend his work and I will be investing in some more of it myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom