techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Review: Millett DMS-1 Scope

Job Function: Augment aging eyes to shoot at rifleman ranges (0-500 meters) at rifleman standard (4MOA from prone).
    Cost: $199 Scope, $285 with Burris mount and scope covers.
    Bought From: swfa.com
    Included: Scope, Burris mount, pair of scope covers.

5235650280_3cf0c02884_z.jpg

Initial Impressions:

SWFA shipped this very quickly and did a good job with packaging. I was immediately struck by the weight of the scope which was 50% more than I had expected and which gave a top heavy feel to the rifle when unloaded. I also was dissappointed by the fact that swfa had listed scope covers as an option (and which I selected) even though the scope promptly came with a set of its own. I was also dissappoined that the covers were not "see though" which I am fond of.

On the up side, the optics were crisp and the lit reticle is a boon in low lights. The rotation from 1x to 4x felt intentional and unlikely to happen as an accident. The hight off of the rifle was also appropriate for a decent cheek weld. The Burris scope mount is also superb and well done. I am not concerned that it might relax an release accidentally.

All in all, it looked good and I was excited to get it to the range to test it.

Range Report:

Weather: Snow + Friggen Cold (25 degrees) and overcast with intermittent flurries.
    Targets: Appleseed Squares and AQT @C 25 meters, as well as a Stage 1 steel target from Bobcat steel at 100 yards.
    Ammo: 55 grain and 62 grain greentip PMC.
    Shooting position: Prone from a mat with a web sling for support.

5235644144_f2f46f87ef_z.jpg

The scope did not fog up or otherwise give problems with the weather. It was immediately useful and ready to shoot. The illumination was useful against dark targets but otherwise was not needed. These are the best pictures I could get through the scope to give a visual of what the scope is like at 4x:

5235656270_f4e8a721e6_z.jpg

5235671992_afdba62710.jpg

5235060079_77653e6cb6_z.jpg

The scope's 1 MOA center dot is very distinguishable from the target and the first group was 4 in one hole and 1 flyer:

5235064091_d51593a79e_z.jpg

So I went to adjust the scope. The adjustments are 1/2 MOA and I had a great deal to do as my target was the center square. Sadly, the scope's first movement was difficult and slid over untold clicks. After that, the actual clicks were very light and not strong audibly or with tactile feel.

5235658030_a0267dbac6_z.jpg

When I went to adjust windage I had the same experience and also a small surprise:

5235065709_132f14cf44_z.jpg

Yep, a spare battery compartment in the windage knob cover. That is cool! In any event, I got it zeroed once I got a feel for the careful adjustments the knobs require. A quick double check on an AQT sighter and it looked good enough to run an AQT:

5235659642_b449e0162e_z.jpg

Between the gravel and the slippery mess of the weather, my elbows were not wanting to stay where I put them. But the scope did a great job of letting me see well what I was doing in all three positions and the result was passed AQT:

5235670290_5627e4a68f_z.jpg

With that concluded it was time to hit the steel. Now, I need to mention that I began to get problems with short stroking at this point in the day. I think a mix of lightness of PMC 55 Bronze and the cold flash freezing everything including the bolt carrier group were at cause. I will say that the PMC 62 did not have the same issue.

In any event, hitting the steel was easy enough with the scope that it was more fun to start and stop the swinging motion of the plate than just hitting it. The 62 grain steel core did bite into the plate some, but not too bad:

5235071019_870a46e0d0_z.jpg

5235073651_54e54816f7_z.jpg

Part way through the steel a new problem arose. The rear scope cover would flap on recoil and the rotate either left or right taking the focus knob with it. The flapping was annoying too. Upon examination, the lens cover spring was just not up to the task. So I will either use the extras I bought or get a see through pair and use those instead as an upgrade.

Soon it was time to go as my toes were hurting from the cold. I was very pleased with the results overall and had a great time at the range.

Conclusions:

Pro - Very good image quality. Reticle very useful for needed task. EER works well with Burris mount. Cost low enough to be affordable.

Con - Poor Lens covers, poor scope adjustment response, heavier than expected.

5235669324_621b195870_z.jpg

It's worth the price,
    Techres

Last edited by a moderator:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom