• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    This is the part of the story that makes me wonder.

So the stock engine displacing 151 cubic inches is bested by a turbocharged 122 cubic inch engine. OK, I can accept that. That same little 122 inch engine can push a stock midsized sedan 140MPH? I cannot comprehend that. I can accept 140 KPH, that would be just under 90 mph. It would take me some time to accept more than that. I have been 140 mph, and it took over 3 times that much engine, and it was not in a rental grocery getter.

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    So the stock engine displacing 151 cubic inches is bested by a turbocharged 122 cubic inch engine. OK, I can accept that. That same little 122 inch engine can push a stock midsized sedan 140MPH? I cannot comprehend that. I can accept 140 KPH, that would be just under 90 mph. It would take me some time to accept more than that. I have been 140 mph, and it took over 3 times that much engine, and it was not in a rental grocery getter.

Did you miss he part where I stated that I looked it up in Car and Driver and the tested the 2.0L turbo and found the top speed to be 155 mph, drag limited?

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-chevrolet-malibu-20l-turbo-test-review

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    140 isn't that hard to do; a 6 speed transmission will allow for a lot of speed given enough of a straight line. that little 2.0 turbo makes almost 260 hp. put that with some crazy gearing in 6th to help boost fuel economy numbers, and it will get there eventually.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    My 2.0 L turbocharged 2004 Subaru Impreza STi WITH full time all wheel drive (a heavy car) found 145MPH without any trouble.

So I'm told. :rolleyes:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Really? I would have thought the horsepower would at least get you in that ballpark. Don't know what they're rated at, 300?

4 speed trannies + drag from lightbars takes a toll on top speed. My '03 was governed at 130 or so but especially past 110 it was a slow creep up, and it would do it but it bounced back into 3rd gear a lot. The only time I had it up that fast was when we had a helicopter and he was calling traffic for us, it was on the interstate, and it was very light traffic. It was floaty at that speed and I was not happy. I have no idea how fast my Charger will go, I've never really pushed it.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    There is a YouTube video of a kid in a charger, gets pulled over for 144mph, all on tape.

4 speed trannies + drag from lightbars takes a toll on top speed. My '03 was governed at 130 or so but especially past 110 it was a slow creep up, and it would do it but it bounced back into 3rd gear a lot. The only time I had it up that fast was when we had a helicopter and he was calling traffic for us, it was on the interstate, and it was very light traffic. It was floaty at that speed and I was not happy. I have no idea how fast my Charger will go, I've never really pushed it.

LOL, with the new streamlined lightbars, one would think into the 140 range.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Did you miss he part where I stated that I looked it up in Car and Driver and the tested the 2.0L turbo and found the top speed to be 155 mph, drag limited?

2014 Chevrolet Malibu 2.0L Turbo Test ? Review ? Car and Driver

I just read the test results. The top speed was listed as "drag limited" I also looked at the link to the test spec sheet. It looks to me like that is how fast the wheels will turn on a dyno, which is WAY different than pushing your own wind. Heck, a man on a bicycle hit 141 riding inside of a shed attached to the back of a Chevy at Bonneville. He sure could not do that on state highway 49. The car only does a 15 second quarter at less than 100mph. A car with enough power to hit 155 on the road should be at least 3 seconds and 25mph faster at the drag strip. The top speed website lists the same as doing 128, which is still pretty impressive from 122 inches.

I will look into it more. I could be dead wrong, but I am a perpetual student.

Just found this.http://www.topspeed.com/cars/performance-driving-guide/top-speed-calculator-ar10557.html

It appears the 155 "drag limited" is a theoretical estimate off of a calculator, not real life.

Last edited:

flashpuppy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NWI, Lowell

My wife's '13 Accord 2-door, with a NA four banger, gets up right round 130 without question. She had a lil Mini Roadster before this car and somewhere I got a pic of the speedo in the 145 neighborhood..

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    My 4 ton pickup with a 454 in it has a surprising pep to it. Most of my small town people know its me driving by for some reason. No clue how.

flashpuppy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NWI, Lowell
    Also, keep in mind that most vehicles in the US have their top speed capped electronically. 128 is a fairly standard top end for lots of coupes and family-ish sportier cars with 17" wheels. The manufacturer will cap the vehicles top speed in accordance with the tires speed rating.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Maybe I am not keeping up with things, but when I was a kid I drove several cars through the traps with speedometers pegged past 120 only to pick up my time slip that said 96 or 97mph. I have a long history with the ninja engine motorcycles that give the kind of performance we are talking about but they carry less than 1/2 of the weight per 100 horsepower that the malibu does. (The malibu is kind of chunky at over 3400 lbs) I do not know the wind tunnel figures but the sport bikes would seem to have to split a lot less wind resistance than a sedan also.

Last edited:

flashpuppy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NWI, Lowell
    We ain't talk'in no 1/4 mile run... Start at a cruising speed and then jam it down for the next half-mile.

I have (had) a nice little private airport to do these types of shenanigans. 5000' of straight concrete. I could round the taxi-way at about 52 and *just* make 140 by 1/2 mile marker in that Mini. Maybe could've pushed a lil more out of it, but making that "when to start braking" decision is a slippery slope.

Also, keep in mind the transmissions these days... Heck, my buddy just bought a new 1500 Ram with something like 8 forward gears. LOL, wtf is that? IDK what the heck is even in my wife's Honda. Paddle shifters on the wheel, but if you stick it the tach will just sit at like 8k while the car "catches up". Can't even explain it really, but its not a CVT.

Top Bottom