Reflex sight with 3x to 4x magnification?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joshualee49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Gas City, Indiana
    So, I will be looking at an optics rig for an AR very soon. As I understand, Aimpoint and EOTech both make a dot reflex 1x with a 3x or 4x additional optic. I am totally new to the world of optics and want to make sure I am looking at it correctly. I want a reflex rig that will reach out and touch 50 to 100 yards (if feasible). I am a handgunner myself, so forgive the ignorance on the subject. Any feedback and experience is appreciated. Thanks,

Josh

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Im on mynphone so i cant post links, but look at the vortex pst 1-4 and kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Lighter, more durable, less combersom, and cheaper. Cheaper and better is a pretty good selling point.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    If you're just shooting inside of 100 yards, you probably won't need a magnifier (although they're awesome), so you might try the opic first prior to buying both. If you do plan to get a magnifier in the future, I'd go the Eotech route rather than Aimpoint. Just my personal experience, but the holographic nature of it just lends itself better to the combination.

A 1x4 scope is a popular option as Vette said. I've had a few, and personally couldn't use it as well as a red dot and magnifier combo. Especially when shooting from a somewhat awkward position, such as from your side or off of your back, the eye box just kind of shadows out. Try both though, it might work great for you.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    As has been mentioned, inside 100 yards, I think you'll find magnification unnecessary. If you plan on shooting further, I like 1-4 scopes, but you have to get a QUALITY scope that can truly run down to 1 power, otherwise it won't work like a red dot.

I have a Burris MTAC 1-4 and I have been very pleased with it. But like tradertator said, you kinda have to try it for yourself to see what you like.

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    I just sold off my magnifier/red dot combo in favor of a scope. The vortex strike eagle is what I went with. I liked the other setup but the lack of eye relief on the magnifier drove me nuts. I'm much happier now. YMMV

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Willphill12
    Top Bottom