recommendations for someone installing a gas line?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • church

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Margaritaville
    My dad is looking to have NG ran to his fireplace. Its a 40-50 foot run straight off the main. Someone quoted him 1500$ just in labor to do this, i think it was Chapmans. Does anyone have any suggestions for who I might contact that will give me a reasonable price? 1500$ for 3ish hours work is silly.

church

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Margaritaville
    He definitely wants it done professionally, I am thinking it could be a really good Christmas present. But I am not paying someone 1500 dollars for a few hours of work.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Call up a bunch of plumbers and HVAC guys and just ask. Heck, chances are good that even some electricians are licensed to do that kind of work.

Just start making calls.

-J-

Kernal1984

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Scottsburg
    If you are mechanically inclined at all i recommend the following:Pipe wrench, pipe dope, hardware store, black iron to get close to the unit then a flex line for the connection, just get everything tight, check for leaks with soapy water or call gas company and see if they will check it out(they use soapy water).

If you are not mechanically inclined call around and get some more estimates cause that seems pretty high.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Check with the utility. I investigated it and within Indianapolis, the gas company will do it for you for "free" (up to a certain distance) under a contract. As I recall As long as you kept your gas service active for x years and maintained y usage, they would waive the install fee. Cancel and you were on the hook for the entire amount.

I dont have gas, but know from the handful of houses around with a meter, and seeing the flags by the sidewalk every time they mark the utilities, I know its available. I found the info while I was investigating what kind of HVAC to install when my current heat pump dies.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Check with the utility. I investigated it and within Indianapolis, the gas company will do it for you for "free" (up to a certain distance) under a contract. As I recall As long as you kept your gas service active for x years and maintained y usage, they would waive the install fee. Cancel and you were on the hook for the entire amount.

I dont have gas, but know from the handful of houses around with a meter, and seeing the flags by the sidewalk every time they mark the utilities, I know its available. I found the info while I was investigating what kind of HVAC to install when my current heat pump dies.

this may be the case for "new" gas service to a place... But it sounds like the utility is already installed on the property and this is just a new connection within the home.

I'll be up against something like this "soon". I have a free-standing natural gas heater for use in my spare garage (storage area, mostly + "work bench"). It's right in the way of where we're going to eventually have our washer & dryer relocated once our kitchen renovation gets under way. Will probably just have the whole line crimped off and the heater removed from service all together rather than relocated (no other easy place to install the gas line).

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    He definitely wants it done professionally, I am thinking it could be a really good Christmas present. But I am not paying someone 1500 dollars for a few hours of work.

It really is a very easy DIY project. Lowe's will cut pipe to length for free. Soap your joints when you're done to check for leaks. If you were closer, I'd help.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    this may be the case for "new" gas service to a place... But it sounds like the utility is already installed on the property and this is just a new connection within the home.

I'll be up against something like this "soon". I have a free-standing natural gas heater for use in my spare garage (storage area, mostly + "work bench"). It's right in the way of where we're going to eventually have our washer & dryer relocated once our kitchen renovation gets under way. Will probably just have the whole line crimped off and the heater removed from service all together rather than relocated (no other easy place to install the gas line).

You are correct. That post was pre-coffee.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My dad is looking to have NG ran to his fireplace. Its a 40-50 foot run straight off the main. Someone quoted him 1500$ just in labor to do this, i think it was Chapmans. Does anyone have any suggestions for who I might contact that will give me a reasonable price? 1500$ for 3ish hours work is silly.

1st...Chapmans leads the pack in rip and tear on the customers nickel.

2nd...Is that a total cost as in materials/labor.

3rd...This could be a journeyman/helper job. Labor will be times one and a half.

4th...Is the house brick???....Possibly hard to penetrate the wall.

5th...Is the fire place already set. Will there be issues getting into it.

6th...When you say the main, existing meter or from the main line in the street.

With out seeing it we will all be throwing opinions in the wind. $1500 may not be all that bad if it is a tough job. You say 3 hours labor. Is that stated on the bid???

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

What you call a few hours of work.....where are you getting that info.

Gas pipe has to be secured to the house or on pedestals. This has to be done properly. Setting up/shutting down the service/ tapping in/adding Iso valve so service can be restored and work continued/measuring, cutting, threading the pipe/making a proper penetration/doing the inside work/properly sealing the penetration/testing the line/cleaning up and getting all the tools back into the rig. I have never run that much pipe in a few hours and I am a fitter.
    Remember, this work requires a lot of special tools and they are not free.

They might be ripping you as it is Chapmans but with out seeing it, hard to say.

Last edited:

MTN

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Laporte Co.
    If your dad already has natural gas to his house, the gas for his fireplace can be tapped off after existing meter.

If he does not which I'm thinking because they want to go from the main to fireplace. Then he will have to have a riser and Meter set installed. I would defiantly call your local utility company, there is a chance they will do it for free.

Just make sure they have everything located out before they start digging.

MTN

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Laporte Co.
    What you call a few hours of work.....where are you getting that info.

Gas pipe has to be secured to the house or on pedestals. This has to be done properly. Setting up/shutting down the service/ tapping in/adding Iso valve so service can be restored and work continued/measuring, cutting, threading the pipe/making a proper penetration/doing the inside work/properly sealing the penetration/testing the line/cleaning up and getting all the tools back into the rig. I have never run that much pipe in a few hours and I am a fitter.
    Remember, this work requires a lot of special tools and they are not free.

They might be ripping you as it is Chapmans but with out seeing it, hard to say.

Not much threading pipe anymore. A lot of gas lines these days are all plastic ( mains and services ) if he has a steel main at his house then a welder is needed to weld sevive tee on, after that the steel service can be transitioned to plastic.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Not much threading pipe anymore. A lot of gas lines these days are all plastic ( mains and services ) if he has a steel main at his house then a welder is needed to weld sevive tee on, after that the steel service can be transitioned to plastic.

If it is buried yes.....outside running along the house requires malleable steel threaded pipe. Breaking in right off the meter can be done with nipples/union/iso valve.
    Thats where the confusion about "Off the Main" is about. Trenched and buried will be plastic and something the utility will do for nothing up to the meter. From there it will be standard schedule 40 black threaded pipe. Done a lot of this. Also certified for welding gas pipe.

Top Bottom