• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I've got a Ruger P89 that really needs the slide refinished. LOTS of holster wear because it was my late father's sidearm when he worked as a special deputy.

Its got some very minor surface rust, but not too bad. No pitting, and the rust I see is almost like the brown rust-bluing I have seen on old shotguns. Not really rusty, but the finish has a distinct rust color if that makes sense.

Any Indy area 'smiths up to tackling a reblue on the slide? Considered sending it to Ruger but figured I would check in here first. If so, what am I looking at for a cost?

Not looking for anything crazy like Cerakote. Just looking to get it back to factory(ish) specs (including sight/safety paint) so I dont have to worry so much about it in the decades to come. This is now officially a family heirloom that I am looking forward to handing down to my kids.

Sullivan_pbr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    Romney
    I would say your best bet would be to have it duracoated. It will be at least if not more durable then the factory finish. There are even some very good do it yourself products if you'd like to tackle the job yourself. For the diy people alumahyde is a good product that comes to mind. I've done a couple myself and have been very pleased with the outcome. I'll post a pic of one shortly if I can round it up.

Sullivan_pbr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    Romney
    image_zps3e0d57ab.jpg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    Have you considered a deep rust blue? It's much more durable than tanking, but still gives you that "gun blue" look rather than something painted. Give me a shout if you're interested. I can take on something quick like that right now and have it back to you in a week.
    Jim

Top Bottom