• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    For those of you who read Survivalblog.com, (and those who don't) I had put a request in at the Library for "Patriots...Surviving the Upcoming Collapse" by JW Rawles, needless to say, it came in, was a good read, and is available to others to check out. The Library is actually pretty good about getting books if the price is right.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    About ten years ago he had offered drafts of a book, at that time titled "Triple Ought," in reference to the year 2000, on survival newsgroups on Usenet and I'm assuming that this is the fruition of that effort. He's a little wacky, but the book was a fun read. Lots of guns, gore and gear.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Well Rawles definately has his view, the book is an action tale, but in some ways it is also meant as an instructional aid too, and if you read his Survivalblog, he pretty much says so. There is some good info on food storage, fuel storage, opsec, coms etc. I guess the idea was that if like minded people read it, they could use it as a standardization for frequencies, camo, standardized gun calibers, etc. Anyhoo, it was fun, and since the tax payers of Monroe County paid for it, free to all with a library card!

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I tried to find my saved copy last night to reread it but no luck. I think he took out the part with the baby eating Communists who stumbled upon the retreat location in "000", the newsgroup readers thought it was a little too hokey. I did find it irritating in "000" that the group would shoot it out with anyone who blocked them, but demanded that anyone who down came their road be stopped and searched. I don't know it that was changed in the final version. When I say "wacky", I mean things like his talismanic use of James Wesley, Rawles with the expectation that the comma has some legal meaning. But yes, it was an easy to read, engrossing story. A friend of mine in Monroe Co. regularly requests right wing books because he knows that the library lefties will never buy them on their own. They do usually order them and he is always sure to check them out so that they can't say the book was never checked out and remove it on that basis.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I read 000 online and then bought a copy of the paperback when it was first published.

I never understood the business with the comma.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I have a copy of Patriots at work (Bloomington). Anyone in Bloomington who wants to borrow it - shoot me a PM and I will put it aside for you.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Well the bit about the baby eating Leftists was "Left" in the newest copy, I thought it a little trite, but oh well, and yes, I felt that the "Groups" stopping people who stumbled on them seemed a little one sided, but perhaps in the context of the story it was necessary, the "Group" definately had a moral code to guide them...I can understand their perspective on looters, but on the other hand, if stuff was laying around or the owners where dead would you not feel compeled to use the equipment? I guess they had great hopes for the return of civilization...

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    scottrodgers87
    Top Bottom