• ...and so much more!
  • EvJames22

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2022
    Decatur
    In about 2 weeks I'll be turning 21, and as I'm not big into drinking, I thought the best way to celebrate would be to finally buy myself a handgun (CZ P-07 SR). The issue is I'm having a hard time finding that model at any place locally, so to Gunbroker I went lol.

So here's the question.
    Is it legal for me to purchase the handgun now as a 20yo, have it processed and shipped (most likely from TX), over the next 2 weeks, just in time for me to go to my FFL, run the check, and have it transferred to me on the day of my 21st?

I've seen most people on the internet say it probably is fine, but "it's probably fine" isn't a good enough legal defense to get out of what probably would be a felony.

I'm just stuck up on this:
    [18 U.S.C. §§ 922(b)(1) and (c)(1)]

From USCCA:
    Dealers may not sell or deliver a handgun or ammunition for a handgun to any person the dealer has reasonable cause to believe is under age 21.

Lawyers are sneaky with their definitions and phrasings, so I figure that's not as cut and dry as it seems.

I know there are easier ways around this, however, I'm still curious regardless if I go through with this plan or not.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Dont chance it. The sale is technically happening before your birfday. The transfer will happen ON it.

It will PROBABLY be ok. But if its not, you could be screwed for years, and cost you thousands eventually to get it expunged and still have trouble every time you want to buy.

Patience grasshopper. Pull the trigger on the deal on your birthday just in case. And if it isnt there in a couple weeks when its time, it wasnt meant to be. Another will come along. The downsides are too harsh to gamble with it.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Call the shop you plan to do the transfer with, explain the situation and ask them.

As long as you don't take possession prior to turning 21, I don't see why they would have a problem.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Oh, and put feelers out here. Im sure somebody can sniff out one at a shop somewhere in the state you could drive to. Most shops will hold a gun for you for the rest of the day if they know you are travelling to buy it. And most shops will also special order it for you as well.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    It’s like in the Nathan for You when they sell alcohol to teenagers, they just have to wait until they are 21 to carry it out, but they can take pictures with it. I wouldn’t even chance it over a few days, but prob would be fine.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Call the shop you plan to do the transfer with, explain the situation and ask them.

As long as you don't take possession prior to turning 21, I don't see why they would have a problem.
    After further thought, the seller has to be a private individual for the sale to be legal @20. If its a gun shop selling on Gunbroker it would be a problem. If its a private seller you should be GTG. *But its probably still a good idea to wait.

EvJames22

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2022
    Decatur
    It’s like in the Nathan for You when they sell alcohol to teenagers, they just have to wait until they are 21 to carry it out, but they can take pictures with it. I wouldn’t even chance it over a few days, but prob would be fine.
    I was just telling my dad about that Nathan for You clip today in the same context. haha

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    In years past, attaining the chronological age of 21 was a milestone on the pathway to mature adulthood.
    At that age, one should be able to make clear, logical decisions regarding matters large and small.
    One should also be well versed on a concept known as "delayed gratification" by this time.
    Subscribing to these concepts should inform you not to take a needless risk, just to gift yourself on your birthday.
    You're not a seven year old, nor even a sweet sixteen, you're a grown man, and as such, should be satisfied that you are in a position to afford, and obtain, that which your heart desires. A few days delay in possession, juxtaposed against the possible legal fallout, is a trivial inconvenience.
    Many people have to save for years to purchase their wants. Some have to wait until their children are grown and independent, before they can rationalize frivolous spending on a desired "want".

This is not to chastise you, merely to give you food for thought.
    The few days delay will fade into insignificance while you spend years enjoying your gift to yourself.

Oh, and Happy Birthday.

EvJames22

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2022
    Decatur
    In years past, attaining the chronological age of 21 was a milestone on the pathway to mature adulthood.
    At that age, one should be able to make clear, logical decisions regarding matters large and small.
    One should also be well versed on a concept known as "delayed gratification" by this time.
    Subscribing to these concepts should inform you not to take a needless risk, just to gift yourself on your birthday.
    You're not a seven year old, nor even a sweet sixteen, you're a grown man, and as such, should be satisfied that you are in a position to afford, and obtain, that which your heart desires. A few days delay in possession, juxtaposed against the possible legal fallout, is a trivial inconvenience.
    Many people have to save for years to purchase their wants. Some have to wait until their children are grown and independent, before they can rationalize frivolous spending on a desired "want".

This is not to chastise you, merely to give you food for thought.
    The few days delay will fade into insignificance while you spend years enjoying your gift to yourself.

Oh, and Happy Birthday.
    Thank you for the words of wisdom and for the birthday wish. Although I may have written the OP in a manner that could be construed as rash, I can confidently say patience and perspective are some of my stronger virtues. As I alluded to in the OP, I would never risk something so potentially ruinous on something so silly and inconsequential, especially on the grounds of "it's probably fine."

I just was more so curious if one of the (strong, handsome, and high-IQ:naughty:) members of this forum had a definitive legal explanation, and if so, I might as well look into it further, variety is the spice of life.

But if not, such is life, c'est la vie, that's how the cookie crumbles, or whatever other expression works the best. I've waited 4-5 years to buy a handgun, like you said, I'm a big boy, what're a couple more weeks.

SmokingTrigger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2023
    Hancock County
    A little late on this, but you could probably go to your LGS, tell them you wish to purchase that particular gun on your 21st birthday and they may go ahead and order it and have it set aside for you on your birthday.

Having been on both sides of the gun counter it isn't a weird request. Just talk to them and they may make it happen.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Any gun shop won’t have a problem selling you a handgun before your 21st birthday.

Every gun shop will have a problem if they TRANSFER it to you before you’re 21!

I sold quite a few handguns to 20 year olds, but made them wait till they’re over 21 to transfer it to them.

Top Bottom