Question for you people with kids... Or maybe no kids?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Yep, Nestor the Long Eared Christmas Donkey...

That night, soldiers arrive from the Roman Empire in need of donkeys. After removing the socks from Nestor’s ears, the soldiers think that the owner of the stable, Olaf, was trying to trick them. Olaf offers to give them Nestor for free, but the soldiers instead take all of the other donkeys for free but leave Nestor. Enraged, Olaf throws Nestor out into a blizzard, where Nestor's mother sacrifices her life to shield him from the cold.
    I vaguely remember that as a child in the target audience when it was broadcast.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    This time of year always has be engaging in the never-ending debate as to whether it's better to have everything available all the time or whether the scarcity made Christmas "specials" more special which may have more value than availability.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    We had to WAIT to see Rudolph, Wizard of Oz, etc. until they were broadcast on TV. Waiting...what's that?
    My sad sob story: War of the Worlds (the original, not a Christmas movie, like Die Hard is) was always on TV after my school-year bed time. My parents assured me that it would be on in the summer when I could watch it. I still haven't seen it. Yes, I could watch it any time now, but that would take the power out of my sad story.

And it's all about the story...

Jsomerset

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2016
    Somerset
    This time of year always has be engaging in the never-ending debate as to whether it's better to have everything available all the time or whether the scarcity made Christmas "specials" more special which may have more value than availability.
    I vote to air them the 7 days prior. Seems to me like the airing of those movies and the build up to was almost as thrilling as the day itself. Who can forget Burl Ives narration and songs in Rudolph. I believe that kids today may be numb with the over saturation of holiday fodder in general. We all need something to look forward. Kind of like the pretty girlfriend, if she is hanging off your arm smooching on you all the time how is a date on Saturday night going to be an event.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    We had to WAIT to see Rudolph, Wizard of Oz, etc. until they were broadcast on TV. Waiting...what's that?
    My sad sob story: War of the Worlds (the original, not a Christmas movie, like Die Hard is) was always on TV after my school-year bed time. My parents assured me that it would be on in the summer when I could watch it. I still haven't seen it. Yes, I could watch it any time now, but that would take the power out of my sad story.

And it's all about the story...
    You really should watch it though, it's pretty good, even if the effects are dated by today's standard. That pepperoni-fingered martian still managed to scare us growing up, somehow...

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    Bambi's mother was harvested humanely by a hunter that nailed her on the run.
    Sure, he should have had a cake shot when she was feeding with her fawn. But fortunately Bambi was on the run and didn't witness his mom going down like a sack of potatoes. So it all turned out for the best for little Bambi.
    * A hungry hunter's family was fed.
    * Bambi wasn't taught to stand on the side of the road, then bolt in front of a logger's F100.
    * Bambi got to meet his dad. Something his mother never would have allowed, given the bad breakup.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At my Hermitage
    No kids, never seen either of those movies or read the books, but never read/saw Old Yeller cause I know how it ends.

JMO, keep Christmas happy for your kids. Best to you, and Merry Christmas….. :thumbsup:
    When my sons were little (pre k), all the boys would out vote the girls at the day care in what movie to watch after nap time. 'Old yeller, Old yeller, Old yeller' they would chant. Old yeller apparently was a hit. :thumbsup:

Reactions: Mij

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    You really should watch it though, it's pretty good, even if the effects are dated by today's standard. That pepperoni-fingered martian still managed to scare us growing up, somehow...
    I liked the original War of the Worlds better than the Cruise version.

And yes, the old one had some major changes from the book.
    I still enjoyed it better.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    I liked the original War of the Worlds better than the Cruise version.

And yes, the old one had some major changes from the book.
    I still enjoyed it better.
    I never actually read the book, or saw the newer movie, so the 1953 version is the only one I know. From what I've heard, though, it has very little in common at all with the book, other than the basic premise and ending. Weren't the martians using tripods to invade in the book? I think I heard they originally wanted to keep that detail in the 1953 movie, but the "swan" ships ended up being much more practical from an effects standpoint.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I never actually read the book, or saw the newer movie, so the 1953 version is the only one I know. From what I've heard, though, it has very little in common at all with the book, other than the basic premise and ending. Weren't the martians using tripods to invade in the book? I think I heard they originally wanted to keep that detail in the 1953 movie, but the "swan" ships ended up being much more practical from an effects standpoint.

The book took place in England... I understand Hollywood figures "American" will sell better.
    Just like the war movies, that are America-centric.

The book had tripods, the old movie went to anti-grav floaty. I THINK the new movie went back to tripods.

Book had a fight against a ship.

I can't remember what else.
    I looked up differences between the book and movies... and there's a bunch of analysis on it.

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    The book took place in England... I understand Hollywood figures "American" will sell better.
    Just like the war movies, that are America-centric.

The book had tripods, the old movie went to anti-grav floaty. I THINK the new movie with back to tripods.

Book had a fight against a ship.

I can't remember what else.
    I looked up differences between the book and movies... and there's a bunch of analysis on it.

Also, if I remember the book had a fauna/fungus that was taking over the land.

Top Bottom