• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PTinbound

Marksman
    Aug 27, 2009
    DeMotte
    Hey guys, sadly it has gotten to the point that I can't fit all my stuff in my first Johnson safe and I have to play "lifeboat" and decide which ones go in the safe and which ones don't (and yet no one feels sorry for me). Thinking about ordering another one. So, as far as the combination goes, do y'all recommend getting the second one with the same combination or a new one? What are the pro/cons for each?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I had three safes before I sold my collection to pay for school. I had all three combinations set the same. No way I could remember three combinations and which safe is which in addition to all the other numbers in my life, especially under stress. As far as security, if some harmful person could open one safe, my personal security would be compromised to the point that opening the other two would not have any greater effect.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Aug 15, 2008
    They're all different which maximizes the diversification - they each have to be compromised individually.

There's almost always a trade off between convenience and security.

lazarus0213

Sharpshooter
    Jan 29, 2010
    Eden
    I have a few and they all have thier own combos. I see no good reason to have them all the same, if one is compromised they all are compromised.

longbarrel

Expert
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    If it is easier for you, then I would do it. If someone can crack one of his safes with a combo un-lock, then they are really good or you really have some rare, valuable, ****.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I have 2 safes with the same combo. Easy and lazy of me.
    I knew a professional crook that reminded me that locks are to keep honest people honest and they can only hope to slow down a thief.

Top Bottom