• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    I saw some of the mounting on lovemywoods steel targets. I have always used chain in the past for steel but i saw your horse mat idea and thought that might better for rifle because IF you hit the chain directly with a big enough/fast enough rifle round you can cut the chain. How does the horse mat hold up over time of being shot? But i guess my main concern is ...is the ring of the steel "muted" or "muffled" by the rubber horse mat? I would almost think it would be but i wasn't sure. Thanks in advance!

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    yeah i thought about that.....and i would imagine that seat belts (being the thinnest) would dampen the sound the least. but they would also probly not hold up to as many shots. I was really just curious how much it would cut down on the ring of the steel. I like the idea of the rubber mat because it should steady the target much faster also but if it mutes the steel then no thanks.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    chuddly sorry for just now seeing this! I was out of town this past week.

I assume you're referencing this thread: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...85-built_a_6_position_steel_target_stand.html

fvvkhs.jpg

After trying several different materials we settled on the horse stall mats because they gave enough motion when stuck without swinging wildly. However, they do indeed mute the sound of the ringing steel. We found that using some nuts as spacers did help, but it still doesn't give the kind of ring that is typical.

The mats do soak up errant rounds quite well.

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    chuddly sorry for just now seeing this! I was out of town this past week.

I assume you're referencing this thread: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...85-built_a_6_position_steel_target_stand.html

fvvkhs.jpg

After trying several different materials we settled on the horse stall mats because they gave enough motion when stuck without swinging wildly. However, they do indeed mute the sound of the ringing steel. We found that using some nuts as spacers did help, but it still doesn't give the kind of ring that is typical.

The mats do soak up errant rounds quite well.

Thanks for the reply and no big deal that ya didnt see it till now. I went with chain but the shots that some people shot that were just off target beat the crap out of the strongest chain i could buy. I will probly go to the horse mat and give that a go.

Top Bottom