• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChaoticMunky

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    MSG2 - Lawrence, IN
    A friend and I were having a discussion about having a round chambered and a topic came up that neither of us knew the answer too. If you have a round chambered and you go to clear the weapon, but the slide slips from your grip and goes back forward, will the weapon fire the round? I know if the slide is pulled back far enough that it ejects the round, or if not that far back and it slips that it could jam the round, but if it slips before that could it fire?

Wanted to get some clarification on the matter! Thanks!

JustOneMore

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2010
    Franklin
    As said before it "could" happen but is unlikely, But always assume it will!!! ;) To me that scenario is no diferent than the slide "slamming" closed after a shot as a new bullet is chambered.:dunno:

MJ317

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Greenwood
    Miss Chambered round

If you are referring to an AR, I have had many rounds jam like this on the ranges and have never had one go off. :shoot:

BIG TIM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fountaintown
    As long as the firing pin is not protruding or extending beyond the breech face, the weapon should not fire. Normally the only time the firing pin extends beyond the breech face is when the hammer strikes it and then, only momentarilly. But, as a safe practice , always point your firearm in a safe direction!

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    120   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    Don't know that I can add much more than what's been said. But better safe than sorry. So error on the side of 'it could happen'. If it's a firearm with an external hammer, like a 1911, that hammer is driving forward too if it didn't get back far enough to stay cocked. There's lots of factors to consider, but I'd hate to be the one to say 'yep, it happened to me'.

I haven't used these, but the instructors at one of the courses I attended strongly suggested these items and they look like a fine idea if you will be clearing a weapon where there is really no safe direction.

safe direction gun handling safety and training products

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Wasn't there a fatal accident just a few weeks ago caused by a shotgun that fired upon closing up, with no finger on the trigger? Not exactly like a semiauto slamfire, but pretty close.
    And yes, yes, YES it can happen. No, not very often, but do you want someone you love, or even someone you don't love, in front of the muzzle when it does?
    That's why the 4 rules exist! Learn 'em! Live 'em! Love 'em!

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Most modern handguns have firring pin safeties that would prevent this from occurring. A 1911, based on the series 70 design could potentially slam-fire if the firing pin spring is too weak. That is why Colt designed the series 80, and other 1911 manufacturers incorporated the Schwartz safety system into their designs. Springfield still utilizes the series 70 system, but they utilize a light titanium firing pin and an extra strength firing pin spring to minimize the chance of a slam-fire incident on many of their 1911's.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    If you own a handgun with a firing pin safety, it can't happen. If you don't own a handgun with a firing pin safety, sell it and buy one with a firing pin safety.

Having said that, always follow the firearm golden rule. If you don't intent to shoot it, don't point a gun at it.

furbymac

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    noblesville
    Wasn't there a fatal accident just a few weeks ago caused by a shotgun that fired upon closing up, with no finger on the trigger? Not exactly like a semiauto slamfire, but pretty close.
    And yes, yes, YES it can happen. No, not very often, but do you want someone you love, or even someone you don't love, in front of the muzzle when it does?
    That's why the 4 rules exist! Learn 'em! Live 'em! Love 'em!
    no the kid was playing around with the 20 ga. shotgun assumed it was unloaded pointed it at his brother and pulled the trigger, or so it was reported,

ChaoticMunky

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    MSG2 - Lawrence, IN
    Thanks again for all the input! I forgot to mention it's a Generation 4 Glock 22, .40 cal. I was out at the range today and talked to a few others and none of them have had it happen to them. I just wasn't sure if it was a possibility, but I guess depending on the gun in question it's a possibility. Glad I've always been in the habit and fully aware of where the gun is being pointed, loaded or not.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    If you own a handgun with a firing pin safety, it can't happen. If you don't own a handgun with a firing pin safety, sell it and buy one with a firing pin safety.

Having said that, always follow the firearm golden rule. If you don't intent to shoot it, don't point a gun at it.

This isn't quite true, there are malfunctions and failure modes that could allow this to happen. Having said that, a normally functioning mechanically sound modern firearm will NOT fire in such a manner, but since one should ALWAYS assume that it could happen the firearm should be pointed in a safe directions as has been drilled here and elsewhere.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    Remember the four cardinal rules and you should be OK. With a "quality" firearm, the weapon should not fire. However, a revision of the four cardinal rules is in order:

1. All weapons are loaded (even if they are not).
    2. Do not point the weapon at something you do not wish to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until the sights are aligned on target.
    4. Be cognizant of what is beyond the target.

Rule Three is the "Golden Rule." More accidental/negligent discharges have occurred with a violation of Rule Three.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom