• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fire Lord

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Around Franklin
    Does anybody know if the 92s takes normal 92 mags? I know it has the release at the bottom of the grip, instead of the normal location. I am looking at the new imports of the used police trade ins.

milton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    I don't believe they do. The cut on the mags are different. If they did, I would consider picking one up, but the fact that you can't use one of the most common mags kept me from buying one.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I'll bet if you had both magazines in your hand you would see where a cut could be added with a simple hack saw and small file. I have never done that exact model, but I have some magazines to fit pistols where I could not find magazines. If the price is right, or you really want that exact model, it might be worth the effort.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    It's been a long time and my memory has failed me. I think the answer is factory 92FS mags have the 92S heal release cuts. Here's an example of some mags that will work with your gun:
    Beretta 92FS Magazine, 9mm STAINLESS STEEL BODY, 15RD
    You can see the cutout at the bottom of the mag for the lower mag release.

There may have been some mag generations that don't have the cut, I don't really recall. Best bet is before you buy, verify they have that cut out at the bottom as shown in the link above.

ps. from a quick google image seach it appears the new "sand resistant" mags do NOT have the 92S cuts. It also appears the "90-two" mags do not have the cut. Also appears the newer 17-round mags don't have the cut. So it seems the older 15-round (and 10-round) mags are what you want to look for.

-rvb

Last edited:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Does anybody know if the 92s takes normal 92 mags? I know it has the release at the bottom of the grip, instead of the normal location. I am looking at the new imports of the used police trade ins.

As a certified 92 freak, the answer is no with a maybe added. The 92S was the second version of the 92 and used mags like the original with the Euro style heal release. There are several Beretta made mags that do have the provisions for both mag lock/release. I checked their website and they show the standard Beretta factory mag can be used in all 92 models, and I just checked my own Mec-gar mag (they make mags for Beretta to factory specs) and it has the cut outs for both release locations.

FYI if you are not familiar with Berettas, their own "PB" marked mags, MDS and Mec-gar are all recognized as being good to go. MDS makes "factory" mags for Beretta and are marked identically with the exception that "PB" is replaced by "MDS". Most Beretta owners, me included, will never try another brand although as with everything, some might work.

That said, and sorry for the long answer, Beretta on their website list what mags work with which version, but other than that you will have to verify that the mag you want has the heal release. Yes they are out there, and very available.

Beretta 92FS Magazine 9mm 15 Rds - Not P

Fire Lord

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Around Franklin
    Awesome folks. Thanks for the intel. I appreciate the knowledge and willingness to share it from all. I had seen somewhere the price of $300ish for the trade ins, and thought that they were worth looking into.

PUalum04

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Hope
    Awesome folks. Thanks for the intel. I appreciate the knowledge and willingness to share it from all. I had seen somewhere the price of $300ish for the trade ins, and thought that they were worth looking into.

They are definitely worth looking into if they are still available. I picked one up from Palmetto State Armory back in November. They were $289 when I bought mine. Two weeks later they dropped them to $259!

Anyways, the pistol i received was in pretty good shape with very little wear on the exterior. I have not shot it yet but there is very little wear on the frame and slide and the action is very smooth. Like others mentioned, make sure the mags have the notch cut out on the bottom right side. If they are still available, I don't think you can go wrong.
    IMG_20150203_203956210_zpscd1yw0pe.jpg

IMG_20150203_203941249_zps2fqpozrn.jpg

IMG_20150203_204040367_zpsxbaknilt.jpg

Wazimu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    I bought one a while back. It is not one of the recent batch of imports, however. The magazines are available from Beretta, but I believe only the 15 rounders. I think this is a lot of pistol for $300. Mine acts as if the slide is on ball bearings and the finish is tight and deep blue. If you like big hammer-fired pistols, the 92S is a great gun.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom