• ...and so much more!
  • j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    That is very interesting! Did you happen to publish the results of those tests anywhere, or keep the documentation? I ask because this is in stark contrast to other comments I've read and I'm guessing it may have something to do with the total case volume of the empty round in question? Maybe you tested with a 30-'06 but with a 223 it would be a different story? I'm not saying it would, just speculating.

No and yes. We tested every rifle I had access to. Without fail you could not even tell the primer fired by sound. The mechanical sound of the firing pin dropping/hitting was the only sound.

I think the term squib load is mainly referring to cartridges with a very small amount of powder and probably in handguns. Not enough smokeless powder in a rifle cartridge can cause an explosion in and of its self.

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    I have pulled several ,and I have found that ,they drop out best using a stump to strike it against. Works way better than concrete or anything Ive tried. Maybe the end grain of the wood?

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I have shoot rounds that forgot to charge but the primer was enough to get the bullet out of the gun does this not usually happen?

IME, that NEVER happens. There is simply way too much resistance from the rifling for the pressure created by the primer to drive the bullet down the barrel and out of the gun. I don't know...MAYBE with a really short-barreled pistol and magnum primers?

What cartridge did you shoot like this where the bullet came out of the gun? Are you sure that the round didn't have SOME powder in it...a squib load?

FERLACH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Plainfield
    I never shoot other peoples reloads. If I get ammo that I am not sure is factory, I always pull the bullets and reload them myself. I have 8 fingers and 2 thumbs and want to keep it that way.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    So, what is someone to do if a bullet does make it into the bore? Gunsmith? Ram it out?

-JD-

I would probably not choose the term "Ram it out"...but yeah, that's essentially what you do. It's just that you do so very carefully, using a brass rod and judicious taps with a rubber mallet, preferably. The danger here is that the crown of your barrel is so crucial to accuracy...one little ding and you could be looking at having to take it to a gunsmith to have THAT fixed. :)

rcdouble2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2012
    Be very carefull with what you believe was a weak round that you dischared in any firearm. ALWAYS CHECK THE BARREL FOR BLOCKAGE IF YOU EXPERIENCE A SQUIB ROUND!!! Once had an experience with a .357 revolver that was almost a disaster, the projecticle did not exit the barrel, I chambered the next round and ALMOST fired it, don't exactly remember why I didn't, its was many years ago, I was younger, but it scared the $@&# out of me knowing what almost happend.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    One of the many reasons I dropped more $$$ on my powder measure than I did my press. I still hand weigh every single round loaded, and do not allow for more than .2gr variances in even plinking ammo.

I don't know how I didn't die using a lee auto-disk system all these years. I guess I was just outright lucky. Never measured anything and never had a problem back then, good thing it was all 454 casull.

I try scaling charges out of it now, and it gives me chills knowing what I must have got lucky shooting.

Top Bottom