• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    The manual that every psychiatry student studies, the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-IV-TR Manual) labels free thinkers, non conformers, civil disobedient advocates, those that question authority, and people considered hostile toward the government (aka Oath keepers and local militias) as mentally ill with the illness titled “oppositional defiant disorder” or ODD.

Maybe now all the gun-controllers who love stripping rights away from "certain" people may start to rethink their position.

Is Free Thinking A Mental Illness? | Off The Grid News

Last edited:

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Yes, if you don't love Big Brother, you must be cured, by force if necessary.

I've always known I was mentally ill. It's nice to know it has a name.

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    Not really the same thing but when I went to college I took a sociology class. Teh sociology book specifically mentioned that certain Christian denominations which I am a part of and people with "traditional" views on firearms and politics to name a few were extremists and dangerous. Crazy world we live in seems like history is repeating itself. I see more and more kids brainwashed by supposed enlightened educated sources.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    This is going to make my undiagnosed Intermittent Explosive Disorder even harder to deal with in the short term.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    One thing that laypeople often forget when looking at the DSM is that in order to be a psychiatric disorder, it has to be disabling to normal functioning. Just about all of the symptoms or criteria listed in the DSM are things that normal people can have on a transient or mild basis.

There really is such a thing as oppositional defiant disorder, and the people who have it have serious pervasive problems in all aspects of their lives. If you're able to maintain a job, work with other people, deal with authority (like your boss or your teacher), and have stable relationships with others, it's not oppositional defiant disorder.

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    Certain parties feel that it is important to provide a label/classification for groups of individuals. Then once you have been given a label/classification it's easier to pigeon-hole you, i.e., marginalize.

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    ODD is a childhood Dx. Same as conduct disorder. Unless some goofball has changed the whole critera on the DSM IV : Oppositional Defiant Disorder "
    " Oppositional Defiant Disorder
    <BLOCKQUOTE>
    <FONT size=2><FONT face=Arial>Oppositional Defiant Disorder is defined as an enduring pattern of uncooperative, defiant, and hostile behavior toward authority figures that does not involve major antisocial violations, is not accounted for by the child's developmental stage, and results in significant functional impairment. A certain level of oppositional behavior is common in children and adolescents. <SPAN style="COLOR: black">

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    One thing that laypeople often forget when looking at the DSM is that in order to be a psychiatric disorder, it has to be disabling to normal functioning. Just about all of the symptoms or criteria listed in the DSM are things that normal people can have on a transient or mild basis.

There really is such a thing as oppositional defiant disorder, and the people who have it have serious pervasive problems in all aspects of their lives. If you're able to maintain a job, work with other people, deal with authority (like your boss or your teacher), and have stable relationships with others, it's not oppositional defiant disorder.
    I agree. Why should anyone that can maintane the above need treatment. Treatment for what? Counceling is not mandatory and is not treatment.
    If a person is a good worker, has good attendance, does good work and cares about their job, cares about their safety and co-workers safety, keeps to themselves or associates with few but can't hold a job, there's something politically wrong.:twocents:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    Problems with the writers of the DSM-IV were exposed when they started to compile the DSM-V over the last year or so. When the writers were pushing for the inclusion of bi-polar disorder in infants as a recognized disorder, many leaders in the field revolted against the "DSM cult" as it was described. The last I read, the DSM-V was on indefinite hold for publishing.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    :yesway:Antsi pretty much hit the nail on the head.

The OP and this article need to do a bit more research on these things before dishing out the slander. Try reading the actual text in the DSM-IV. Or talk to some real professionals in the mental health field. The DSM-IV is merely reference material. It does not encourage the prescribing of medications.

The way the OP makes this sound and the way members instantaneously believe it makes me a tad sick to my stomach. It's classic propaganda.:twocents:

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield

The OP and this article need to do a bit more research on these things before dishing out the slander. Try reading the actual text in the DSM-IV. Or talk to some real professionals in the mental health field. The DSM-IV is merely reference material. It does not encourage the prescribing of medications.

The way the OP makes this sound and the way members instantaneously believe it makes me a tad sick to my stomach. It's classic propaganda.:twocents:

That is complete and utter crap!!! How dare you even say something like that!! When it's spoken it's slander, in print, it's libel. ;) :D

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North

It prescribes therapy in the article. It says that the "cure" hasn't been found yet and the "cause" is a mix of...uh...everything.

ODD is propaganda. They are trying to crush individuality, starting with children in schools who question teachers, because they "disrupt" the flow of BS fed to all the kids. My nephew's teacher this year tried to convince his parents that he is too chatty so he should be on Ritalin, he made the honor role this past week, what a joke these "teachers" are.

This can go no where good. Rebelling against idiot tyrants is American, we are a nation of people with "ODD" or what I like to call common sense, which is something the rest of the world has always been lacking.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Forgive me if I don't agree that everyone in America has some sort of mental condition. Things like this are just codified reasons to keep people in therapy and on drugs. Have you ever seen how many kids they are diagnosing with ADHD, just to worry their parents and keep them buying prescriptions? Then you've got ridiculous conditions like Restless Leg Syndrome. Pleeze. ODD is BS.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    wonder when we'll start seeing this as a side-effect listed on some medicines...

Rambone, I completely agree with your assessment of ADHD. it is a problem, and a serious one that significantly hampers people's ability to function, and can be treated with medicine. the number of people on meds for ADHD far exceeds the number that need it, however.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    It prescribes therapy in the article. It says that the "cure" hasn't been found yet and the "cause" is a mix of...uh...everything.

ODD is propaganda. They are trying to crush individuality, starting with children in schools who question teachers, because they "disrupt" the flow of BS fed to all the kids. My nephew's teacher this year tried to convince his parents that he is too chatty so he should be on Ritalin, he made the honor role this past week, what a joke these "teachers" are.

This can go no where good. Rebelling against idiot tyrants is American, we are a nation of people with "ODD" or what I like to call common sense, which is something the rest of the world has always been lacking.

While I agree that there are plenty of mis-diagnoses and an abundance of overt-prescribed head medications, that in itself is not a valid reason to rule out the entire diagnosis. As with ALL things in life, a few bad apples should not be used to rule out the legitamacy of an entire field.

Forgive me if I don't agree that everyone in America has some sort of mental condition. Things like this are just codified reasons to keep people in therapy and on drugs. Have you ever seen how many kids they are diagnosing with ADHD, just to worry their parents and keep them buying prescriptions? Then you've got ridiculous conditions like Restless Leg Syndrome. Pleeze. ODD is BS.

I agree Rambone, there are many kids who are over-prescribed medications and falsely diagnosed. It does not, however, make the entire thing BS. You need to think outside of absolutes for a minute and look at those who practice logical prospective. This whole argument reminds me alot of the political game in this world. Not everything is black and white.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Forgive me if I don't agree that everyone in America has some sort of mental condition.

That's not what clinicians are saying. In fact, the DSM specifically says just the opposite. Basically what it says is "none of these things constitute a mental disorder unless they are disabling to your ability to function in life."

So, for an example, let's take paranoia.

Bob distrusts the government, and thinks that 99% of federal agencies are self-serving power-grabbing tyrannical bureaucracies. He does things to try to protect his privacy and independence. At the same time, he holds down a productive job, is happily married, and is raising three healthy kids.

Bob does not have a mental disease, and although laypeople might characterize his beliefs about the government as "paranoid," he does not meet the clinical definition of paranoia.

Joe believes that Martians are sending mind waves to the Pope, who puts bad thoughts into his head to control his actions. Joe hasn't been able to hold a job for the last fifteen years because he literally believes that everyone he encounters is part of a conspiracy to destroy his life. He has extreme difficulty with simple tasks like balancing a checkbook because he cannot follow a logical train of thought from a to b to c. He has no friends and no relationships; hasn't spoken to his family in 10 years. He frequently has encounters with the police because his public behavior is so bizarre that people are concerned he may harm himself or others and so they call 911 on him.

Joe does have a mental disease. People like Joe often do better on meds than they do when they're off their meds.

Now, yes, there may be idiots in the government and/or the media who do not understand the distinction between these two cases. But that doesn't mean that there is no distinction.

Have you ever seen how many kids they are diagnosing with ADHD, just to worry their parents and keep them buying prescriptions?

Yes, ADD is way overdiagnosed, but I don't think the driver is pharmaceutical companies. The root of this problem is more in the educational system than the health care system: schools that are way too boring for bright kids, way too sedentary for active kids, and way too passive, feminized, and academic for most boys. Our educational system is based on the idea that everyone should grow up to be a college professor, and anyone who does not fit this mold is defective and needs to be medicated.

When parents go to see a clinician about ADHD, it's not because the clinician or the drug company has been brainwashing them to be worried. It's because their kid is having a hard time in school. They come to the clinician already worried that their child will not be able to learn and will not have success in life. The clinician can't fix the school system, but he/she can adjust the kid's brain chemistry.

I do believe there is real ADD, and there's pretty solid evidence that kids who meet the diagnostic criteria can function better on meds. But there's also a lot of medicating normal kids to make them fit into a messed up system.

Top Bottom