• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I had a bit of a rough time with this rifle. Every time I went to order, it was sold out in all colors (I really wanted FDE but maybe next I'll do that with the next build) but I finally got lucky the beginning of this month. I had it sitting around for about a week and it was killing me. I wanted to get the lower built so I could have the rifle finished (for now, there will probably be some minor changes). My class schedule wasn't allowing me enough time to sit down and get it done.

This morning I decided that it was time to get it built and out of the way. The build process went fairly smoothly other than dropping the bolt catch roll pin in the garage and not knowing where it bounced. A trip to the hardware store for the proper size and things were underway. I haven't had a chance to hit the range but everything function checks 100%.

I didn't take any pics of the process because I'm a horrible photographer and there are tons of pics all over the internet. The final product did get a few pics snapped. Here it is.

I just need to get a free afternoon to hit the range and then it'll be on to planning the next build (while putting as many rounds down range as time and school allow).

haithere.jpg

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    What's the difference between a mock dissipator and a real one?

"Mock", in this case, means that there isn't a rifle-length gas system under that handguard. So that front sight base is actually hanging out there on the barrel by itself, and the gas tube is connected to a low-profile gas block.

The real dissipators had rifle-length gas systems.

Mock
    large_xstu5950b.jpg

Real
    dissA1bbl.jpg

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Why would someone choose one over the other? I've noticed it seems like most dissys you see today are mock. Was there a reliability issue with the real ones? It seems like they might have a lot of the same problems as a 10.5 sbr only maximized because of the longer distance for the gas to travel.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Why would someone choose one over the other? I've noticed it seems like most dissys you see today are mock. Was there a reliability issue with the real ones? It seems like they might have a lot of the same problems as a 10.5 sbr only maximized because of the longer distance for the gas to travel.

The way I understand it, there was some reliability issues with some of the dissipators using a rifle length gas system on a 16" barrel. I've seen quite a few people that cut down a 20" to a 16" and opened up the gas port some for reliability.

Top Bottom