• ...and so much more!
  • karlsgunbunker

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    Junk Silver

but who knows? As barter? I think that could be a good idea, especially if you acquire some small denomination 90% silver US coins which can be easily bartered. There will be some things (like medicine and health care) that you can't stockpile.

1964 and earlier Coins (dimes, quarters, half-dollars, dollars) are 90% pure silver. The circulated coins which have little or no Collector Value are called "Junk Silver".
    Always check your change for Junk Silver (easiest way to get it).
    You can also buy it on E-Bay.
    Be sure to check the Spot Price and pay as little above that as possible.
    Silver is down to $10 now and IMO this is an artificially low price.
    The chart below shows the silver content of Pre - 1965 U.S. Coins.

0.7234 troy ounces of silver per dollar of face value

Silver dollars contain 0.77344 Troy oz. silver

Half dollars contain 0.36169 Troy oz silver

Quarters contain 0.18084 Troy oz silver

Dimes contain 0.0723 Troy oz silver

Sterling Silver – 92.5% Silver

Avoirdupois ounce = 28.349523125 g

Troy ounce = 31.1034768 g

A $1.00 worth (face value) of silver dimes weighs the same (and has the same silver content) as a $1.00 in silver quarters, which also weighs the same as $1.00 in silver half dollars. For example 10 dimes, 4 quarters, or 2 halves all have the same weight and are 90% pure silver composition. A typical dollar face value in US silver coins will contain silver equal to about 71 % of a troy ounce of pure refined silver.

Last edited:

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I own ten silver bars of 100 troy oz each. They are worth much much more today than I paid for them many years ago. I think I paid about 3 USD per oz. The price of silver has gone up and down over the years. It had a high a few months ago of about 18 USD. Down in the past number of months to about 15 USD currently, so I am still way ahead. I don't check prices very often. Will I ever sell them? Not if I don't have to. They are so pretty to look at and to hold. Plus, I don't have much to leave my loved ones. I will give the bars to the family when I am gone.

karlsgunbunker

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    I own ten silver bars of 100 troy oz each. They are worth much much more today than I paid for them many years ago. I think I paid about 3 USD per oz. The price of silver has gone up and down over the years. It had a high a few months ago of about 18 USD. Down in the past number of months to about 15 USD currently, so I am still way ahead. I don't check prices very often. Will I ever sell them? Not if I don't have to. They are so pretty to look at and to hold. Plus, I don't have much to leave my loved ones. I will give the bars to the family when I am gone.

I prefer 1oz bars, rounds and coins.
    Easier to transport and trade.
    The 100oz are called Investment Bars and are meant for long term investment.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    You posted this in the Survival forum so I assume you are thinking about precious metals to use as currency when things go South? Might I suggest buying alcohol and ammunition instead? Commodities such as this will be (IMHO) much more valuable than gold in the event of a total collapse.

Cigs too.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Gold and silver are OK to have, but there are other things one can get as well. For starters, a machine that makes/rolls your own cigarettes can be worthwhile as well as alcohol. When it comes to precious metals, I only focus on one thing: 40% silver Kennedy Halves. With the 40% silver halves, your not risking that much of your investment because each coin will be at least worth .50 as long as the US Gov is around to back it. So say you get a few thousand dollars worth of silver, but need to off-load it quick, you have hedge your bets. The only silver I would ever buy is the junk silver. Silver rounds seem silly to me. While they might be stamped .999 pure silver, who really knows that is true? The coins can have various stampings, which may or may not be identifiable. Stick with bags of US silver coins, mostly the 40% halves if you can.

Annie Oakley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Rural southern Indiana
    Years ago we bought some silver bars and silver dimes. They are tucked away and will probably never used but are there if I need quick cash in "good" times. If they aren't any good in "bad" times I can always have them made into jewelry!!!

Top Bottom