• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kase

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Crawfordsville
    OK so I'm pretty young, and don't understand what the whole preban/postban is. My dad was telling me about a Preban yugo underfolder that he may be getting, and I'm not really sure what that means?

So my questions are......
    When was this ban??
    And what exactly was banned??
    What makes a preban Ak worth so much more??
    How do you tell if it's preban??
    And how much are preban ak's worth?

Sorry for all the questions, but thanks for any help

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The "ban" is the 1994 assault weapons ban signed into law by Clinton and sunsetted in 2004.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    During the ban (when we didn't know if it would be sunsetted or not), you could still buy and sell them, you just couldn't produce new ones. That drove the prices up. When the ban expired, the artificially-inflated prices started to come back down.

That said, there may be other features of a particular pre-ban rifle that a buyer may find collectible and therefore worth a higher price.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    But my question still stands....what makes them worth more, if they are no different than a new ak?
    Pre import-ban rifles are all original. They take an original AK-47, send it over here, and put importer marks on it. This rifles was all-original, built on an original receiver using the original manufacturing equipment.

Post-import-ban rifles were torch-cut, then sent over here as parts kits, demilled, then reassembled on new virgin receivers and have US compliance parts installed. If the demil and rebuild are done properly there is nothing wrong with these, but it does leave a possibility of screw-ups in the equation.

The pre-ban rifles are more popular just for their originality mostly. But your chances of getting a "perfect" rifle are likely better.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    During the ban (when we didn't know if it would be sunsetted or not), you could still buy and sell them, you just couldn't produce new ones. That drove the prices up. When the ban expired, the artificially-inflated prices started to come back down.

That said, there may be other features of a particular pre-ban rifle that a buyer may find collectible and therefore worth a higher price.

And in some states they signed into state law their version of the AWB so these prebans are desirable in those states because it allows them to have the evil features: hi-cap mags, pistol grip, bayo lug etc...

But yes, here in Indiana it really has no impact other than collectability or future resale (to the banned states).

HTH,

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    But my question still stands....what makes them worth more, if they are no different than a new ak?

People want them and they ain't making/importing anymore.

They can still import Ak's, but they are neutered to meet import regulations. Currently imported Ak's have to be reworked to meet 922r before they can have "evil" features (ie high cap mags, folding stocks etc)

Also many of the Pre 1989 guns were Chinese which are still banned by country to this day (no more Chinese guns ever).

Top Bottom