• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NotAnthony

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Mar 25, 2023
    North Vernon
    I want to take my son this year for the youth hunt. I and my father (his) grandfather both killed our first deer with black powder but I’m thinking 30 grains and a 250 grain sat

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    What rifle and caliber?

My grandson got his first with a Uberti 66 in .44-40. 36 gr FFFg Goex, lubed felt wad, 200 gr SPG lubed lead RNFP it dropped where it was standing.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    With mine I had a first gen 50 cal Knight ML. You could buy 50 cal sabots that held 44 or 45 caliber pistol bullets. I started them with 45 cal 185 grain HP's being pushed with one or two 30 grain Pryodex pistol pellets. It was soft on them.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Real blackpowder or pyrodex? 90 grains of pyrodex isn't hard to handle and shooting at a deer he'd never notice if you upped it to 100 gr or a couple pellets. I'd want it close too so a miss is unlikely. Want him to experience success, not have a finishing shot be necessary. Bawling thrashing deer is tough to experience on a first. I like starting them on squirrels first. Starlings and english sparrows if the opportunity is present. Small targets mean good aim is developed.
    I'm just stating my preference and not assuming you've never had him hunt anything before. No insult or disrespect intended.

Top Bottom