Dec 30, 2008
    underground
    Police Harassment
    Recently, the Chula Vista Police Department ran an e-mail forum (a
    question and answer exchange) with the topic being, "Community Policing."

One of the civilian email participants posed the following question, "I
    would like to know how it is possible for police officers to continually
    harass people and get away with it?"

From the "other side" (the law enforcement side) Sgt. Bennett, obviously a cop with a sense of humor replied:

"First of all, let me tell you this...it's not easy. In Chula Vista, we average one cop for every 600 people. Only about 60% of those cops are on general duty (or what you might refer to as "patrol") where we do most of our harassing.

The rest are in non-harassing departments that do not allow them contact with the day to day innocents. And at any given moment, only one-fifth of the 60% patrollers are on duty and available for harassing people while the rest are off duty. So roughly, one cop is responsible for harassing about 5,000 residents.

When you toss in the commercial business, and tourist locations that
    attract people from other areas, sometimes you have a situation where a single cop is responsible for harassing 10,000 or more people a day.

Now, your average ten-hour shift runs 36,000 seconds long. This gives a cop one second to harass a person, and then only three-fourths of a second to eat a donut AND then find a new person to harass. This is not an easy task. To be honest, most cops are not up to this challenge day in and day out. It is just too tiring. What we do is utilize some tools to help us narrow down those people which we can realistically harass.

The tools available to us are as follows:

PHONE
    : People will call us up and point out things that cause us to focus on a person for special harassment. "My neighbor is beating his wife" is a code phrase used often. This means we'll come out and give somebody some special harassment. Another popular one is, "There's a guy breaking into a house." The harassment team is then put into action.

CARS: We have special cops assigned to harass people who drive. They like to harass the drivers of fast cars, cars with no insurance or no driver's licenses and the like. It's lots of fun when you pick them out of traffic for nothing more obvious than running a red light. Sometimes you get to really heap the harassment on when you find they have drugs in
    the car, they are drunk, or have an outstanding warrant on file.

RUNNERS: Some people take off running just at the sight of a
    police officer. Nothing is quite as satisfying as running after them like a beagle on the scent of a bunny. When you catch them you can harass them for hours.

STATUTES
    : When we don't have PHONES or CARS and have nothing better to do, there are actually books that give us ideas for reasons to harass folks. They are called "Statutes"; Criminal Codes, Motor Vehicle Codes, etc...
    They all spell out all sorts of things for which you can really mess with
    people. After you read the statute, you can just drive around for awhile until you find someone violating one of these listed offenses and harass them. Just last week I saw a guy trying to steal a car. Well, there's this book we have that says that's not allowed. That meant I got permission to harass this guy. It is a really cool system that we have set up, and it works pretty well.

We seem to have a never-ending supply of folks to harass. And we get away with it. Why? Because for the good citizens who pay the tab, we try to keep the streets safe for them, and they pay us to "harass" some people.

Next time you are in my town, give me the old "single finger wave."
    That's another one of those codes. It means, "You can't harass me."

It's one of our favorites.

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    SpockWin.jpg

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    :rofl:

That was awesome, I'd like to meet that guy...Seems like a cool mofo.

BTW, dumb question...

Next time you are in my town, give me the old "single finger wave."
    That's another one of those codes. It means, "You can't harass me."

What exactly does this mean? I'm pretty sure that isn't against the law...Is he just saying that if you flip off a PO, you're likely to get "harassed" because you are singling yourself out by drawing attention to yourself by doing something stupid?

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    What exactly does this mean? I'm pretty sure that isn't against the law...Is he just saying that if you flip off a PO, you're likely to get "harassed" because you are singling yourself out by drawing attention to yourself by doing something stupid?

It means that any violation of an infraction or city ordinance that you may be committing while flipping off the PO, no matter how petty, will be strictly enforced even though it was more than likely being overlooked or ignored before you gave the officer the "bird."

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    It means that any violation of an infraction or city ordinance that you may be committing while flipping off the PO, no matter how petty, will be strictly enforced even though it was more than likely being overlooked or ignored before you gave the officer the "bird."

This.........and don't forget the whole "I thought you were tryng to flag me down for some problem.....is everything OK?"

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake

This.........and don't forget the whole "I thought you were tryng to flag me down for some problem.....is everything OK?"

Oh, OK, I see what you are saying...

I'm an adult that is an upstanding, law-abiding citizen(great movie BTW, just saw it today) that would never think about doing something as petty and immature as flipping a PO off for zero reason, but if I was sitting on my front porch, sipping on an iced tea watching the cars go by and I decided to one-finger salute a cop driving by, would he have any reason to stop? If he did stop, could I be cited for something, since I was doing absolutely nothing wrong at the time?

These are genuine questions BTW, I'm not trying to start anything by ANY means.

1032JBT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville

I'm an adult that is an upstanding, law-abiding citizen(great movie BTW, just saw it today) that would never think about doing something as petty and immature as flipping a PO off for zero reason, but if I was sitting on my front porch, sipping on an iced tea watching the cars go by and I decided to one-finger salute a cop driving by, would he have any reason to stop? If he did stop, could I be cited for something, since I was doing absolutely nothing wrong at the time?

My first reaction, probably not the best idea but still the first one, would be to return the salute and drive on thinking nothing else about it. But I have approached people that have flipped me off and asked if they needed assistance. Someone sitting on the porch........nope, not another thought about it. Someone driving in a car.......if I had nothing else to do I *might* look for an infraction, would I ticket them for that infraction, no probably not as I don't write a lot of tickets anyway. What is more likely is I turn around on them or get behind them and when they turn into the next gas station (because they always do)....I approach them and ask if they needed help. When they tell me "no" I just tell them that they really should use all their fingers when waving. Normally the person at the gas pump beside them pointing and laughing out loud solves the problem.

But all the above only takes place if I'm bored......I normally have much better things to do than worry about what someone thinks about me, my job, or something they percive I did/didn't do.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    My first reaction, probably not the best idea but still the first one, would be to return the salute and drive on thinking nothing else about it. But I have approached people that have flipped me off and asked if they needed assistance. Someone sitting on the porch........nope, not another thought about it. Someone driving in a car.......if I had nothing else to do I *might* look for an infraction, would I ticket them for that infraction, no probably not as I don't write a lot of tickets anyway. What is more likely is I turn around on them or get behind them and when they turn into the next gas station (because they always do)....I approach them and ask if they needed help. When they tell me "no" I just tell them that they really should use all their fingers when waving. Normally the person at the gas pump beside them pointing and laughing out loud solves the problem.

But all the above only takes place if I'm bored......I normally have much better things to do than worry about what someone thinks about me, my job, or something they percive I did/didn't do.

Thanks for the reply.

I'll never quite understand how someone can hate a uniform for no apparent reason, but I guess that's just how some idiots think.

Wait a second...Can the words "uniform" and "(sports)jersey" be interchangeable? If so, I retract my previous statement.:laugh:

1032JBT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    Thanks for the reply.

I'll never quite understand how someone can hate a uniform for no apparent reason, but I guess that's just how some idiots think.

Wait a second...Can the words "uniform" and "(sports)jersey" be interchangeable? If so, I retract my previous statement.:laugh:

I guess that depends on what "team" you play for..........:D

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    Thanks for the reply.

I think the sport analogy is a good one. It only takes a few bad apples to make people lose support for a team. Take a look at the Pacers.
    All the bad apples are gone now, but many people still refer to them as thugs. The team is off to another bad start and attendance is suffering horribly since the "Thug" incidents.
    I think the same thing goes for LEOs, the problem is many people just see the uniform and have a problem. The problem cops may be from some other place but the stigma gets attached to all.:twocents:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Awaits hornadylnl...

If you think my hatred is only for the "jersey", I give up. We should all just get out our pom pom's and cheer Bamo, Reid and Pelosi on as they finish murdering what was once a great country. Those who trash our property rights are no different than those who would take our 2A.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Sleeping bears

It is legal to exercise your free speech and show your opinion of LEO's. Just make sure beforehand that you are obeying all laws and ordinances or else be willing to accept the consequences. As the saying goes "Before you poke a sleeping bear with a stick, make sure your shoes are tied."

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia

Is it anything similar to the following police report?

Narrative: on 07/08/07, at approximately 0326 hours, i was traveling northbound in the 6100 block of n. College ave. in my fully marked impd police vehicle and in full uniform. I had my windows rolled down. I heard a male voice calling for a pig, he was saying "suey! Piggy! Piggy!" I looked over and observed three white males and a white female walking southbound on the east side of n. College ave.

One of the white males wearing blue jeans and a light colored buttoned up shirt looked directly at me with red glassy bloodshot eyes and said, "suey piggy, piggy." i was concerned that the man had lost his pig and that it might have been roaming around in the broad ripple area so i decided to stop and assist him, because i know how devastating a loss of pet can be. I identified the white male subject from an indiana driver's license as james adam mcgrath, dob 1/22/82. While i was speaking with mr. Mcgrath about his possible lost pig, i smelled a strong odor commonly associated with alcoholic beverages on his breath and person. His speech was also slightly slurred.
    I placed mr. Mcgrath under arrest for public intoxication and he was transported to the apc by a marion county jail wagon. I searched the entire broad ripple area and unfortunately was not able to locate any lost pigs. All of the above occurred in marion county, indianapolis, indiana.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Is it anything similar to the following police report?

Narrative: on 07/08/07, at approximately 0326 hours, i was traveling northbound in the 6100 block of n. College ave. in my fully marked impd police vehicle and in full uniform. I had my windows rolled down. I heard a male voice calling for a pig, he was saying "suey! Piggy! Piggy!" I looked over and observed three white males and a white female walking southbound on the east side of n. College ave.

One of the white males wearing blue jeans and a light colored buttoned up shirt looked directly at me with red glassy bloodshot eyes and said, "suey piggy, piggy." i was concerned that the man had lost his pig and that it might have been roaming around in the broad ripple area so i decided to stop and assist him, because i know how devastating a loss of pet can be. I identified the white male subject from an indiana driver's license as james adam mcgrath, dob 1/22/82. While i was speaking with mr. Mcgrath about his possible lost pig, i smelled a strong odor commonly associated with alcoholic beverages on his breath and person. His speech was also slightly slurred.
    I placed mr. Mcgrath under arrest for public intoxication and he was transported to the apc by a marion county jail wagon. I searched the entire broad ripple area and unfortunately was not able to locate any lost pigs. All of the above occurred in marion county, indianapolis, indiana.

While this is funny, I wonder if that was actually put into a police report. I don't think sarcasm is very professional.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    If you think my hatred is only for the "jersey", I give up. We should all just get out our pom pom's and cheer Bamo, Reid and Pelosi on as they finish murdering what was once a great country. Those who trash our property rights are no different than those who would take our 2A.

Then what else is it?

Whether you hate them for their location, players, or political beliefs, when you see a Colts jersey/uniform, you don't like it. That was all I was trying to say.

Top Bottom