• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jenn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2014
    Indianapolis
    As if now, I have decided to hold off on looking for a self defense handgun, but rather a gun that I can learn the basics with..

I want a gun that will help me become comfortable! I know some people can go right into 9mm and such, but my 2nd and 3rd range visit I got super nervous and flinched almost every time there was a "boom" near me. I guess my ears are kind of sensitive...

I am also thinking that the obvious answer is to get a "plinker" before getting serious about a self defense caliber. Once I am comfortable with plinking I might have a better idea of what I want and can handle.

My plan is to look at small caliber hand guns to see what feels best in my hands, and then learn the mechanisms of that gun. I also will buy some snap caps to practice ejecting and all that.

I know a lot of this is based on preference, but it'd be nice to hear advice and what calibers or models you guys recommend.
    Should a plinking gun be a .22 LR? or can it be a 32 acp?
    What about barrel length/size of gun/weight?

*I'm asking about barrel length and the size of gun because I've heard that beginners are better with longer barrels and not something too light in weight; does it matter as much with a smaller caliber?*

BTW I read on the forums that many people like the SR22, so that might be something I will consider :)

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Starting with a small caliber for learning is a perfectly valid path. To address some of your points:

• I'd recommend a .22 over a .25 or .32. Those other calibers are much less common, so you would have a smaller selection to work with and mostly older guns. They are generally considered underpowered self-defense calibers and not plinking guns. As you've probably heard by now, .22 ammo has been fairly difficult to find because of recent politics, though that seems to be getting slowly better.
    • Using a .22 can help with flinching when you shoot because there is far less recoil, but it really can't help with flinching from other people firing around you. I think just exposure and good ear protection will help with that. I double up, using both ear plugs and electronic earmuffs for best protection.
    • Do you know what you will be getting for a self defense gun or have you narrowed it down? If you are going to get a revolver, I'd suggest a revolver .22. If you are getting a 1911, there are 1911-clone .22s, etc. You can't always get an exact match, but if you can get close, then you will have something will give you a leg up on training with your self-defense weapon.
    • As a general rule, a longer barrel is better for accuracy. The longer the sight radius (distance between front and rear sights), the easier it is to be accurate. Also, a heavier gun is generally more accurate than a light gun as it better counters recoil. Weight isn't as important with a small caliber, but the rule still holds.
    • As for recommendations, I'm a big Ruger fan. Don't have the SR22, but I haven't heard of anyone having problems with them. My personal favorite is the Ruger MkIII (although there is a good argument that the old MkII is better).
    As with a self-defense gun, there are a number of considerations including how it feels in your hand. Good luck in your search.

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Ruger 22/45, one of the best values in firearms, would be my suggestion.

Jenn, in firearms the subjective is objective. What you like is best.

1. Go to a gun store/gun show.
    2. Coonfinger a bunch of different guns.
    3. Get instruction, software is to hardware as 3 is to 1.

Ultimately the gun does not matter, you do.

Oh, double up on your hearing protection, plugs and muffs so you don't become nervous.

PMR

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    NWI, Cedar Lake
    Jenn, I picked up a used Ruger SR22 for my wife to shoot and she really likes it. My plan is to move her up once she gets more experience and comfortable shooting.

We took it out this past weekend for the first time and ran about 150 rounds through it, I had five different brands of ammo and had around 4 or 5 misfeeds when using the cheapest of the ammo. Other wise the SR22 ran great and it was a lot of fun to shoot.

Good luck, Pat

mikem1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    I like the .22 for starters, all my kids started with that then stepped up after they got bigger they all hit what they aim at .

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    I've a matched pair of Buckmarks for plinking. Nothing 'wrong' with the excellent suggestions provided above with the Ruger Mark xxx or the SR22, of course. I just preferred the grip and feel of the Buckmark a bit better.

Excellent advice above, and one would do well to follow it closely. I'd also add that, when selecting ANY handgun, try several, see how they 'feel' in your hand, and pick the one that 'fits' best. During this evaluation period, pick one up (safely, of course) and just 'grab and sight' in on something (I usually pick a point a distance off toward the ceiling area of the gun shop).

You'll find out of your selection of models (auto-loader, revolver, whatever) you'll find one that 'sits' on target just a bit better for you. One model will just 'feel' and 'sight in' somewhat more 'naturally' than the others. There's 'your' handgun, and the one to pick, because that's the one you'll find easiest to put rounds on target.

The advantage of a .22 is it does help with the basics of sight alignment, trigger press, reloading and malfunction / misfire drills, etc. It won't, for the most part, teach you much about managing recoil or returning to the sight picture after firing, because there's virtually no recoil to them.

When instructing, after teaching the safety rules and basics, I move the Student away from the .22 lr fairly quickly, into something at least in the 9mm (auto) or .38 (revolver) category, as these are in the realm of defensive calibers. Which is usually why the Student wants instruction in the first place; to carry or keep a defensive handgun. Of course, if their sole objective is .22 bullseye shooting, this can be deleted, but that hasn't happened as yet with those that've come to me for training.

9mm and 'up', there's a myriad of choices one has for defensive handgun purposes. In my experience, MOST of the time the Student has talked with friends and/or family members, forum members, gun shop staff, etc. and has at least SOME idea of what they want to buy for their defensive needs. IF they ask, I'll give them my own perspectives, which they're free to follow or disregard.

Whatever caliber / handgun they choose, it then becomes my responsibility to get them to maximum proficiency with that firearm. That's the job and that's what they're paying me for.

AlwaysVigilant

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2013
    Michigan, by way of Indianapolis
    You are on the right track. I start everyone on a full size .22LR semi-auto (SIG 1911-22). Learning to shoot is a series of steps that is easier to teach on something that has larger controls, and the 1911's grips and such work for most people. The trigger also helps build confidence in new shooters, which I think is important. They are also inexpensive and of good quality, and it has a good representation of the common levers found on modern firearms so you are familiar with a wider variety. Some of the other nice .22's have a proprietary method of putting a round into battery, like Ruger, and I prefer ones with a normal slide function (that's what the defensive caliber pistols will have, so you don't have to relearn anything.) That is handy later on when you are deciding what to buy to defend yourself with.

I also recommend getting some basic training. A hundred bucks goes along way to becoming confident, safe, and educated. Many beginner classes will have a .22LR pistol and revolver to sample so you learn the basics of both.

ShootnCut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Indiana
    A friend just bought a SIG 1911 and got a SIG 1911-22 to go with it. I was impressed at how similar they are in weight and feel.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    I second the Ruger SR22. It comes with two different sized grips to help make it fit your hand. Has all the usual controls, and a drop free mags.

Find some ear muffs that are rated at least 30db, they will cut down the sound significantly. Much better then most ear plugs.

Onionsanddragons

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 13, 2014
    Terre Haute
    A lot of good advice here. I definitely second the advice in doubling up on ear pro, especially when you are getting used to people firing around you. Hell, I still twitch a tiny bit if I'm caught off guard by a larger report than I expect in my general vicinity.

if you are set on learning w a 22, start buying ammo NOW. Anywhere you go that sells ammo, check for it and buy what they will sell you if they have it. Worst thing that can happen is you wind up trading it to someone for something else. I say this because locally I have seen 22 about 4 times in the last 4 months. It comes every once in a while, but it is gone quickly.

if you have an idea of the gun you might like to carry eventually, consider a 22 version of that platform if it exists. It will either give you more familiarity with it, or convince you that gun isn't for you much more cheaply than buying the defensive version.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Before you buy ANY pistol, especially since you are new to guns, I'd suggest getting some training first. Preferably at an outdoor range. A good instructor will teach you how to handle several different kinds of handguns and calibers. You will be surprised what you can handle with the right training.

I recommend this for several reasons.

1. You don't buy a gun you do not like to shoot. Saves you some money.

2. You should have training anyway. It may seem like a lot of money, but in the long run, it is the BEST value of any firearms related purchase hands down.

3. I suggest the outdoor range for the simple fact that it is not as loud as you stated the noise bothers you.

There are several great trainers here on INGO. Ask around and find one that will have several different guns for you to try and can meet you at an outdoor range.

Be safe and have fun.

8th SPS USAF

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hobart , In
    If you can find a nice used Ruger 22/45 , I think you will enjoy it. Fair priced, now finding 22lr may cost more, but it will get you started with SAFETY first, learn stance, sights, trigger. Mag reloading. When you get some extra money, a nice used 9mm can be in your future . I would go with a 9mm as your PP firearm-less recoil, ammo fair priced-PP loads more- Good luck

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    1. Go to a gun store/gun show.
    2. Coonfinger a bunch of different guns.
    3. Get instruction...

Ultimately the gun does not matter, you do.

Oh, double up on your hearing protection, plugs and muffs so you don't become nervous.

^This

And I really like my Walther P22. Fun gun to shoot...

Jenn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Thanks, all of you have great advice.

I have ear plugs + muffs. Muffs rated at 33 db

I forgot to add in this post that was originally from my range friends thread:
    my mom and I are going to take pistol classes together.
    I have a couple 9mm models in mind that feel good in my hand that I'd want for PP.
    I've been to 3 ranges, BG, Trading Post, and Eagle Creek.

I think one of the reasons I would like a plinking gun is because they're a great training gun when using a bigger caliber isn't an option, and I started out with an LCP. The 3 guns I started with all had a kick, but the full sized .357 revolver felt the smoothest.
    The 9 mm I tried wasn't comfortable in my hand, and the LCP was the least comfortable in my hands. The weird thing is, at the same time I was more comfortable in trying the LCP even though I caught my finger in the slide and my hand kept pressing the mag release while shooting. I was nervous trying all of them because I didn't know where the trigger breaks were. Every time the gun went boom I found myself staring at the barrel instead of the target.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Practice
    Training
    Try different guns. I'm sure INGOers will help.
    Bigger gun, LESS recoil (for the same bullet).

I like the S&W M&P. I have the 22 version, and the 40 compact version. There is a 9 version. This gives me multiple guns with the same platform.

And yes, indoor shooting is louder.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    A 22LR makes a fantastic plinking gun. And some are meant to mimic the controls/feel of larger caliber guns (Ruger LCR, Sig Mosquito come to mind). We have both a Mosquito and an SR22 at my house. I personally love them both. The Sig is pickier on ammo but both are fun guns to shoot. And there's nothing wrong with starting with a 22 before moving up to larger calibers. My first handgun and rifle were both 22LRs. Buy what YOU are comfortable with.

strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County
    You're welcome to try any of these. I can also get my hands on my old SR22 if you'd like to try it out as well. Also hoping to add a 9mm shield to the mix here in the next week or so.

My only beef with the SR22 was the safety is so conveniently located and operates backwards to what I'm used to that I would constantly activate it with my thumb. Other than that I loved the gun, but I think I like my M&P 22 more. Plus the M&P22 is a great training tool for my 9mm M&Ps.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    It does take time, but you will soon become accustomed to the noise and recoil. If it helps, double up on the hearing protection and use plugs and muffs.

As a first .22 pistol I would go ahead and get on of the ones that are more suitable to target shooting (Browning Buckmark, Ruger Mark III or .22/45) rather than one of the "cute" ones (Walther P22, Ruger SR22). I have both a Buckmark Camper and a Ruger .22/45 with the wood grips (100% recommend spending a little more for the wood grips on the Ruger). They shoot equally well, but I like the Buckmark better. I also have the SR22, but it isn't nearly as accurate.

There are also several pistols out there with .22 conversions, or .22 versions of the centerfire pistol, and maybe that will float your boat.

A .22 makes a great plinker and for learning the basics, but there is another option to a .22 -- a pellet gun. And if you like the feel of _______ (a popular personal protection handgun), then there's maybe a 50/50 chance that you can find a pellet gun "just like it".

examples... BB Pistols & Pellet Pistols | Guns, Ammo and Accessories

Jenn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2014
    Indianapolis
    There are also several pistols out there with .22 conversions, or .22 versions of the centerfire pistol, and maybe that will float your boat.

A .22 makes a great plinker and for learning the basics, but there is another option to a .22 -- a pellet gun. And if you like the feel of _______ (a popular personal protection handgun), then there's maybe a 50/50 chance that you can find a pellet gun "just like it".

examples... BB Pistols & Pellet Pistols | Guns, Ammo and Accessories

-I don't know if this really applies, but I did get my hands on a pellet/BB gun today. Only it is a rifle styled BB/pellet gun. :) I am happy that I get something to borrow though! :yesway:
    -Yeah I know what you mean! I've seen the PX4 storm pellet guns on Amazon.com
    -I was actually looking at the conversion kits for several different models! What I found though was that the conversion kits cost almost as much as a new gun, right?
    -My mom tried the m&p22 and she liked it. She found it accurate and I don't think she'd mind picking one up. I got to hold one, but I am not sure if it was the right fit for me :n00b: btw she was almost dead on accurate with the m&p9c!

-I have been wearing both muffs and plugs together and I'm still flinchy :( I find that I stop flinching as much once I've been in the range for about 15 minutes.

strokin7.3
    I can see that you like the Smith and Wessons :): And I'll definitely take you up on that offer sometime, Thanks!

LoriW
    I have heard that the Sig mosquitoes get jams frequently? Then again I've only been reading reviews..

actaeon277
    Thank you, I see many threads of people showing love for the M&P's and the Springfield XD's :): Those would be my top 2 choices for a striker fired pistols (I've held them, just not fired yet)
    btw, I love your avatar :D

Top Bottom