• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • abrumlev

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    NE Indy
    I just went hunting for the first time today up in Wisconsin with my girlfriend, her father and brother. I had a great time. We shot 20 pheasants and 4 Hungarian partridges. It was an incredible amount of fun. The dogs were great and the guide was extremely helpful with it being my first time.

Time to cook up some pheasant pot pies :rockwoot:

I'll try to get some pictures from my girlfriend later.

Pete

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    I'm going to give myself a Christmas present this year - a pheasant hunt at a game farm! I have been looking at this for so long but I'm gong to take the plunge. Any good game farms in central Indiana?

sig shooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Spencer, Indian
    Christmas present

I'm going to give myself a Christmas present this year - a pheasant hunt at a game farm! I have been looking at this for so long but I'm gong to take the plunge. Any good game farms in central Indiana?
    What part of the state do you live in? Lost River Game Farms is Very nice and reasonable on price. located in Orlenes Indiana Off of State Hwy 37

abrumlev

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    NE Indy
    I went up to Halter Wildlife right over the Illinois/Wisconsin border. My girlfriend had an American English Setter who boarded up there until she passed a year ago so they have a great relationship with them. The dogs were very well trained and did a great job retrieving every bird and only running off a couple times. I shot her dad's 20ga Beretta O/U that felt great and looked gorgeous.

I'm definitely going to convince her dad to take me up there again before the end of the season. Not only am I hooked to bird hunting but I will be pursuing deer and hog hunting next year!!

ruger44srh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have a cabin 10 miles from Lost River but I take my dogs to King Farms in Parker City, east of Muncie. If any one wants to pay for and shoot birds over my dogs let me know. I have one that needs a little training and one that is just awesome.

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    I just got back from Nebraska. It was an awesome trip, got our limit everyday.

Great dogs make a great trip. It is easy to have good dogs though when two of the guys that were with us were breeders!

386637_10150465041864415_212921969414_8559532_91617933_n.jpg

I am on the left, future father in law on right. Both guys in the middle breed down south, labs and brittanys.

wildcatfan.62

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    South Bend
    Went to Maier Pheasant Farm in Breman this week with 3 buddies and my 13 year old son (his first hunt after taking his hunters ed class). Had a great hunt, we worked with Gary Schmeltz, one of the owners and his shorthair, Rosie. Roughly 200 acres with corn stubble, some woods and decent cover.

Had a great time -hunt was well orgainzied, kept everyone safe and the birds flew great. Rosie worked hard all afternoon. Gary's a great guy -very conversational during the hunt, was great with my son. We stopped 1/2 thru to allow me to ride back via a 4 wheeler to get my sons' 20 guage and put my 12 up. Gary worked hard to get a couple of flushes aimed at my son. He was able to bag his first 2 birds -both roosters.

Not sure how to upload a picture I'll do a search and see if I can figure it out......

We've hunted at Maier off and on for the last few years. Never had a bad day. Have done everything from a 100 bird European hunt with afternoon clean up to a 9 bird release with 3 guys. They usually have pheasant and chuckers for hunting. I'm sure it's not as good as wild birds in the Dakotas, but Maier's only 30 minutes from home...

Best,

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    I just got back from Nebraska. It was an awesome trip, got our limit everyday.

Great dogs make a great trip. It is easy to have good dogs though when two of the guys that were with us were breeders!

386637_10150465041864415_212921969414_8559532_91617933_n.jpg

I am on the left, future father in law on right. Both guys in the middle breed down south, labs and brittanys.

great pic, all wild birds? Private land? What county/area did u hunt? I will hunt SD next season as well as Kansas, Nebraska may be on the radar!

soupy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    Elkhart Co.
    Here's phone numbers for Gary Schmeltz at Maier Pheasant Farm. 574-633-4982 and 574-276-2028. 3 pheasant put out was $70. Don't know how much for dog and guide service.

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    It was mainly leased land, we did get to go on some of his friends property. They were all wild birds that we got. The tame ones get one toe clipped. None of the ones we got had clipped toes. There were supposed to be some that were released but we didnt get any of them. We were in Pierce Nebraska. I don't know if he still does hunts for people that haven't been previously. This is our fifth year. He is getting more into deer now.

You can still look him up tho. Big Red Brittany's. Awesome guy and too much fun!

wildcatfan.62

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    South Bend
    We paid $23 a bird, and the dog w/guide (Gary) and bird cleaning were I think an extra $125. I've got the receipt at work. I'll post the actual $'s later this week when we reopen.

Again, I've never had a bad experience with Maier. Have hunted 3 or 4 other preserves with friends, but keep going back to Maier.

Good luck!!

Top Bottom