• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JGulley317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2012
    Marion Co.
    First off ladies, please don't be offended! I really didn't know weather to put this in the General Firearms Discussion or here. Though since this is about my mother, then I figured I'd pick this spot. Hoping you might have or know someone that has been in this situation.

I'll try not to make this a long post, but could answer some questions that come up...

So I've recently bought my first handgun. I still live with my mother because I'm in college and I'm trying to save money. At first she didn't like the idea of a gun in the house, though it grew on her (shes never shot any firearm). She made an exception which was for me to take her to a basic pistol class. After we talked, I asked if I could buy her a gun of her own. She said she didn't want one. She said she just wanted to take the class so she would know how to handle it in SD situation (worst case scenario, I was shot and couldn't use the gun).

I hope after the basic pistol class and the often trips to the range she will change her mind. Though I can only hope...until then I'd like her to have some method of SD. So I decided I'd like to buy her some peper spray.

Are there any recommendations? I've seen these new ones that are shaped like little revolvers. They look like their more effective.

Thanks, Gulley

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Although I am not a lady....I do carry OC spray at work. I work armed security.

Heres a few tips....dont buy the cheap stuff or the gimicky stuff. Alot of the cheaper stuff that claims to be the strength of OC is mostly aerosol and doesnt do much of anything.

I have been sprayed with $10 dollar spray that is readily available and yes it does sting but it lasts only a few seconds....well thats for me.
    During our training course we got sprayed with what we carry which is .9% stuff and thats what I'd get. It has alot more knockdown power and it burns for quiet some time! My senses didnt start coming back for atleast 2 hours or so.

For work i carry MK3 in the .9% which is law enforcement only but the .7% is available for civilians. I would suggest this for your mother. You can get it in the person carry size with is 1.5oz i believe or you can get it in the 4oz size (which i would suggest for home defense) or if she wants to carry it in her purse I would get the 1.5.

It may be hard to find depending on where your located but if you can get it I would stick with this stuff.

Last edited:

JGulley317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2012
    Marion Co.

Heres a few tips....dont buy the cheap stuff or the gimicky stuff. Alot of the cheaper stuff that claims to be the strength of OC is mostly aerosol and doesnt do much of anything.

I have been sprayed with $10 dollar spray that is readily available and yes it does sting but it lasts only a few seconds....well thats for me.
    During our training course we got sprayed with what we carry which is .9% stuff and thats what I'd get. It has alot more knockdown power and it burns for quiet some time! My senses didnt start coming back for atleast 2 hours or so.

For work i carry MK3 in the .9% which is law enforcement only but the .7% is available for civilians. I would suggest this for your mother. You can get it in the person carry size with is 1.5oz i believe or you can get it in the 4oz size (which i would suggest for home defense) or if she wants to carry it in her purse I would get the 1.5.

It may be hard to find depending on where your located but if you can get it I would stick with this stuff.

Where can I get MK3? I live here in Indianapolis. She only needs a small one for her purse.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I have no real knowledge about pepper spray, but if you're looking for brand recommendation, look at forums for police officers. You'll find threads about "what's the most effective pepper spray." The best part is reading the colorful language that the participating officers use to describe their encounter with the spray they recommend.

Some places offer training in the use of pepper spray. I think esrice has an AAR about a class he attended, and it may be worth a look for you. From everything I've read, I'd say that training would be important. A spray doesn't work on everyone equally well, and does not start working immediately. That makes it less desirable as a tool for stopping an immediate threat. The delivery can be compromised by windage. With such a tool, you need to know how to use it to optimize your defense. (The AAR mentions one tactic: keeping some obstacle (like a car) between you and the enemy, so after you deliver the spray, the enemy cannot lounge at you.)

There are also "gun-like" sprays. Kimber makes one. Pepperball also makes one. The advantage is supposedly that wind will have no effect. But then you'll have to be able to tag the face, preferably around the eyes and the nose, at 12'.

On Youtube you can find plenty of videos of people taking a shot from a spray, and many can continue to do some things afterwards. Keep this in mind, so you don't think one shot will bring down an elephant right away.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    First off ladies, please don't be offended! I really didn't know weather to put this in the General Firearms Discussion or here. Though since this is about my mother, then I figured I'd pick this spot. Hoping you might have or know someone that has been in this situation.

I'll try not to make this a long post, but could answer some questions that come up...

So I've recently bought my first handgun. I still live with my mother because I'm in college and I'm trying to save money. At first she didn't like the idea of a gun in the house, though it grew on her (shes never shot any firearm). She made an exception which was for me to take her to a basic pistol class. After we talked, I asked if I could buy her a gun of her own. She said she didn't want one. She said she just wanted to take the class so she would know how to handle it in SD situation (worst case scenario, I was shot and couldn't use the gun).

I hope after the basic pistol class and the often trips to the range she will change her mind. Though I can only hope...until then I'd like her to have some method of SD. So I decided I'd like to buy her some peper spray.

Are there any recommendations? I've seen these new ones that are shaped like little revolvers. They look like their more effective.

Thanks, Gulley

Well, little girl ....
    I think you're right to want her to get comfortable with a handgun vs pepper spray. It's not likely that a woman who's never sprayed the stuff will be able to successfully hit and disable her target (unless it's a dog). A perp will likely become enraged for her even trying unless she makes a direct hit.

JGulley317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2012
    Marion Co.
    I have no real knowledge about pepper spray, but if you're looking for brand recommendation, look at forums for police officers. You'll find threads about "what's the most effective pepper spray." The best part is reading the colorful language that the participating officers use to describe their encounter with the spray they recommend.

Some places offer training in the use of pepper spray. I think esrice has an AAR about a class he attended, and it may be worth a look for you. From everything I've read, I'd say that training would be important. A spray doesn't work on everyone equally well, and does not start working immediately. That makes it less desirable as a tool for stopping an immediate threat. The delivery can be compromised by windage. With such a tool, you need to know how to use it to optimize your defense. (The AAR mentions one tactic: keeping some obstacle (like a car) between you and the enemy, so after you deliver the spray, the enemy cannot lounge at you.)

There are also "gun-like" sprays. Kimber makes one. Pepperball also makes one. The advantage is supposedly that wind will have no effect. But then you'll have to be able to tag the face, preferably around the eyes and the nose, at 12'.

On Youtube you can find plenty of videos of people taking a shot from a spray, and many can continue to do some things afterwards. Keep this in mind, so you don't think one shot will bring down an elephant right away.

Right on man, thanks for the link!

Well, little girl ....
    I think you're right to want her to get comfortable with a handgun vs pepper spray. It's not likely that a woman who's never sprayed the stuff will be able to successfully hit and disable her target (unless it's a dog). A perp will likely become enraged for her even trying unless she makes a direct hit.

Thanks Mrs. Mackey.

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    Pay NO attention to the PERCENT (10%, 8%, 20%, etc...) on pepper spray, what you're looking for is the Scovil Heat Unit (SHU) rating. Most of the cheap stuff at the sporting goods stores don't even have the SHU's on the package or container. That's because it's pitiful.

If you have a 10% concentration of 500,000 SHU, it sounds impressive. But, a 2% concentration of 5.3 million SHU is a much more effective product.

I carry Fox brand OC (Oleoresin Capsicum) because it is the highest Scovil Heat Unit rating in the business (5.3 million), and the stuff is wicked bad. ...ask me how I know this. lol

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Fox and Sabre are fine brands. Anything 2M SHU or more will be fine. Something around 70 grams or so would be best (nothing wrong with larger if she'll carry it). Smaller units often don't have the umph needed (don't spray as far and put out less product). Personally, I'd go stream (because it will resist wind better), unless it was a unit for indoors only, then I'd go foam. And buy her a practice unit as well. Buy a new one every few years and use the old one for practice.

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg

There are NO laws anywhere to indicate this. It may be a store policy somewhere but here in Indiana there are no current laws regulating OC.

BTW MK is :poop: I emptied a can of MK on a guy 3 weeks ago and it did NOTHING but turn his face orangish red. He was still able to fight and run like I threw water on him.

Pay NO attention to the PERCENT (10%, 8%, 20%, etc...) on pepper spray, what you're looking for is the Scovil Heat Unit (SHU) rating. Most of the cheap stuff at the sporting goods stores don't even have the SHU's on the package or container. That's because it's pitiful.

If you have a 10% concentration of 500,000 SHU, it sounds impressive. But, a 2% concentration of 5.3 million SHU is a much more effective product.

I carry Fox brand OC (Oleoresin Capsicum) because it is the highest Scovil Heat Unit rating in the business (5.3 million), and the stuff is wicked bad. ...ask me how I know this. lol

WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER
    Follow this person's advice!

Last edited:

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner

+1 with the Fox brand. We have three containers of the stuff, and I am a fan of their spray over any of the others. I do keep one large can of Bear spray in the bedroom too.:yesway:

SaintsNSinners

Shooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    At Work in Indy
    I used to have this foaming gel... that stuff was wicked... if it hit you in the face odds are it foamed up the nose; but Im not sure if its LEO only. I felt like I was in the army gas chamber again

Top Bottom