• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dmpxd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Is there any way to compare it side by side with some other more common pistol. I am struggling with the double stack vs. the single stack!

Thank you all so much for your help!

Last edited:

aikidoka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Hammond
    The best I can do is reference this review of 9 pistols with lots of pics. I used this when I was researching for my purchase. Other than that, handling a single stack and a warthog will be your best bet. I got my Warthog at Bud's Gun Shop with the transfer fee to a local dealer.

Kel-Tec P3AT, Kel-Tec PF-9, Kel-Tec P11, Para Ordnance P10 (with Warthog slide), Para Ordnance Warthog (with P12 slide), European American Arms EA380, Smith & Wesson SW99c (same as Walther P99c), Smith and Wesson M&P compact, and Springfield XD Micro.

CCW review - 9 pistols, lots of pics - THR

dmpxd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    That is perfect and exactly what I needed to see. Thank you very much for your help and your patience!

D

Kimbertrace

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I carry a kimber UCII... I checked out the para warthawg, but was turned off by the combination of the thickness AND shortness of the grip...I would strongly recommend you actually hold the warthawg in your hand prior to purchasing. The para slim hawg was fine as far as grip is concerned. The only other concern I had with it is that the para is even less milspec than the Kimber UCII

I have owned a double stack .45 1911 before, but it had a commander length grip, I had no problems with it(other than it was hard to disengage the safety without adjusting grip)...the para was just too short for me. I am only 5'8", which technically means I am a midget, and the grip was still TOO SHORT.

Last edited:

aikidoka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Hammond
    I carry a kimber UCII... I checked out the para warthawg, but was turned off by the combination of the thickness AND shortness of the grip...I would strongly recommend you actually hold the warthawg in your hand prior to purchasing. The para slim hawg was fine as far as grip is concerned. The only other concern I had it that the para is even less milspec than the Kimber UCII

I have owned a double stack .45 1911 before, but it had a commander length grip...the para was just to short for me. I am only 5'8", which technically means I am a midget.

Agreed. One really needs to handle it before purchase. I was able to do so a couple of times. The first time I was taken back by where it hit on my hand. I took the time to think about it more before purchasing because of that. The extended MSH is mandatory in my opinion. The Hogue grips help as well but may add just a bit more width and definitely some depth so the grip feels a bit more chubby. I'm ok with it but I agree that a single stack 1911 feels much better. I held a Kimber one those days as well and it felt great.

P.S. The Kimber I handled at that time was the SIS Ultra. I like the grips on that one but unfortunately it was out of my price range.

Last edited:

dmpxd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    I carry a kimber UCII... I checked out the para warthawg, but was turned off by the combination of the thickness AND shortness of the grip...I would strongly recommend you actually hold the warthawg in your hand prior to purchasing. The para slim hawg was fine as far as grip is concerned. The only other concern I had with it is that the para is even less milspec than the Kimber UCII

I have owned a double stack .45 1911 before, but it had a commander length grip, I had no problems with it(other than it was hard to disengage the safety without adjusting grip)...the para was just too short for me. I am only 5'8", which technically means I am a midget, and the grip was still TOO SHORT.

Agreed. One really needs to handle it before purchase. I was able to do so a couple of times. The first time I was taken back by where it hit on my hand. I took the time to think about it more before purchasing because of that. The extended MSH is mandatory in my opinion. The Hogue grips help as well but may add just a bit more width and definitely some depth so the grip feels a bit more chubby. I'm ok with it but I agree that a single stack 1911 feels much better. I held a Kimber one those days as well and it felt great.

P.S. The Kimber I handled at that time was the SIS Ultra. I like the grips on that one but unfortunately it was out of my price range.

Guys I really appreciate the input! The only problem I am having is finding any of the para's or any of the Kimber ? Ultra series pistols to actually get my hands on. Matter of fact, the only thing remotely close that I have been able to handle is the PXT LDA Single Stack Carry Option Para USA, High-Quality Handguns: Products

and I do not feel like that is an accurate representation of either. If I could find somewhere that had either in a display case somewhere I would definitely check them out before buying. Unfortunately I am walking sort of blind here, and know that I want something sooner than later!:ingo:

Kimbertrace

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    If you have to get something sight unseen, I would recommend getting a single stack. The chances of you being dissatisfied with a double stack ultra compact are much higher. Have you considered a Colt New Agent?

DMPXD, where are you located?

dmpxd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    If you have to get something sight unseen, I would recommend getting a single stack. The chances of you being dissatisfied with a double stack ultra compact are much higher. Have you considered a Colt New Agent?

DMPXD, where are you located?

Had breifly thought about it, but hadn't put a lot of effort in researching it. It is however on the list with Defender as possible Micro compact 1911's.

West of indy in Hendricks County!

Jbrown

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2009
    I own a para p12-45 and I don't mind the grip size, but it is a bit heavier than other 1911's, but nothing like the XD you mentioned you carry at times.

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    picture.php

This is a small Para I traded my xd9sc for.
    7+1 .45acp and fullsize mags will function in a pinch. My wife has taken it over as her carry gun. Feels really great in the hand and they can be found from $500 to $600 used.

Good luck!

aikidoka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Hammond
    I own a para p12-45 and I don't mind the grip size, but it is a bit heavier than other 1911's, but nothing like the XD you mentioned you carry at times.

I was watching a youtube review where the Glock 30 was hailed as being better than a 1911 because of it's capacity, size (except for width) and weight. I thought hmm, and I looked up the specs on the Warthog. Not much difference. I think the Glock probably has a lower bore axis but the other supposed advantages touted not so much.

Perhaps I would have considered the Glock if I wasn't jonesing for a 1911 and I liked the "safe" trigger and thought the Glock wasn't fugly, just my opinion of course. I have shot a glock and liked how it felt so to each their own.

koenig clone

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    fairmount
    I just wanted to update you guys on this thread with my para. I had it at a local gun shop boxed up to ship back and the owner called me and asked me a few questions before it was shipped off. This is what I found out. I suck. I didnt know how to shoot the dumb thing. he told me to put 200 rds through it and practice a different shooting technique. I was limpwristing the gun. I have other full size 1911s and never had an issue. I shoot them very well. The short slide doesnt have the weight of the larger pistols, so it needs a very stiff arm and grip so the kinetic energy isnt lost in your wrist. I shot 100 rds through the pistol in 20 minutes without a single hiccup. Hit a pop bottle 3 out of 6 rds consistently at 20 yds. I am now impressed and very happy with the pistol. I would recommend it to anyone, just take the time to learn how to shoot it.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I just wanted to update you guys on this thread with my para. I had it at a local gun shop boxed up to ship back and the owner called me and asked me a few questions before it was shipped off. This is what I found out. I suck. I didnt know how to shoot the dumb thing. he told me to put 200 rds through it and practice a different shooting technique. I was limpwristing the gun. I have other full size 1911s and never had an issue. I shoot them very well. The short slide doesnt have the weight of the larger pistols, so it needs a very stiff arm and grip so the kinetic energy isnt lost in your wrist. I shot 100 rds through the pistol in 20 minutes without a single hiccup. Hit a pop bottle 3 out of 6 rds consistently at 20 yds. I am now impressed and very happy with the pistol. I would recommend it to anyone, just take the time to learn how to shoot it.

Good deal, glad to hear it worked out for you. :rockwoot:

dmpxd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    No guys, I am still shopping around trying to get my hands on one. The place I usually order my guns through all have NO para's in stock. I did however find a local shop who is willing to order a kimber since I am not a dealer/distributor and his prices were 3-400 dollars under MSRP so for instance the UCII with CT Laser is only $849 it retails for $1263... If one of the para does not pop up in stock I may be taking the plunge on a Kimber. That said It would be 4 - 12 weeks before I recieve it. Sorry for the lack of communication last week I worked 85 hours. I will try to keep you posted!

dmpxd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Guys, I think I have decided on Kimber Ultra series. I just can't make up my mind on CDP II, Tactical II, or Covert II

The prices are $1099, 1020, and 1300 respectively!

Please let me know what you think! I really want to seal the deal soon!

Top Bottom