• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Anyone have a source to purchase a paper brick press or plans for building one? I have seen one where a large round chicken can can be used, but I would like to have something larger. I suppose I could use an even taller round can (tomato sauce or broth).

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Very cool Squirrel, thanks. We gets junk mail everyday, and I figure this might be a good way to use it up rather than just shredding and throwing it in the trash.

Now I'll have another retailer that I get sales e-mails from…. I just can't seem to unsubscribe!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Decades ago I used to see a device used to roll old newspapers and magazines into fire logs.
    I seem to recall reading about people sending off for information on this or that just to receive even more junk mail.
    Several got enough junk mail to heat their homes for free.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I had switched to an all-digital record-keeping system a couple of years ago and I'm just now purging out a bunch of paper files, and I'm burning them in my wood stove.

My stove is a Lopi that heats the whole house nicely. We've always burned our junk-mail and other paper waste in the stove as we go, but this is the first time that I'm burning a big quantity of paper (office papers)

I've tried rolling the paper into logs, tying with fine wire, and I've tried putting it in stacks and just throwing it in loose. Any way I've done it, paper is a poor substitute for good seasoned firewood, at least in my stove. It seems to start fine, but then, the flames go down and it just smolders until you open the door and stir it up again.

We finally figured that if we burn a stack of paper next to a couple of chunks of wood, that seems to stay hot enough to burn the paper down.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Decades ago I used to see a device used to roll old newspapers and magazines into fire logs.
    I seem to recall reading about people sending off for information on this or that just to receive even more junk mail.
    Several got enough junk mail to heat their homes for free.

When I was a kid my dad used one of those to roll and burn newspapers.

Hey BIG, I know when my dad burned newspaper's ( just black & white newsprint ) he soaked the newspapers in water to remove the clay ? coating From the paper and then rolled them up. I don't remember him burning anything color.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

Hey BIG, I know when my dad burned newspaper's ( just black & white newsprint ) he soaked the newspapers in water to remove the clay ? coating From the paper and then rolled them up. I don't remember him burning anything color.

I used to know a family that did similar, although they just rolled them by hand as tight as they could and tied them with twine. Then soaked them overnight and then let them dry.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish

All the paper I'm burning is regular office paper, unsoaked. I'll bet your right because it does look like there's something on the paper that inhibits burning. I might try to soak one of my "logs" and see if that makes a difference.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I thought paper bricks didnt burn very well. At least this is what I remember from watching a few youtube videos a couple years ago when I thought about doing it. I maybe didnt investigate enough.... but are your experiences with them?

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I just asked my dad how he did it, and at 81 his response was are you kidding that was 50 €π©¥|π£ years ago..
    My mom thought he soaked them in the big concrete wash sink in the basement and he rolled them up wet...
    That seems to be what I remember..

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I made one with 4" PVC, some iron pipe (floor flange was my masher thing) and a bottle jack. Very messy, annoying to use and it didn't yield much burn time for my effort. Better to plant a few trees and wait :)

Top Bottom