• What optic for 308 battle rifle?

• Total voters

Who Dares Wins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Plainfield
    Didn't you start another thread today?? :)

I could point out the 6x48 ACOG that the Royal Marines use on their LMT rifles. Pretty big and heavy though, but battle proven. If I had lots of money, I would buy the Leupold Mk 8 CQBSS with H27D reticle. This goes from ~1.1x to 8X magnification, and so is like a Red Dot scope at short range, but has 8x magnification with a bullet drop compensator/graduations at long distance. The reticle is front focal plane, so the reticle will work at any magnification. It has a red dot that is battery powered with several brightness settings, like the VX-R range.

Currently on offer at Optics Planet for $3,800 and the approved mount costs another few hundred. Might need to save up afor a while, but that is my current dream optic! :)

bushidomedic

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 20, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I did start another thread on finding the battle rifle, this is to find a suitable optic! If I could buy a Leupold Mk 8 CQBSS I would in a flash but there is no way I could justify a purchase like that at the moment. As for the ACOG I'd rather have a variable power illuminated optic, preferably FFP.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Id look hard at reviews comparing the Vortex Razor 1-6 to a few of your options. Im yet to see a review where the Leupold beats the Razor.

Of your options Id go with the elcan,

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    As stated in my poll, I'm looking at the Leupold Mk 6 1-6, Nightforce 2.5-10, Elcan SpectreDR 1-4 or US Optics SR-6.

Sorry, the poll wasn't up before I wrote my post. Is the NSX the NightForce you are considering, or are you looking at a different model?

Just an opinion, but if you are going to a 7.62x51 to get the additional power/range, you might as well choose an optic that reflects your decision. To me, that also means I want to be able to readily use my optic with different loads, something much more easily done with a MOA or mil based reticle than one pre-calibrated for a certain trajectory.

MAG58

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    I second this. Awesome optic!

+1 as well. The more I use my Vortex optics, the more I like them: The feel, the durability, the glass quality for cost, and the reticles.
    I have 2 of the PST 1-4's and have been lucky enough to be able to fondle the 1-6 on an AR and it's an absolutely fantastic piece of glass.
    I've yet to toy with the Elcan or the USO but I have fiddled with the Leupy and the NF and for my money, I'd still get the vortex.

I think their big brother, the new 4.5-27 will probably be my next big expenditure when funds allow.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I have a Steiner 4-16 FFP on my 17 and it is too big. If I did it all over again I would go 2-10ffp in as small of a package as I could.

baddyna96

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Demotte, IN.
    +1 as well. The more I use my Vortex optics, the more I like them: The feel, the durability, the glass quality for cost, and the reticles.
    I have 2 of the PST 1-4's and have been lucky enough to be able to fondle the 1-6 on an AR and it's an absolutely fantastic piece of glass.
    I've yet to toy with the Elcan or the USO but I have fiddled with the Leupy and the NF and for my money, I'd still get the vortex.

I think their big brother, the new 4.5-27 will probably be my next big expenditure when funds allow.

I just put one on my POF 7.62 and can't wait to get out to sight it in. Alan at A&A Optics was right on with his recommendation.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

I'll be the first dealer in the us to have them so let me know when your ready to place a order. My back order list is already getting long on that one.

bushidomedic

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 20, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Please school me on the Vortex Razor 1-6, why is it so good? How reliable are they? I've seen them for sale but never gave it a second look, why should I buy it over a known big name scope maker?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Please school me on the Vortex Razor 1-6, why is it so good? How reliable are they? I've seen them for sale but never gave it a second look, why should I buy it over a known big name scope maker?

If you follow the industry Vortex is a very well known brand. More so than USO, or Elcan, or NF. They specialize in return on investment. I'll get more in depth after I eat supper.

baddyna96

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Demotte, IN.
    I'm sure Alan will give you greater detail, but I will say that I looked at Elcan, NF, Trijicon and Bushnell before buying this. When I looked through this, I was actually stunned! The clarity is unreal. Also, it is built like a tank, with a warranty second to none.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Sorry for the delay, fat people can't focus when there is a fresh bowl of chilly in front of them:):

Back to topic, the Vortex brand is by far the fastest growing optics company on the market today. They are more widely known (not necessarily better) than any brand you listed besides Leupold. They have gained a following by doing 2 things better than ANYONE else.

1, They really focus on what price point their product will be in. This allows them to produce a product that is usually better than anything else on the market in a given price range. For instance, I kept a Leupold MK4 on my gun show table for a year or so. I quit taking it, because I spent more time arguing with brand blind folks who chose to ignore the facts. It was the exact scope we usto send to the sand box. It was a 4.5-14x50, and I would compare it to the PST 4-16 SFP. Almost everyone said "ya the Vortex is better, but its probably 2x the cost of the Leupold. Then I showed them pricing sheets and the Leupold street price was 1350ish, and the Vortex was 699. Glass quality was equal, if you gave a advantage the Vortex won, but I called them equal. They turrets on the Vortex were a lot better, and they had a zero stop. Function (tracking etc) was perfect on both. The Vortex had a 4x zoom range, the Leupold had a 3x zoom range, the Vortex was illuminated, the Leupold was not, The Vortex had more travel, and the reticle and turrets match. The Leupold was warrantied to the first owner for manufacturer defects, the Vortex was warrantied to any owner (helps hold resale value) and it didn't matter why it was broke, it was covered. I've had customers products fly off the roof of moving vehicles, and Vortex covered it. They are the only company out there that covers STUPID.

2. Is their warranty, and general customer service. They are still to this day a small tight nit company. 1/2 of their employs are family. This creates a very mellow enviroment IF you have to call in. You are treated like family if you have questions, or issues. None of this talking to a high school intern who doesnt know optics, the folks up there know what they are talking.

Reliability? The Razor 1-6 is one of the most solid built scopes on the market bar none. The down side to it is the weight. They are Heavy, but they are made that way to make them tougher than anything you will throw at it. Come spring Ill be putting out videos absolutely torturing these scope beyond what any sane human being would do to a scope. I have no doubt they will come threw with flying colors. I even mounted a 200 dollar scope on a 338 Lapua, and I broke (5 dollar a round ammo) before the scope did. At 750 yds and after 100 rds I did a box test, and the scope was tracking like a dream, at which point I gave up. Keep in mind that is the cheapest scope line they make, and no where near razor quality.

Of your options the main RZR 1-6 competition is the USO. The USO is a awesome piece of kit. I think everything between the 2 will be a wash, except the zoom (true 1x on the bottom end) and the price (USO will be noticeably more expensive)

I think the NF 2.5-10 is the wrong zoom range for your purpose. In a SHTF situation you will spend more time on low zoom fast acquisition shooting than you will on 10. With your rifle/scope setup if you cant hit a man at 800 yds then it wont be the gun, or the scope's fault.

I hope thats helpful, if I can be of further assistance let me know.

Top Bottom