open carry with a Florida concealed permit?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • willis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was just wondering if I can open carry in indiana with a florida concealed firearm \ weapon license? I live in both states throughtout the year and went ahead and got the florida permit because more states accept it.

Thanks!

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    :popcorn:

That is a much debated question. Indiana law states that you must carry under conditions of your issued state license/permit. Some say that you must abide by any laws imposed by the license state. Example: If the issuing state restricts you from going in to a bar then you can't do so in Indiana even though we have no such law. Others are of the opinion that it only applies to restrictions on the license/permit such as limiting carry while on duty for employment. So 'open carry' would probably fall under the first catagory. Once again a pretty big difference of opinion amoung the forum.

My advise to you is just keep it concealed but don't worry if you print etc.

willis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    yeah in florida all we are able to do is CC (which I prefer) but sometimes it just makes it easier...and does that pertain to a sports bar also?...I just wanted to find out a couple questions before I got myself in trouble!

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Coming from Florida and if you actually have to adhere to your FLA CCW* they you couldn't carry into any bar or portion of restaurant designated as a bar area or any establish that derives more than 50% of it's income from consumption of alcohol on premises. You also could not open carry.

I've read the Indiana laws and IMO it's a misrepresentation to try and read that Indiana law requires you to follow the terms of your issuing authority. Some states actually DO require you to follow the rules of the both states.

No matter what you MUST follow Indiana's laws.

Assuming the people saying you have to carry under both rules are right (which they aren't ask them to post it) do you really think an Indiana cop is going to know about the 50.1% rule in Florida? How about, You CAN carry into applebees but you can NOT walk thru the bar area to use the restroom? I seriously doubt it. In Indiana you can carry into any of those places.

*yep, Florida's actually is a CCW. License for a Concealed Carry Weapon. handgun, rifle, shotgun, machinegun, AOW, ASP batton, knives....

Keep in mind in Indiana you can only carry the handgun under the LTCH. You may or may not be able to carry other items, but the LTCH only gives specific permission for a handgun.

Also what drivers license do you carry? Indiana will not recognize your FLA CCW if you are a resident of Indiana. I would think you'd be a resident of FLA for tax purposes, but I figured I'd better mention that anyway.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Check this

This NRA link will tell you which states honor permits from other states. You'll see that Florida & Indiana do honor each other's permits. Just click on the state in question.

NRA-ILA :: Issues

When I'm carrying, it will always be concealed. Open carry makes you the subject of everybody's attention. Somebody will call the police, they'll have no choice but to respond, and they have better things to do than come and find out you are legit. :)

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Open carry makes you the subject of everybody's attention. Somebody will call the police, they'll have no choice but to respond, and they have better things to do than come and find out you are legit. :)

:rolleyes: Good story buddy. Carry however you please :patriot:

Also, it was already established that we have reciprocity, the OP was asking if he could OC here since his Florida permit does not allow him too.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I'm clear on that

Just wanted to post the NRA link. I use it all the time when I'm going to do some traveling and I thought it might be useful to somebody.

As for OC vs CC, just stating an opinion. As a guy who has had to respond to legitimate OCers several times over my career, I prefer nobody know I'm carrying. But thanks for straightening me out......... buddy! :)

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    As for OC vs CC, just stating an opinion. As a guy who has had to respond to legitimate OCers several times over my career, I prefer nobody know I'm carrying. But thanks for straightening me out......... buddy! :)

I understand it was personal opinion. I also understand that people are not accustomed to it, which is what results in the unnecessary calls to the police. More people OCing is a way to get them used to it, while exercising your personal freedoms, not saying "you will get the police called on you." I know plenty of people (including myself in downtown Bloomington) who have OCed and have never had the cops called on them. And what's the matter with talking to the police for a couple minutes? Y'all are some nice people (for the most part lol ). :yesway:

:patriot:

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Agreed

Thanks. I'll take your statement about some cops being nice as a compliment even though I've been retired for 15 years. You bet, plenty of people have exercised their right to OC and not had the cops called on them. Just don't be surprised if they are called and aren't ecstatic about your exercising of your rights causing them to have to waste their time on you. No offense meant but, unless you're a criminal, it would be a waste of their time. The more important issue to me is, in today's society, I just don't want anybody to see my pistol unless they acquire a need to see the business end. After 26 years of wearing a uniform, I just don't need the attention. It tends to interrupt the coffee and newspaper. Ya' wanta' walk around with a gun in sight, I reckon that's your call. :)

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Just don't be surprised if they are called and aren't ecstatic about your exercising of your rights causing them to have to waste their time on you.

With respect, it sounds like the dispatchers need to be better trained. It's not the person who's OC'ing that's causing the officer to have his time wasted.

*911*
    Soccer mom: OMG! MWG!
    Dispatcher: What is he doing?
    Soccer mom: Drinking coffee and reading a newspaper!!!
    Dispatcher: Is the gun holstered?
    Soccer mom: Well...yes.
    Dispatcher: Open carry is legal in Indiana. Thanks for calling, Ma'am.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Dispatchers

You're right. Dispatchers almost universally need to be better trained, better paid, and better understood. However, when the caller tells them there's a man with a gun, it leaves them no alternative but to dispatch officers. They should ask all the questions you listed, while the officers are on the way, as well as getting a description of the person and his/her precise location in the coffee shop/whatever. The police simply can't wait until the guy finishes his coffee and newspaper and robs the place. Or shoots somebody. Or shoots a dozen somebodies. Imagine that squawk! If you make that 911 call, you are going to want to see cops rolling in there. While it will turn out to be a waste of time, if the person is you or me, the police have no alternative but to spend that time. For me, the simplest way to avoid such a situation is to keep the gun concealed. I'm just saying it may attract attention and we shouldn't be offended if it does. It's a personal choice and we have to live with our choices.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Police can't wait until someone violates a law to enforce the law? I have never been pulled over in my car just to see if I had a license. They at least made up some other reason if that was the case. Maybe it was because nobody called dispatch yelling MAN WITH CAR. Don't they know cars are way more dangerous? I don't get it:dunno:

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I don't get it either!

Police can't wait until someone violates a law to enforce the law? I have never been pulled over in my car just to see if I had a license. They at least made up some other reason if that was the case. Maybe it was because nobody called dispatch yelling MAN WITH CAR. Don't they know cars are way more dangerous? I don't get it:dunno:

Are you guys really telling me you'd rather have the police ignore a call about a guy carrying a gun and just hope he's OK?

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Are you guys really telling me you'd rather have the police ignore a call about a guy carrying a gun and just hope he's OK?

YES!

In Arizona, Alaska, Vermont (it's protocol) if you call 9-1-1 and report a man with a gun, they WILL ask "what is he/she doing". if you tell them just walking around they WILL tell you that is legal and to not to call back unless they see someone doing something illegal with a gun, like threatening someone with it.

Dispatchers should treat a man with a holstered gun call no differently than a man with a latte call. Tell the caller coffee is legal in Indiana and to go back to ILLannoyed :laugh:

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland

YES!

In Arizona, Alaska, Vermont (it's protocol) if you call 9-1-1 and report a man with a gun, they WILL ask "what is he/she doing". if you tell them just walking around they WILL tell you that is legal and to not to call back unless they see someone doing something illegal with a gun, like threatening someone with it.

Dispatchers should treat a man with a holstered gun call no differently than a man with a latte call. Tell the caller coffee is legal in Indiana and to go back to ILLannoyed :laugh:

:+1: The person is not doing anything illegal, so yes, he should be left alone.

:twocents:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

YES!

Exactly right. It's probably too much to suggest that they tell the caller, "If he does anything criminal to you with it, feel free to shoot him and call us. Otherwise, he's not breaking any laws. Owning a gun is legal in Indiana and most of the rest of America, too."

But I'd love to see the look on the caller's face when the dispatcher told them that.

Blessings,
    B

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville

YES. For carrying a holstered gun they should not have to hope he's OK. He IS OK in Indiana and many other states. If he's doing something truly suspicious or illegal, go ahead and check him out. Carrying is fine.:yesway:

txgho1911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    DFW
    Seems more MWG responses are through observations of OC by a bored or bent LEO.
    Then the lecture and the long waste vacum truckload of malicious diatribe against Vietnam Vets and now a bunch of Gulf war 1 and 2 vets. I really need to write that one up wile it's fresh on my mind.
    Wearing the gun is no big deal outside of the dalys and bloombergs and every other nit bitch on the view or ABC news and all of hollywierds work on demonizing and rewriting human rights. Bottom line we have to get the gun off the table and put the rapist and carjacker and every crooked politico back on the table.

txgho1911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    DFW
    How many certified BG are going to OC and in a holster! They can pull a criminal record from most every car or a simple radio call. Even the non disqualifying records will show up for them. "May I see you LTCH with your DL. Thank you and have a good day." is the most intrusive any contact should ever be.
    MWG should end up with charges filed on the caller for prank calling 911.

Top Bottom