• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GoDawgs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    NWI
    I have an older Remington 870 Wingmaster in 12ga, I believe from the 60's or 70's that I received as a gift from my father in law. It came with a 28 inch barrel marked "*12 ga for 2 3/4 in shells" and 'mod' which i believe corresponds to the choke.

My questions are:
    -if the original barrel is rated for 2 3/4 shells, is that all I'm limited to with this shotgun? Can the receiver handle bigger shells with a different barrel?
    -even if my receiver isn't designed to shoot 3in shells, if I find a deal on a 3in barrel for HD or something like that, can I use it and just shoot 2 3/4 shells out of it?

thanks

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    2 3/4 is what your ejection port will handle, same here with my 1st 870. I put a Hastings barrels on mine in order to use different chokes, and it has a 3 inch chamber but that doesn't mean squat if the empty casing can't be ejected. In short, a new [different] barrel in 2 3/4 with choke tubes is the quickest solution, but be prepared for sticker shock.

stack23

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    NWI
    I believe the older magnum models have a m in the serial number instead of saying magnum.. Not sure what year they started that though

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I believe the ejection ports are the same size, but at some point way back there was a slight reinforcement area change (according to Rem Society).

Magnum receivers, even if not marked "Magnum" should have an M at the end of the serial number. Not all were marked "Magnum" as the labelling was reflective of what barrel config it came in (even newer Express models came with 2 3/4" or 3" barrels even though all receivers were M designated (some marked "Magnum" others not- all magnums though).

I just switched an 1100 to magnum, same receiver, just action sleeve and barrel change.

For the better info, go to the Remington Society website and there should be a sticky or FAQ on 870s with your question/answer.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    If it does not say 870M or 87 magnum it is not a 3 inch chamber gun. 3 inch barrels will work but with 2 3/4 inch shells.

If the barrel is original to the gun it is a quick way to check out when i was made. At least when the barrel was made. Should be a 2 letter code on the barrel.

Remington Society of America - questions/barrelcodes

It does not work from 1999 to 2001 as they did not stamp the barrels for a couple of years.

I would not worry to much about it being a 2 3/4 gun as I only use my 3 inch mag for geese with steel shot, My turkey and coyote gun pattern better with 2 3/4 inch shells.

Tactical Flannel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    West Central Indiana
    I have an older Remington 870 Wingmaster in 12ga, I believe from the 60's or 70's that I received as a gift from my father in law. It came with a 28 inch barrel marked "*12 ga for 2 3/4 in shells" and 'mod' which i believe corresponds to the choke.

My questions are:
    -if the original barrel is rated for 2 3/4 shells, is that all I'm limited to with this shotgun? Can the receiver handle bigger shells with a different barrel?
    -even if my receiver isn't designed to shoot 3in shells, if I find a deal on a 3in barrel for HD or something like that, can I use it and just shoot 2 3/4 shells out of it?

thanks
    Answers to your questions:
    1a) That barrel is limited to the 2 3/4 inch shells.
    1b) The receiver can theoretically handle 3 inch shells (structurally) but the ejector is not appropriate for the task.
    2) You can put any other Remington 870 12 ga barrel onto your receiver and it will work. You are limited to the 2 3/4 inch shells due to the receiver not being setup for the 3 inch rounds as the newer 870s are. But any barrel, whether its 2 3/4 only or 2 3/4 and 3 inch will work.

Just a bit of information. Your 60-70s 870 is nearly 100% compatible with my 2010 Police Magnum. We could swap most parts and they will function. Now the newer guns have improvements such as the anti-jam flex tab system and so on, but (for example) my gun could still run with your bolt and carrier and yours with mine.
    I thought that interesting when I learned it some years ago.

Stay safe

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I personally prefer 2 3/4" shells over 3". For me, I can control a shotgun better and get better followup shots with a lighter recoiling round. This really holds true for slugs and buckshot.

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    Years ago one of the gun smiths use to move the extractor on the 2 3/4 inch guns so they would work with 3", but that is years ago and between lower cost 870s, higher labor costs and the ever present legal issues, is a thing of the past (plus he is retired). Of course you had to use a 3" cambered barreled.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I think you mean ejector.
    Numrichs shows a 2 3/4" part # and a 2 3/4-3" dual use part #.
    The ejectors are riveted on.

I'd leave it as is.

If you want to shoot geese and run steel, go 3.5" and not 3".

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom