• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Just wondering everyones thoughts on this...I carry my gun right side 3-5 o'clock. I also carry my wallet in my back right pocket. I've been wondering what people might think when I'm at the register of a store about to check out and they see me reach back and to the right (where my gun happens to be). I'm thinking about if I should change my wallet positition or what.

What are your exeriences? Anyone else carry wallet and gun on the same side?

Thanks!

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    I can't stand to have anything like a wallet in my pocket...very uncomfortable while sitting.
    During fall, winter & spring it always stays in jacket pocket.
    Summer is always a challenge, I usually slim down to my drivers license, LTCH, and my bank card only. The rest of the crap in my wallet stays at home.

fg12351

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Fishers
    hmmm...I suppose you could freak someone out, they may think you're going for your gun.

I personally carry a moneyclip in my front pocket. It forces you to clean out your wallet and it's better for your back.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I carry my primary gun and my wallet on the same side. I've never given a thought to "what other people might think" when getting my wallet out. I don't normally OC, either, but don't change anything on those few occasions when I do.

slamer283

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    New Castle
    i always open carry. i find it uncomfortable to cc. i am a lefty, so i wear about the8-9 o'clock pos. i also carry my wallet in my left hand back pocket. i have never startled anyone, nor do i really give to shits, but i always have. and probably always will

Kingrat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Evansville
    i find its hard to get my wallet out no matter if its iwb or owb, as far as scaring people i wouldnt even give it more than a brief thought

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I've thought about it... but I feel very 'odd' with wallet in the "wrong" pocket, lol. I have switched pockets before. When I where cargo pants I put my wallet in one of those.

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Thanks for all the replies! Just wondering what all you thought about this! I have tried switching pockets, but like Prometheus said, it's odd, so I switched back! I'll just not worry about it and hope for the best!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm not much of an OCer, but after 30 years of carrying my wallet on my strong hand side I have recently switched. I finally gave in to the fact that it is smarter to reach for your wallet with your weak hand.

If you are being robbed, the obvious tactical advantage of drawing attention to your weak side, possibly opens opportunity for strong side hand strike or weapon draw. If you are being cased, this habit draws attention away from your CC weapons and also hides/confuses whether you are right or left handed. (Sorry, not so much when OCing.)

An added convenience I have discovered with having my wallet on the left side is that I no longer have to release the seat belt to access my wallet. It's quite handy at the drive through and saves me from being obligated to inform LEOs that I'm reaching around my gun to get my wallet.

Last edited:

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    I'm not much of an OCer, but after 30 years of carrying my wallet on my strong hand side I have recently switched. I finally gave in to the fact that it is smarter to reach for your wallet with your weak hand.

The obvious tactical advantage of drawing attention to your weak side, possibly opens opportunity for strong side hand strike or weapon draw. This habit also hides/confuses whether you are right or left handed. (Sorry, not so much when OCing.)

An added convenience I have discovered with having my wallet on the left side is that I no longer have to release the seat belt to access my wallet. It's quite handy at the drive through and saves me from being obligated to inform LEOs that I'm reaching around my gun to get my wallet.

I might have to revisit this. I tried a weak side wallet carry a couple of times but have not really given it a fair chance. I have recently been trying to do more day to day things with my left hand as a way to develop my coordination. A few years ago I injured my right hand and I had to do almost everything left handed for about 2 months. I even taught myself how to bowl. I was on a league and didn't want to sit out. After a couple of weeks I was scoring 140's and 150's. I think it is a good idea to have a strong "weak side". Switched my wallet as I typed. :D

Top Bottom