• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • diverdown219

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    N.W. IN
    I'm wondering if anybody in NWI (or Griffith) has had any trouble getting the local leo's to sign the form 4 for a suppressor, or do we use the sheriff? and how did it go for you?

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    Has to go through the PD. I don't know about Griffith but the Hammond PD chief Brian miller DOES NOT sign off on nfa items. It sucks up here in lake county.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I'm in Crown Point and our police chief, Pete Land has signed for an SBR and two suppressors for me.

I e-mail him and give him the heads up that I'm coming in and he signs them while I wait. Couldn't be any easier.

warangelcometh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    NWI
    Forgive my ignorance. But can you explain the "trust route". I'm in Portage and haven't tried for the sign off yet but would like info just in case. thanks!

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Do the cheifs not realize your not asking for permission on these forms?

I'm in munster and am headed to the PD next month with 9 forms. 6 cans and 3 SBR's. I'll let you knwo how that flies.

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    Porter county sheriff has a sitdown to get to know u before he signs but supposedly no problems. If you live in an unincotporated are you get to use sheriff. No clue on portage proper though. Good luck.

Forgive my ignorance. But can you explain the "trust route". I'm in Portage and haven't tried for the sign off yet but would like info just in case. thanks!

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

Have not done this and don't have any NFA items but from my limited understanding is that there are two ways to get an NFA item (ie. suppressors, short barrel rifles, full autos, etc..).

All (NFA items) require that you fill out a form (called form 4) and pay a $200 tax stamp per item. On Form 4 there is a space (section 17) for your local chief of police or sheriff (if you live in unincorprate area) that s/he signs saying s/he has no info that you will use the item illegally.

You fill out form 4 (typically) just for you as in with your own information. However, form 4, can also be filled out for a trust. A trust is a legal term "entity" that holds something (of value) for either someone or group of people. In the case of firearms you can create a trust (legal papwork that you can get forms online, officemax or go to an atty) and say the following abc items (nfa firearms) are owned by the turst and list them and these are the trustees of the trust and list yourself and anyone else you may like.

So when yuo register the NRF you are NOT registering them to you (personally your name) but to the name of the trust which just happens to have you as one of the trustees. In going the truste route (100% legal to do for firearms, google it, see ATF website) you avoid having to have section 17 signed off by LEO since how can a "trust" (not a person) have a file that the LEO can see?

Here is a good website with the getting started with NFA trust
    www.86th.org - Getting started in NFA with a Trust

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    pakman415
    Top Bottom