• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    For quite a while, I have been interested in persuing the necessary steps to obtain NRA Trainer certifications, but I am a bit confused about the 'Pre-qual' test. Am I correct in the thought that one must attend and pass Basic Pistol before progressing to the Trainer class? (I don't shoot IDPA or USPSA, so I have no ratings there to substitute)

Thanks in advance for the guidence, comments and the inevitable smart assed remarks :D

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    For quite a while, I have been interested in persuing the necessary steps to obtain NRA Trainer certifications, but I am a bit confused about the 'Pre-qual' test. Am I correct in the thought that one must attend and pass Basic Pistol before progressing to the Trainer class? (I don't shoot IDPA or USPSA, so I have no ratings there to substitute)

Thanks in advance for the guidence, comments and the inevitable smart assed remarks :D

You do not have to complete the Basic Pistol class before completing and of the instructor certification classes. Some do, but it's not required.

The pre-qualification information on the web is vague, which suggests that either it can vary based on the training counselor teaching the class, or the training counselors get more specific guidance that is not published on the web site.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    You will take the "Basic Instructor" course and then a specific discipline (rifle, pistol, shotgun, etc) course. Sometimes they are combined into the same weekend.

The "pre-qualification" is not a course per se. My Training Counselors wanted background information from participants to establish that you had sufficient experience to be an instructor. They also wanted to determine whether your attitude was appropriate to be an instructor.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    If you would like, PM me, and I'll give you the name of the NRA Counselor that trained me. He can take you through the whole process.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Thanks for the info Gentlemen!
    Rhino, I tried to rep you like I did for the everyone else, but for some reason, it said that I must distribute it elsewhere first.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    The pre-course qualification is a written and shooting test, as well as a written and verbal questionnaire. While you do not have to take NRA Basic Pistol to become an instructor, it's a pretty good idea to do so to see what exactly you will be teaching. We will be doing an instructor course in October.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Thanks again to all who responded here and/or PM'd me with answers!

I just signed up for BIT/Pistol and Person Protection In The Home instructor certification courses at Mad Duck Training over in Ohio over the 22nd-24th weekend. :rockwoot:

Top Bottom