• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    I had been trying to figure out what rifle I wanted to shoot at my next Appleseed Project Event. At my first, I made it especially difficult on myself by choosing to shoot my relatively stock Yugo M59/66A1 with a receiver mounted scope. Let's face it, the Yugo is a suitable battle rifle; but, not much of a target shooter.

Ruger1022RemNylon77_zpsc62ecfc3.jpg

I have a Remington Nylon Mohawk 77 which I thought would be a great choice; but, after shooting it recently, I found it not as dependable as I had remembered it being. It seems to have a weak magazine catch spring that allows the magazine to pop out during fire.

My other option was a Ruger 10/22 which I inherited from my Dad. Okay, I understand that this is the obvious choice since most everyone at my last Appleseed Project Event was shooting a 10/22 except for one big dummy that brought an SKS.

So, I embarked on this rifle build project and I call it "Not your Father's Ruger".

I took Dad's old Ruger 1022. I added an a 18 Inch, fluted target barrel, a Yukon Extreme Stock and a Hornet "Red Baron" Target Trigger Group. It has a 3 pound crisp trigger pull, a reworked
    slide stop and an extended magazine release. I also bought three Ruger BX-25, 25 round magazines. A good semi automatic carbine just doesn't look right without a
    high capacity, banana-style magazine.

It certainly doesn't look like my Father's Ruger any more, huh?
    NotYourFathersRuger-01_zps32920121.jpg

Then, I decided that the cheapo .22 scope mount needed to go. I replaced the narrow .22 scope rail with a wider Weaver style rail. I bought some matt finish Simmons
    rings to go with the Simmons Scope.

I finally got around to installing a Volquartsen Bedding System. I thought I might have to do some sanding on the barrel channel; but, upon test fitting
    after installation, I found a dollar bill would slide easily the length of the barrel. Ra wonders how long all this junk is going to sit on the coffee table
    waiting for me to finish it up.
    NotYourFathersRuger-02NewParts_zpsf3ef298c.jpg

Here is a great picture of the 1990s Ruger next to my other favorite Carbine...a WWII M1 Carbine made by IBM Corporation in 1943. It makes an interest contrast of new and old, huh?
    MyTwoFavoriteCarbines_zps2506b334.jpg

A week after I took the pictures above, I installed a rapid adjustment Talon Quick Release Sling and TOC Swivel Bases kit
    NotYourFathersRuger-12SlingFront_zps23cc29dd.jpg

NotYourFathersRuger-12SlingReart_zpsd0ccf712.jpg

I was a little nervous about drilling on my new stock; but it turned out really nice.
    NotYourFathersRuger-11SlingAndCase_zps697be2d9.jpg

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Sooooo ... when are you planning to take the "new" rifle out and shoot an Appleseed? The 2014 schedule is being populated as I type this. I'm curious to read your report on how you did with this build.

Dss21

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Nice rifle! You may want to take along a couple of standard 10rnd magazine "just in case" on the 19th. My experience has been the longer magazines can sometimes interfere in some of the shooting positions. I dont think you will need more than 10 rnds in a magazine at a Appleseed but I may be wrong.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Nice rifle! You may want to take along a couple of standard 10rnd magazine "just in case" on the 19th. My experience has been the longer magazines can sometimes interfere in some of the shooting positions. I dont think you will need more than 10 rnds in a magazine at a Appleseed but I may be wrong.
    During the course of fire at an Appleseed, the only target that requires more than 10 rounds is the "red coat" target that is shot at the beginning and end of each day. For this target, 13 rounds are used. However, since it isn't a timed target, using 10 round magazines works just fine.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County

Yeah, I thought about building one of those Tri-Mag arrangements. Although, I've shot it...without the sling...from prone and the magazine doesn't really get in the way. As soon as it warms up, I'll practice some AQTs. I took some targets home with me from my last Appleseed and had the copied in mass. My friends and I shoot Appleseed style AQTs pretty regularly.

Have you shot it much with the BX-25 magazine? I've heard mixed reviews on them. What brand is the barrel?

I've have had nary a misfeed related to the magazine. The barrel is Keystone, .22lr only. I got it through a distributor on EBay at a good price. The only downside is that both the manufacturer and the distributor felt compelled to leave their electro-pencil markings. I left the fella neutral...not negative...feed back because the markings were not on the barrel in the pictures. He threw a fit!

Very nice new build from an old standard. :yesway:
    Have you had a chance to pick a favorite brand of .22?

I haven't shot it enough to pick a favorite. It doesn't like Remington Yellow Jackets. The pointy nose gets hung up on the feed ramp. Everything else, I've fired through it works just fine.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom