Not sure how I feel about Bunkerville...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Are you judging this from a legal point of view or a righteous point of view? It seems crystal clear to me, but then I don't accept the premises that one has to accept to give the government any credibility in this.

I'm looking at this objectively rather than emotionally.I don't think that it's righteous that I can't make an SBR without giving the government my hard-earned money to meddle in my affairs,but yet I don't see many people defying that law just because they don't recognize the authority that put the law in place.It appears that Bundy doesn't have a legal leg to stand on here,but the people are supporting him because of their emotions and hatred for government.We all get angry when liberals do that on gun issues,so why are we being hypocrites?

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I'm looking at this objectively rather than emotionally.I don't think that it's righteous that I can't make an SBR without giving the government my hard-earned money to meddle in my affairs,but yet I don't see many people defying that law just because they don't recognize the authority that put the law in place.It appears that Bundy doesn't have a legal leg to stand on here,but the people are supporting him because of their emotions and hatred for government.We all get angry when liberals do that on gun issues,so why are we being hypocrites?
    So that would be the legal point of view.

And, yes, there are people who violate the gun laws, all of them. Probably more frequently than cattle ranchers "illegally" grazing their cattle on [STRIKE]public[/STRIKE] the King's land.

Mustang380gal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Ohio's Amish Country
    Let's put this in a different perspective.

Say a person owned a garage and there was a parking area on the next lot over that was owned by the city.Local businesses had been using the parking area for customer parking for years and paid a fee to the city for their customers to use the lot,a cost of doing business and making money.Now the owner of the garage is using the lot to park vehicles he is working on but he isn't paying the fee and hasn't for a while,he's making money with the aid of that lot but isn't paying the piper.After much time,the city comes in and begins towing cars from the lot and totals a few in the process.

This is my current understanding of the situation.

Like I said before,I think that both parties are equally guilty of turning this into a major fiasco.
    The analogy would work if you added that the garage owner repaved and re-painted parking lines.

BLM was supposed to make improvements, like water, but stopped doing it. Bundy and Family did. They irrigated, and had wells or cisterns for the cattle. It wouldn't have been only for his cattle, either. Other wildlife likely benefited from the water, too.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    The only support I can give here is to Bundy on the grounds that the feds overreacted.

You don't have a problem with unilaterally changing the terms of legal agreements and demanding payments for services rendered without actually rendering those services?

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Can you give me a link to the services?I still don't understand that part of the argument.

According to reports at the time, the feds also exceeded the scope of their court order by destroying the improvements that the Bundy's had made to the public lands, when all they were authorized to do was seize the cattle.

Interesting that BLM changed their story about this whole thing several times. First it was to save the habitat for the "endangered" desert tortoise (the same "endangered" tortoises who were so numerous in their wildlife refuge that the BLM was having to euthanize 1000 of them). Then, of course, it became paramount that they enforce grazing fees for services which they didn't provide; then it was "preservation of the land" by forcing the Bundy's to get rid of most of their cattle (after which they would not be able to support themselves in cattle ranching). Also interesting that they were so concerned about collecting cattle in lieu of a million dollars in supposed fee and penalties that they mounted an operation which cost an equivalent amount (if not more) while Al Sharpton owes $2.5 million and has dinner at the White House.

What recourse do citizens have when the courts side with bureaucratic tyrants and crooked politicians? I don't know the answer, but I'm very much afraid there will be violence over this type of thing if the government doesn't rethink its strategy and tactics.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    The current kerfuffle notwithstanding, any illusion that there is ownership of real estate outside of government (i.e. private ownership of land) is a myth.

With the exception of a locale with no property taxes (a locale of whose existence I am currently unaware), you don't own it.

While property taxes exist, you will never own it. I don't care what your title says or how much you "paid for it".

This event is just a relatively novel twist on the ever-present theme of neo-feudalism.

Property taxes should be abolished.

</threadjack>

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    The current kerfuffle notwithstanding, any illusion that there is ownership of real estate outside of government (i.e. private ownership of land) is a myth.

With the exception of a locale with no property taxes (a locale of whose existence I am currently unaware), you don't own it.

While property taxes exist, you will never own it. I don't care what your title says or how much you "paid for it".

</threadjack>

Damn right they should be.

mydoghasfleas

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Undisclosed

This event is just a relatively novel twist on the ever-present theme of neo-feudalism.

</threadjack>

308132_291074240915210_205847359437899_1014418_1430668680_n.jpg

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom