Normandy beach, remembering the fallen and spotting WW2 fortifications.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I wonder how those boats could even float with the size of the balls of the soldiers who were on them.

I wonder that myself.

Most of them knew they would probably just last a few seconds on that beach and die on a foreign land to rescue people they never met.
    Yet they still volunteered for the job.
    I don't think you can understand their mindset unless you done that yourself.
    Some even as young as 16, who lied about their age to join.

I often look at their age on the tomstones of the different military cemeteries I visit.You rarely see one older than 25.
    If he's in his 30's or 40's he was most likely a high ranking officer or a chaplain.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I read the story of a Canadian officer who saved 200 of his men when he saw that the landing was a total failure.
    He ordered the last landing crafts to turn around and go back to the main ship.
    To do so he had to stand on the deck of one of the landing crafts, a few hundred yards from the German machine guns, put his white gloves on and wave to his men until all the remaning crafts saw his signals.
    That made him the biggest target on the beach and he only survived 20 seconds but that was enough time for 6 landing crafts to veer off course and go back to the main ship.
    That's true heroism.
    He knew he had to stand tall and visible (both from his men and the enemy shooting at him) for as long as he could to save as much men as possible.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    The whole complex is quite large and I have no idea how deep it goes inside the cliff.
    I think it might have been as an underground hospital.

143famh.jpg

The bunkers previously shown are right on top of that part of the cliff, they could be linked.

1j6bfp.jpg

Gibraltar has some pretty impressive fortifications built into the "Rock".
    But all my pics are of the outside. And I'd have to spend time scanning them in.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Another one spotted downtown the same day.
    I drove past it before, this one I was on foot so I got to stop and take a few pictures.

It's quite large but just the entrance is exposed, the rest is fully underground.

546o3s.jpg

That makes one pretty solid wall for that neighboring garage.

2vttq9u.jpg

Unfortunately this one is also off limit for the public.

A modern gate and fence has been added since the original gate is in pretty poor shape.
    But notice it remains locked with a padlock, you can never be too safe.

That picture is taken thru the first gate.

2qv705f.jpg

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I managed to find the floor plans.

29ofo1d.png

It looks like it has a secondary entrance with another gate at the rear of the building but I couldn't find it.
    Probably now in someone's yard.

Top Bottom