• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IMPULSE.ACTIONS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    There
    I've been thinking about this for a while now.

What are your guys thoughts on carrying a non-lethal round only as your chambered round?

Could you send a 2nd or follow up shot quick enough if you need the lethal force?

Are non-lethal or "rubber" rounds in .45, .40. 9mm etc. readily available?

I guess I'm just curious what everyone else's thoughts are on all the aspects of this.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I've been thinking about this for a while now.

What are your guys thoughts on carrying a non-lethal round only as your chambered round?

Could you send a 2nd or follow up shot quick enough if you need the lethal force?

Are non-lethal or "rubber" rounds in .45, .40. 9mm etc. readily available?

I guess I'm just curious what everyone else's thoughts are on all the aspects of this.
    If its time to pull the trigger, the time for "warning" somebody has passed. The warning comes verbally and as a last resort, as drawing down on them. If they don't take things seriously when you draw down, and there is still a threat, you're shooting to stop the threat. And if you really need to stop a threat quickly, do you want that first round to be a fake? IMHO, if its time to pull the trigger, the games are over and its all serious. The non-lethal stuff is for crowd control and such, not life-or-death self-defense situations.

Thats my :twocents:

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    I agree with other posters if you pulled your gun you're shooting to stop a threat. Will you have time to take a second shot if needed? What happens if your second shot misses? What if there are multiple bad guys? You want the first guy down before you move to the second. Many reasons to think this is a bad idea, , but assuming you wanted a less lethal round you could load a revolver with shot shells. This might lessen the chances of killing someone, but in the end even this might do them in.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    How 'bout some "light" rounds? We could pack them full of feathers and TICKLE the perp into submission! Or maybe rounds loaded with pool chalk, you could Smurf them to death!
    ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
    Is that a real question?

IMPULSE.ACTIONS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    There
    My thoughts and feelings keep coming back to exactly how countryboy and mike have explained it but I was just curious what others opinions were on this. I like many others hope that i never have the day come that I would have to draw my firearm and have always said in a defense situation that if it comes out of the holster I have already made the decision to use it.

Mgderf, yes they are real questions, thanks for the input.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Squeezing the trigger on your firearm constitutes deadly force. A prosecutor would likely begin with a question such as, "If you didn't feel the situation required deadly force, why did you draw in the first place?" or conversely, "If you felt the situation required the use of deadly force, why did you fire a non-lethal * round at the defendant?"

If you're going to go over the barrel anyway, you might as well have actually stopped the perp so he doesn't have the opportunity to take advantage of your position twice.

Blessings,
    Bill

*(Yeah, I know. "less lethal". I'm trying to use the kinds of terms they'd probably use to get the jury to say you're guilty.)

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    My thoughts and feelings keep coming back to exactly how countryboy and mike have explained it but I was just curious what others opinions were on this. I like many others hope that i never have the day come that I would have to draw my firearm and have always said in a defense situation that if it comes out of the holster I have already made the decision to use it.

Mgderf, yes they are real questions, thanks for the input.

IMHO, Your question is legitimate and I understand it. You/we are (generally speaking) good and decent people. We have no desire to kill anyone. But as the others have stated, by the time you pull the trigger all other options are gone and since sometimes there is only time for one shot, it better count!!! :yesway: :patriot:

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    This has been true for 150 years!

If its time to pull the trigger, the time for "warning" somebody has passed. The warning comes verbally and as a last resort, as drawing down on them. If they don't take things seriously when you draw down, and there is still a threat, you're shooting to stop the threat. And if you really need to stop a threat quickly, do you want that first round to be a fake? IMHO, if its time to pull the trigger, the games are over and its all serious. The non-lethal stuff is for crowd control and such, not life-or-death self-defense situations.

Thats my :twocents:

Repped for good advice!:ar15:

The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky
    I did some looking and i found some

MidwayUSA - X-Ring Rubber Bullets 45 Caliber (451 to 452 Diameter) Box of 50

Honestly i think they might be a great idea for Cheap practice ammo. reusable, no powder (they fire of of just the primer) and you can use spent brass.

Here is a site on the loading procedure

Rubber Practice Ammo

pftraining_in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    IN: South of I-70
    Something to keep in mind, anything loaded to less lethal velocities will not have enough velocity to run the action of a semi-automatic firearm. You also run the chance of stacking fired rounds in the barrel when you deal with low velocities. In a stressful situation you may not see if a less lethal round left the barrel, firing a lethal round behind it would make the person behind the firearm the casualty.

Any situation where a person other than a police officer would be justified in using less lethal, I believe, would be seen as a situation were retreat would be a better option. Use of less lethal impact weapons, especially one that is deployed from a firearm, requires significant training. Anything less lethal that impacts the body from a firearm can become lethal by being fired too close to the suspect and if aimed at the wrong location on the body.

Last edited:

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    If you want a less than lethal shot, bullet placement is where you should focus.

But IMO, if (and I hope never have to) I pull a gun..... I have deemed the situation a deadly threat to me and this person wants to kill me, and my goal at that point is to kill him before he kills me.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    When I'm fishing, hiking, in the woods for whatever, the first two rounds are often snakeshot. That's the only time I carry less lethal rounds. Frankly, it is my opinion that if a self defense situation doesn't justify using lethal ammo, it doesn't justify using a gun.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Didn't mean to be curt. Your question just brings to mind a quote I saw AGAIN, just the other day.
    Uncle Ted Nugent says,
    "I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders".
    It is MY opinion that firearms are "DEADLY WEAPONS", and are to be used as such!
    Less than lethal, in my opinion, would be a baseball bat, or my fist!

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Rubber bullets are great for practice. They won't work the action on a semi-auto but they are fine in revolvers.
    An alternative is to buy cakes of candle wax and push the cases into the wax to put a wadcutter type bullet into the case. You don't have to find the wax bullets.

Non-lethal first rounds are a bad idea because the first thing you lose in a gun fight is awareness of how many rounds you have fired. There are cases on record where an experienced LEO said he fired 2 or 3 times when, in fact, he had emptied his 15 round magazine. When its time to shoot, shoot, don't tap.

Doug

Top Bottom