• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bradrob

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2014
    Hamilton County
    I bought a Shield 9 several months ago mainly for home defense and possibly CCW. I've pretty much decided against the CCW for now, so I plan on using the Shield as my nightstand gun. If I do ever decide to CCW, I'll probably end up with a new pocket carry.

Anyway my question is, would I be better off with night sights, laser, or light on the Shield in case I need it in the middle of the night? I can see where the night sights and laser would help in sight alignment, but not so much in seeing the target. Right now I keep a small tactical LED light right next to my pistol, but not sure I'd want to be handling both in a hairy situation.

Any opinions on what others use would be appreciated.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    A light and laser would give me a general area to point and shoot. And I could project what corner you were coming around due to the visibility in both ends. I run night sights myself.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The answer to your question is "Yes," especially since it's going to be a dedicated house gun. None of the three replace the others, but they can complement each other nicely if you know how to use them effectively. If you have to pick just one, I'd go with light, night sights, and laser in that order.

Also, even if you have a light mounted on your gun, you need a handheld light too.

From the nature of your question, I infer that you don't have a lot of experience and/or training with such things. You may wish to consider seeking some professional defensive firearms instruction both to help you develop a fundamental skill set as well as help you answer the question you posed.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    I agree with Tydeeh about not giving your position away, but the need to see where you're walking is there as well.

Walk around the house with the lights off a few times. Its muscle memory and most people dont realize it. The only way youre going to bump into things is when they are out of place.

bradrob

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2014
    Hamilton County
    The answer to your question is "Yes," especially since it's going to be a dedicated house gun. None of the three replace the others, but they can complement each other nicely if you know how to use them effectively. If you have to pick just one, I'd go with light, night sights, and laser in that order.

Also, even if you have a light mounted on your gun, you need a handheld light too.

From the nature of your question, I infer that you don't have a lot of experience and/or training with such things. You may wish to consider seeking some professional defensive firearms instruction both to help you develop a fundamental skill set as well as help you answer the question you posed.

So Rhino, curious what you use? Do you really have all three, and a loose flashlight?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    All of my defensive guns already have night sights. When I have kept a gun specifically as an equivalent to a nightstand gun, I had a light mounted on it. I have not yet invested in any lasers, but I recognize their utility as an adjunct to iron sights. When I am at home, I carry on my person instead of staging weapons somewhere in the house.

I do not have a light mounted at this time (although I do possess one and a holster that will allow it mounted which I use for occasional practice). If I were doing it all over, I would have acquired more holsters that would accommodate a mounted light and it's likely I'd have the light mounted all the time. As it is, the vast majority of my training and practice in low light conditions has been with a handheld light and using the pistol one-handed. However, I have used the mounted light enough to realize that it's a huge advantage for when you are actually shooting.

I always have a flashlight on my person (well, more than one a vast majority of the time).

Street Howitzer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2013
    South Bend
    I've got a flashlight mounted on my HD shotgun. I need to know who it is before I shoot. I don't want to shoot a drunk neighbor who came in the wrong house or someone who is not actually threatening my life and just wants my TV. If I'm threatened with deadly force I'll return the favor without hesitation, but I'd rather not kill someone who broke in for a petty theft thinking I wasn't home.

theledwarehouse

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Vicksburg, MI
    It really comes down to how you practice and what you are comfortable doing. Personally I don't typically have a pistol mounted light, but, I shoot competitive bulls eye, so I have a lot of comfort in shooting one handed. So It's not a lot of extra effort to hold a light in one hand (which I can move around easily) and accurately shoot a gun one handed. But I shoot 60-120 rounds one handed most weeks.

That said, these days I have a PD35 and a MMR-X in reach of my pillow, so I'm not short on light power, which is in my advantage as well. (Although, I'm thinking about getting a few more lights in case Rhino breaks in)

FOURSEVENS Maelstrom Regen MMR-X

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It really comes down to how you practice and what you are comfortable doing. Personally I don't typically have a pistol mounted light, but, I shoot competitive bulls eye, so I have a lot of comfort in shooting one handed. So It's not a lot of extra effort to hold a light in one hand (which I can move around easily) and accurately shoot a gun one handed. But I shoot 60-120 rounds one handed most weeks.

That said, these days I have a PD35 and a MMR-X in reach of my pillow, so I'm not short on light power, which is in my advantage as well. (Although, I'm thinking about getting a few more lights in case Rhino breaks in)

FOURSEVENS Maelstrom Regen MMR-X

Always be prepared!

Top Bottom