• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I’ve been reloading .308 and .223 for years. Have never really loaded for pistol with the exception of 20 rds of .40 in a class I took 8-10 years ago. I’ve been saving my brass for a few years and decided to do some processing today. On rifle cases both the neck and body get sized as well as the ID of the neck. I was depriming a bucket of .45 ACP as well as sizing since it is the same die. I noticed a good number still had irregularities in the ID. None of the dies in my sets have anything to correct the ID so the bullet can be seated properly. What do you do with these cases? Toss them?

Thanks, Matt

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    Thanks to a few of your comments, I looked a bit closer at my die sets. One of the dies in my set is a powder through expanding die. I was expecting a solid pin similar to my rifle dies. Did not recognize the expander for what it was. One of those duh, face palm moments!

Thank you all!
    Matt

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Ah….Lee Dies. I have never seen any type of mandrel to size the inside of brass on any pistol dies.

1. Size and decap
    2. Bell and drop powder
    3. Seat the Bullet plus can crimp
    4. Optional crimp die. I personally run all of my pistol ammo through the 4th crimp die. Even my .223 goes through a Lee FCD.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Thanks to a few of your comments, I looked a bit closer at my die sets. One of the dies in my set is a powder through expanding die. I was expecting a solid pin similar to my rifle dies. Did not recognize the expander for what it was. One of those duh, face palm moments!

Thank you all!
    Matt
    Yep PTX die makes the process *much* easier. Make sure it is adjusted correctly. It doesn't take much expansion on a 45ACP to get the job done. And...just enough tension on the neck when seating to keep the bullet from getting pushed back into the case.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    The expanding die can go into the case as much as 1/4”. Should I not go that far? Just enough for the bullet to start? Thanks again, Matt
    For jacketed bullets, just enough to get it started. For lead bullets or coated lead bullets, flare the mouth enough to prevent shaving off any lead or bullet coating.

Firehawk

a.k.a. Rainmaker, Rainhawk, Firemaker or whatever
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    I’ve had that before. I reload a lot of range brass that is often in rough shape. If mouth of the case is seriously out of round as in crushed or creased, I throw it away. Usually the sizer die will make it round again. If not, use the expander die. It will touch the inside of the case mouth and force it round.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom