• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scott223

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 9, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Hello everyone, i am new to reloading. I took basic reloading at Pro Fire and i was wondering if i might get some suggestions from other veteran loaders about what kind and brand of loader i should go with. All opinons would be appreciated as that would save me from making novice mistakes. I am going to be loading pistol and rifle. Mainly 9mm, 45cal, .233 and .308

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Well Scott, for 30 plus years I have been using a Lee 4 hole Turret Press (though it started as a 3 hole) and I think it is by far the best bang for the buck. I also went with Lee Dies & a Lee AutoDisk powder dropper. I did go with Redding for my Scale as I didn't care for the one Lee makes much. I use a bean scale, Redding #2 but I suspect you will want an electronic one so I will leave that to others to suggest.

I use the Turret press for my handguns and I use a single stage for rifles since I am not loading for a semi-auto. If you are loading for a semi-auto, I suggest a progressive press from Dillon for you rifle needs, in fact you can just go Dillon all the way for everything since a progressive press will make your ammo faster. IMO, Dillon makes the best progressive presses. By going this way though, you will have a higher inititial cost than you would going with the Lee TURRET. The Lee Classic Turret will load the rifles as well though it won't be as fast. So this would be a matter of personal choice.

You will hear a lot of folks tell you, "You get what you pay for" which is supposed to mean Lee makes crappy equipment. I have to disagree, I think they simply feel they must pay more for something to make it work. All brands work pretty well, Lee just costs less. I'm not that rich so I use Lee. :)

There are my :twocents:

shadow6492

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Garrett/Auburn IN
    I started with a Lee 50th anniversary kit and upgraded a couple things at first to get started reloading. You will get new tools, etc to make reloading easier as you reload more and more. I'm still using the Lee kit, but looking to add a Redding T7 into the mix.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Did you like the class at Profire? Did you feel that Andrew knew what he was talking about? (I already know your answers, it's a thing I do).

Go back to Profire. They have really nice Hornady kits on the shelf, I saw two today. If you decide you want something else, Andrew can order it for you & give you a good price. Plus you can go back & ask questions.

It's just a thing they do.. very, very well.

I've had an RCBS progressive; I currently have a Hornady LNL Auto Progressive. I really like the Hornady.

Scott223

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 9, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Thanks

Appreciate all comments, so many choices and so little time..... I loved the reloading class, learned a lot and learned I have oh such more to learn. My only problem with Andrew is when you ask him a question he rattles off a boatload of info back at you!!!!! Makes it real hard for a noob to absorb it!!!! I do really appreciate all the recommendations.

swanny

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2012
    Scott,

Honestly you need to investigate the equipment on your own and look at the pro's and con's. To me it seems like all of the products have strong points that would make you want them. ( I have some of just about every brand, they all are good in their own rights if it is for budget, capability, life span, warranty, or quality ) Secondly don't hesitate to re-ask Andrew questions I'm sure he would be happy to repeat himself to ensure his customers are happy with their decision.

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    andrew set me up with a nice rcbs set up, and it is working beautifully, i JUST finished loading my first 50 rounds for my m1 garand. it is only a single stage, so it is a little more time consuming than a turret press, but, i will move up to that when i am 100% comfortable with how everything works.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    Lee loadmasted or lee classic turret. Base your decision on how much you plan to be shooting and whether or not you have much time to spend reloading. A lot of people hate on lee but they are good products a lot of time its user error.

yournamehere

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    I dont know any of the other posters but if you buy anything other that the blue stuff your going to regret it. Been using the best loaders in the world for almost 20 years and nothing compares. They are back ordered out the ass but its worth the wait.

Buy once and cry once. Go to a site that has members who reload THOUSANDS of rounds a year like Enos or 1911 and do more research. Loading isnt hard and you DONT need to take lessons. Just read and now the nice source of youtube makes it foolproof.

IF you load less than 100 rounds of any cal then go for any of the above. IF you load more than a few hundred you WILL kick yourself in the ass for not going DILLON!!
    General Reloading - Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Gee, I load thousands of round a year, I use Lee. I don't know you either. :)

It really is all in who you are used to using and how you are able to use the tools yo have. I admit i can't load more than 250 rounds per hour with my Classic 4 hole since I don't use any of the indexing stuff or auto prime gear, I turn the turret by hand and put each primer in the little press prime unit one at a time as well. Over the years I just got used to doing it this way and I have it all set up so it is as efficiently placed for me as possible.

That doesn't mean the other companies are junk though, just means I like Lee. I am always amazed by people who call something "The Best" when this is all a matter of one's opinion, period. What's best for you is just that, best for you and nothing more.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Blue, green, red they all have advantages and disadvantages. I spent a lot of time reading and thinking before I spent any money. I decided on Dillon and I am happy with that choice. The current backorder status led to a half-state scavenger hunt for parts to expand my capabilities but I wouldn't change my decision. Other people are just as happy with a different press because it is right for them.

Training classes, videos, books, and seeking advice is always good. The one thing no one can ever take from you is knowledge gained. I haven't taken a class from Andrew but only because he was booked up when I called. It is still on my list of things to do when possible.

dfranks

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 8, 2013
    Years ago a friend taught me the basics on reloading on his Dillon SDB. He said if I ever got into reloading myself to get a Dillon, he never had a problem with his. He had me up and running, pumping out ammo for him in a very short period of time. It worked out well, he got free labor and I learned the basics... win win

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Your Wife is a KEEPER!!

I'm new to the hobby as well. My wife got me a RCBS Rockchucker for Xmas and I love it.

My first press was a RockChucker-40 years later-Still my best single stage-on the right side of my bench.

FWIW: My Wife also a keeper-She bought me a Dillon RL550 for Christmas about 25 years ago-on the left side of my bench!!

Learn all you can on your RockChucker and then add a Blue progressive to the other side of your bench--you will NOT regret it...Bill..

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    I am new to reloading too. I want to take Andrews class but I cannot work it into my schedule at this time. I have the RCBS Rock Chucker. I took the advise of many reloaders and purchased the single stage to start out. Right now I am not shooting 1000s of rounds so I do not need to produce that much. I was thinking about buying a Lee Turret once I get more practice but I think now I will just save up the money and jump to a Dillion.

BK1962

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    North Liberty
    I started on a Lee single stage, I had small kids and money was tight. On the plus side, building ammo one step at a time forced me to learn and understand ammunition and safe practice. Twenty some years later I'm up to four presses. I still use my Lee single stage and turret presses for working up loads and smaller runs. And I use my Dillon xl650 for mass production. Each time I bought something new, setting up the press seemed more complex. Again, it forced me to learn and understand so I could "feel it in the handle" if something was not right. If you screw up on a single stage. You generally catch your mistake on that pull of the handle. A progressive at warp speed, not so much...

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Another fan of the Lee Turret...

It's got to be one of the best values out there. The Classic is the heavier built one.

Very versatile... Can be used either as a single stage or you can speed things up by using the auto indexing feature.

Very fast caliber switch overs... especially if you have a Auto disc mounted on each turret...

While it's much faster than a single stage, it won't come close to a progressive on speed... IMO, this isn't a negative for those on a monthly component allowance and actually enjoy time at the bench...

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    You know, since mine is thirty plus years old and was converted from three holes to fours, what is it, a classic or just a turret press? I always wondered this in case I ever needed to order a replacement part for something that broke. So far this hasn't happened but it is getting old and it has been through a tornado and a flood and looks it, though I think it just looks "used". The flood was the worst as this left a bit of rusty areas that even after it was all removed and cleaned it was discolored. The three uprights are round on mine too, not octagonal like they are now. Maybe I should paint them black?

I have a different turret for each caliber plus I have two of the auto disks, one is a double disk set up and the other is a one disk. Those I move from set to set. Even then a caliber change takes minutes, especially is you are using the same powder for both of them. Change turrets and shell holders, install the auto-disk and out in the right disk with the right cavity in place and it's ready to go aside form adjusting the sati to suit the bullet and the crimp if needed. Once you set the dies in place and have the lock rings tightened down with your 1 1/8" wrench, they never move on you even if you are a bit of a klutz with them. I do have two duplicate sets of dies, .32 H&R Mags & .36 Spl, because I shoot wadcutters often with them and once you have those set up right, it makes you sad to then change the seating and crimp for a "regular" bullet again. So one set is marked for wadcutters only and the other one is marked for everything else. :)

Honestly, if I had the scratch, I'd buy a Dillon progressive too. I just don't think I will ever have the close to a grand to get one, set with most of what is supposedly needed per the Dillon site. If I get some windfall or maybe a gift of something I can trade or sell off for most of the price, then that is when I will do it. Maybe after the panic they will start popping up for low prices "used" too fro all of the panic people who found out that reloading wasn't for them too. :)

I live in hope.;)

prostate

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Greencastle, IN
    Lee turret

I received a Lee turret and I have been trying to get more information on how to assemble this thing. The instructions are not very complete. I tried some books, but there are no specific instructions on it assembly. Please help

Top Bottom