• ...and so much more!
  • draketungsten

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2012
    Hendricks Co.
    Hey guys,

I'm looking for some input on a good method to learn to hunt.

I didn't grow up in a household that hunted nor was any of my relatives who did hunt close enough that I could have learned from them. Now, I'm in my mid 30's trying to learn as an adult and it's pretty hard to do on your own.

However, I've always been around guns so I know how to handle them and can hit most things if I can see it. I've got an assortment of them that I've picked up through out the years that are suitable for hunting (.22LR, 12 Ga Auto 5 clone, 20 Ga single shot, etc).

I've tried to introduce myself to hunting most youngsters do, squirrel and rabbit hunting. However, so far expeditions have ended in other than successful conclusions.

My question is this, would joining a conservation club or a gun club be a good way to get some experience under the belt? I figure they usually have sanctioned hunting events or at least an informal bunch of guys that get together and go out. Plus by joining, it gives me access to a range to put lead down range which I'm always happy to do. I can also bring my 8 yr old with me so he can learn as well. He's gone with me on squirrel hunts because he likes to be my "spotter".

I live in Hendricks county so I was thinking about looking in to Danville Conservation Club or Cloverdale Conservation Club.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

originalhonkey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    greenwood
    my :twocents:.

there is nothing wrong with joining a club. :yesway:
    i think that time is the best teacher when it comes to all forms of hunting. yes there are some great tips out there that can help but i think that theres a lot of crap and gimmicks out there too. if you start with the basics NOISE CONTROL , SENT CONTROL , HUNTING THE WIND, GOOD LOCATION , AND MOVEMENT CONTROL, PLUS ALOT OF TIME IN THE WOODS(ON AND OFF SEASONS) i think you will find a good hunting style faster and more efficient.

there might be some that see it different but you can have all the latest and greatest gear out but if you go crashing around talking out loud smelling like the night before in a woods youve been to twice with a gun you shoot 5or 6 times a year at a zombie target your odds are zero. with any game hunting.

so start with the sucky part, prep!
    first scout the area to make sure the game is there.dont treat the scout as a joke, treat it like a light hunt (low noise,sent block,movement control stop look listen move slow) i promise good hunting starts here.

get your gear ready!
    clean,sent free, broken paterns, organized

get your gun ready!
    differ your yardage. shoot at simmilar targets to what your going to hunt.(no black and white bullseyes in the woods)
    safety safety safety

play the wind!
    if the wind is not in your favor move to were it is. check the wind during your hunt it will change.

sent control!
    its not just a spray or a wash. pick smart paths that leave little foot prints. dont spit on the ground, fart, pee, smoke or others.

stay quiet!;)

spend time and as much time in the woods watching as you can if you follow the above it will get you close enough to what youre hunting to observe their patterns for were your hunting.keep this in mind where i hunt and you hunt are not going to be the same. all my little tricks and observations wont always work for you so the more time you spend the more you will see how your animals act and react.

the basics are key. other hunters can be of help but also can teach bad habits.

hope this helps :dunno:

Last edited:

tightlines

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    West of Indy
    Don't do it. You're setting yourself up for a lifetime addiction/obsession.

No but seriously all of the previous post is good advice for a beginner. The most important thing is to spend time in the woods. Find a buddy that knows the woods and prepare to learn.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2011
    carmel
    I came from a similar background, as in noone in my family was a hunter, or even a gun owner. First time I actually got out to hunt, I had no idea really where or what to listen or look for. Walking around the woods, I stumbled into a conservation officer, who actually led me to a spot, all the while telling me what to look for to hunt squirrels, spotted one for me, and I bagged my first. If you can get ahold of one, these guys are your best resources as far as learning. They're out there everyday learning the patterns and general locations of game animals. As far as some general tips for squirrels, learn what trees are producing nuts, and at what time of year. You find those nuts, and you will see squirrels. Also, look for squirrel nests. A bunch in one location usually means a squirrel or two is nearby.

kolob10

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Beautiful Southern Indiana
    Welcome to INGO and the fraternity of hunters. I was fortunate to have a father that taught me about hunting/tracking. When I was a kid, we often would only have meat if we killed it and brought it home for the pot. I applaud your desire to teach your child the joys of hunting.

There are several good books and sites around the web that can teach you the basics of small game and big game hunting. My father taught me small game hunting but I am self taught on big game including deer, elk, bear, moose & antelope. I can still remember my first trip out west for antelope, mule deer, and elk. I read all I could (no internet back then) on guns, ammo, equipment, game habits, tracking, and game processing. I then proceeded to secure a place to hunt via phone and letter. It was quite exciting and proved to be very productive from an entertainment and food gathering prospective.

Find a friend who is experienced and ask him to tag along. I shot my first bunny at age 3, my first squirrel at age 8, and my first deer at age 18. I'm older now and cherish my days afield with dog, friend, and family. I feel to truely be one with mother nature, one must be part of the natural process. Good shooting and enjoy your days afield with your son.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My dad was a gun guy, but only really hunted groundhogs.
    I learned how to hunt all the other stuff by myself.
    More than occasionally wild game ends up in my freezer ;)

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    If you want to learn the woods, you have to be out in them. When I was younger I would walk into the woods for a bit, find a place to sit down, and then just sit there. Being quiet, moving very little. It takes about 20 minutes for the woods to forget you're there. You'll be amazed at all the things you can see or hear by just sitting there quietly and observing the woods around you. My favorite time to do this is in the early fall. I'd spend about two hours of observation on my scouting trips. It always paid off. If it is not hunting season, wear cammo.

Top Bottom