• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Ok, I've had my permit for a while, got a handgun of my own now, and FINALLY found a good holster for it, but some recent events have led me to some questions... Here are the events.

Got my holster and got it set up how I wanted it, and realized 2 things tight off the bat...
    1. A Witness Match is a large gun for extended carrying (all day).
    2. I need a real carry belt.
    3. I'm not used to that much weight on my hip (and it was unloaded.)

The questions I have:

1. For those that carry, did you find it more comfortable in general to start off CC or OC in public? (I do have my eye on a specific gun that will be more carry-friendly for me, at least for now, until I get used to it.)

2. I have a 3 year old son, and he was completely fascinated by me wearing a gun around our apartment. That doesn't bother me, as it's a good way to start teaching him right. What I am concerned about is that for 2 days he talked and asked about it constantly ("where's you gun daddy", "what did you do with your gun", "you have a gun", "when me bigger I can have a gun"), and I don't really want to be in public with him calling attention to it all the time. If I OC and people notice, fine, but I don't call attention to it myself, and don't want undue attention.

Any of you ever had the same issue and how did you deal with it? I'm thinking of just wearing it around the apartment more and hoping eventually he'll just get bored with it and it won't be a big deal... But when he gets fixated on something, it takes him a long time to let it go...

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    First of all, welcome to the LTCH club!!

That being said. Your carry gun should be comfortable to you. A proper gun belt will help to alleviate some of that weight by dispersing it around the whole waist.

When I first started, I CC'ed almost everywhere. I OC on a very rare occasion, but not usually.

I would tell your little boy that the only place he should talk about the gun is at home. I would encourage him to watch but never touch without permission. Reiterate safety and the importance to never "play" with a gun.

If you don't want undue attention, don't OC, you will get attention, whether you call attention to it or not. I would recommend you CC until you become comfortable and confident in its presence, that way if you OC and do end up talking to an LEO (Which is basically inevitable at some time or another), you aren't anxious, and you stay calm and respectful.

To get used to it, you need to wear it. I would suggest in public to, because if you get used to having it will you as you go in public, you will be more confident. I suggest CC, again.

These are just my :twocents: and I hope that their worth something to you!!!

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I only OC inside the house or when out hunting, the rest of the time it is CC. A good belt works wonders, I use a Wilderness Tactical 5-stitch belt. It is cheap and works great for me.

The cat is out of the bag with the 3 year old...you may decide to CC but your 3YO may decide to share your secret at the most inconvenient of times. My 3YO is none the wiser and I plan on keeping that way as long as I can.

I would try to let him get bored with it. It's the things that are mysterous and forbidden that fascinate children. Let him see it, handle it, any time he wants (UNLOADED AND WITH 100% SUPERVISION)...the fascination will wear off soon enough and he won't think much of it. When it isn't holstered on your hip it should be locked in a safe...no safety compromises with kids in the house ever.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I'll repeat the advice to get a good gun belt. Wilderness Tactical is a great, cost-effective option if you clothing will allow it (it isn't exactly formal/dressy). If you need a leather belt, the BeltMan makes a superior, but pricey one. There are other options available.

I don't have a kid, but educating your son is a priority. I've heard good things about the NRA's Eddie Eagle safety program for kids. They recommend a different set of safety rules than you would be used to, but that are geared to small children. The key is to get him used to not touching the gun on his own, but that he can under supervision. Good luck.

ilfishin

I don't like this
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    I would try to let him get bored with it. It's the things that are mysterous and forbidden that fascinate children. Let him see it, handle it, any time he wants (UNLOADED AND WITH 100% SUPERVISION)...the fascination will wear off soon enough and he won't think much of it. When it isn't holstered on your hip it should be locked in a safe...no safety compromises with kids in the house ever.

This is the way I did it with my son. Any time he asked to see my guns we would sit down and go through them one at a time. Sometimes it only took a few minutes while other times we were at it for hours. Eventually the asking became fewer and far between. He started shooting 22's at 5 and hasn't looked back. He's 18 now and shoots better than I do. Spend time with him and teach him safety above all else. Soon it won't be a big deal that daddy has a gun.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    First of all, welcome to the LTCH club!!

That being said. Your carry gun should be comfortable to you. A proper gun belt will help to alleviate some of that weight by dispersing it around the whole waist.

When I first started, I CC'ed almost everywhere. I OC on a very rare occasion, but not usually.

I would tell your little boy that the only place he should talk about the gun is at home. I would encourage him to watch but never touch without permission. Reiterate safety and the importance to never "play" with a gun.

If you don't want undue attention, don't OC, you will get attention, whether you call attention to it or not. I would recommend you CC until you become comfortable and confident in its presence, that way if you OC and do end up talking to an LEO (Which is basically inevitable at some time or another), you aren't anxious, and you stay calm and respectful.

To get used to it, you need to wear it. I would suggest in public to, because if you get used to having it will you as you go in public, you will be more confident. I suggest CC, again.

These are just my :twocents: and I hope that their worth something to you!!!

That's kind of where I'm at, though my son still has a little trouble with the concept of things to talk about at home and things in public, as most 3 year olds do. There's also the possibility of ADHD as it runs in the family on his egg donors side... He has a hard time stopping long enough to pay attention and listen well.
    There are no compromises on safety, I don't have a safe anymore, but it is in a double locked case on the top shelf in a closed closet in a room he can't get in when it's not in my immediate possession.
    I'll have to check out those Wilderness Tactical belts, I saw Beltman's, nice, but pricey right now.
    Me and dad are planning on starting the "formal" firearm training (BB gun training) probably next year, as he turns 4 in May, so a good time of year to get him out in the woods and start tromping around, shooting, hopefully he'll get better at following directions by then...
    I keep letting him have a little more rope, but he keeps hanging himself with it, lol.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    Ok, I've had my permit for a while, got a handgun of my own now, and FINALLY found a good holster for it, but some recent events have led me to some questions... Here are the events.

Got my holster and got it set up how I wanted it, and realized 2 things tight off the bat...
    1. A Witness Match is a large gun for extended carrying (all day).
    I carry a full size Glock. With a good holster and belt it becomes almost un noticable.
    2. I need a real carry belt.
    Might I sugest the wilderness belt. Wilderness Tactical Frequent Flyer 5-Stitch Instructor Belt Delrin Buckle Nylon - MidwayUSA
    3. I'm not used to that much weight on my hip (and it was unloaded.)
    The weight does take some getting used to. I've found that carrying two mags on opposite side helps to balance things out. Plus can you really even have "to much" ammo?

The questions I have:

1. For those that carry, did you find it more comfortable in general to start off CC or OC in public? (I do have my eye on a specific gun that will be more carry-friendly for me, at least for now, until I get used to it.)
    I don't think it matters. Both will prob make you uncomfortable at first.

2. I have a 3 year old son, and he was completely fascinated by me wearing a gun around our apartment. That doesn't bother me, as it's a good way to start teaching him right. What I am concerned about is that for 2 days he talked and asked about it constantly ("where's you gun daddy", "what did you do with your gun", "you have a gun", "when me bigger I can have a gun"), and I don't really want to be in public with him calling attention to it all the time. If I OC and people notice, fine, but I don't call attention to it myself, and don't want undue attention.
    Mine kids were like that at first too. It didn't take long for them to get over it. Usually the only time they say something now is when I'm not carrying.

Any of you ever had the same issue and how did you deal with it? I'm thinking of just wearing it around the apartment more and hoping eventually he'll just get bored with it and it won't be a big deal...
    This is what I did. But I'm one of "those people" that carry pretty much all the time. Having your gun on you at all times is the safest way to have a loaded gun accesible and still be out of reach of the lil ones..
    But when he gets fixated on something, it takes him a long time to let it go..
    This is a trait commonly found in women. He may be spending to much time around mom.:D.[/quote]

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    But when he gets fixated on something, it takes him a long time to let it go..
    This is a trait commonly found in women. He may be spending to much time around mom.:D.[/quote]

Lol, good point, but he doesn't get much time around mom due to court order...
    But brings up another point, if he mentions it around her, I can see it becoming an issue of contention if she ever attempts to get custody back down the road. No matter that it's perfectly legal, I have a spotless criminal record, and she lost her kids for neglect. She'd try to turn me into a bad guy for having a gun around my son, no matter how safe I handled it. I'll probably just burn that bridge if I ever get to it...

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    We're going through many of the same issues right now. My little one's are 1 and 3, and they too finally realized there was something on my hip. Actually it was noticed more when I bought a few long guns and had been shooting often. The oldest showed interest in what I was doing and from that first time, I continue to take the curiosity out of it. I let her help carry ammo to the cabinet with me, she can touch when she asks, etc. It's worked well and even when she bumps into my cc, she doesn't say anything anymore.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I carry a full-size 1911 or a full-size Glock (when the spring isn't malfunctioning :xmad:). I don't think anyone mentioned it, but a great holster and belt will do wonders for comfort. I'll add this: I personally think a the holster makes more of a difference than the belt, but a good belt can help shore up a poor holster's shortcomings. I've found I need a really good belt to keep the Glock holster (Blackhawk Serpa style) secured and comfortable. But I can get by with a Walmart cheapie belt for the 1911 holster (Galco leather with thumb-break strap simplicity). I think it's because the Glock is carried farther away from the body and there's more room for movement if not sufficiently supported by the belt. But the 1911 holster is almost integral to the belt to some extent and there's very little movement. Just my opinion. (Of course, the Walmart cheapie's don't last very long because the wear and tear of carry takes it's toll, so keep that in mind as well.)

As for the kids, just keep iterating the importance of only discussing them at home. 3y/o is such a transitional age. One day you're telling him for the millionth time and wondering if he'll ever make the connection, the next day he's acting like he's always obeyed the rules. Having them in place and non-negotiable before he truly understands will help him stay obedient to them when it finally does click.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I carry a full-size 1911 or a full-size Glock (when the spring isn't malfunctioning :xmad:). I don't think anyone mentioned it, but a great holster and belt will do wonders for comfort. I'll add this: I personally think a the holster makes more of a difference than the belt, but a good belt can help shore up a poor holster's shortcomings. I've found I need a really good belt to keep the Glock holster (Blackhawk Serpa style) secured and comfortable. But I can get by with a Walmart cheapie belt for the 1911 holster (Galco leather with thumb-break strap simplicity). I think it's because the Glock is carried farther away from the body and there's more room for movement if not sufficiently supported by the belt. But the 1911 holster is almost integral to the belt to some extent and there's very little movement. Just my opinion. (Of course, the Walmart cheapie's don't last very long because the wear and tear of carry takes it's toll, so keep that in mind as well.)

As for the kids, just keep iterating the importance of only discussing them at home. 3y/o is such a transitional age. One day you're telling him for the millionth time and wondering if he'll ever make the connection, the next day he's acting like he's always obeyed the rules. Having them in place and non-negotiable before he truly understands will help him stay obedient to them when it finally does click.

Yeah, my holster is a Bladetech Stingray, but my everyday (and only) belt is a Dickies leather work belt, unlined, sagged, rolled a little on the top, so not a real supportive belt for holster wear. I checked out the Wilderness Tactical and I'll have to get one of those direct, Midway doesn't stock my size (and that's all I'll say about that!).
    In the next 2-3 weeks I'll probably be buying a Sig P6 one way or another, and I think it'd be a lot easier to conceal being single stack, and a lot of comfortable for OC also, and seems to be a range of holster options.

Need to replace grip screws on my Witness, might do that tonight with the boy and start the learnin'... He "assisted" me while I put my rebuilt carb back on my other car today, and stayed out of the way decent enough and didn't touch everything too bad... Listened better than usual, might be a good day for that kind of thing.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TravGreen2703!!
    Top Bottom