• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BBQ GURU

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    North Side of Indy
    After researching and looking at Johnson's products at the previous 1500, I pulled the trigger and ordered one this past weekend. Got to talk with Jeff Johnson -- sure seems like a great guy.

When I was ordering, he asked me where I'd keep the safe, and based on my answer told me not to bother with a couple of the options -- wouldn't need them. I didn't think anyone did that any more -- people are always trying to sell you more and more stuff without regard to your needs.

I have about 6 weeks until it's to be delivered. Looking forward to it and based on my experience thus far, would have to recommend anyone looking for a safe to talk with Jeff and compare what he makes with anything else out there.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Jeff is a great guy and makes excellent safes. He is also an INGO Supporter! :ingo:

Unfortunately Jeff hates computers. If you are thinking about a safe call Jeff Johnson and tell him INGO sent you!

(800) 969-7993
    (317) 769-6337

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I am so jealous! I have been slowly saving up to get a Johnson Safe. I eyeball them at every 1500. Hopefully I'll get some space cleared out of the closet soon, and some cash.

Make sure you update us with pics when he delivers!

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Yeap I talked to him at the 1500.

Everybody needs a big old johnson.

Looking at the 40 long gun (overcompensation is a good thing I can alway dream.) style to complement the smaller one I have.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    After researching and looking at Johnson's products at the previous 1500, I pulled the trigger and ordered one this past weekend. Got to talk with Jeff Johnson -- sure seems like a great guy.

Would you mind sharing the size of the safe you bought and the cost?

BBQ GURU

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    North Side of Indy
    Would you mind sharing the size of the safe you bought and the cost?

I don't have my paperwork in front of me, but I'm pretty sure it was the BR540, which is 40"W x 60"H x 26"D. With a 3/8 thick door and 7 gauge steel body. Cost was 1995 plus tax and delivery/installation. He offers another model with 1/2 thick door and 1/4' thick body -- can't recall the exact cost difference.

For comparison I looked at a Liberty Lincoln series at GM in Castleton, which had thinner body (10 ga) and cost about $2500 on closeout. The Liberty had nice interior and included lights and goldenrod dehumidifier, but I could have added those to my order and still been the same or slightly less with Johnson.

EDIT: My statement above was based on pricing found on Johnson Safe's website, which appears to be about 3 years old. Current cost for my safe is 2195; roughly 2500 including tax and delivery/installation of this 1000 lb monster. Still happy with my choice, though.

Last edited:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    How many rifles is your model going to be able to hold?
    Also by delivery/install are you near the Indy area?
    While the price may seem high to the "uneducated" I actuallythink it is a very good price especially for the gauge you are getting!

I think with the "bigger vendors" what they are selling in part is also "post sale services" (ie. warranty that the safe won't fail on fire, having them come out and open it for you in case of fire/etc..) What does Johnson offer on this?

Thanks!

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    While the price may seem high to the "uneducated" I actuallythink it is a very good price especially for the gauge you are getting!

I think with the "bigger vendors" what they are selling in part is also "post sale services" (ie. warranty that the safe won't fail on fire, having them come out and open it for you in case of fire/etc..) What does Johnson offer on this?

Thanks!

Jeff is the one that makes them and delivers them. He strikes me as a guy that does what ever he can for the customer.

BBQ GURU

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    North Side of Indy

Thanks!

I am in the Indy area. Not sure on the post-sale stuff, didn't ask Jeff about that specifically.

slimplmbr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Greenfield

Thanks!

I bought one of Jeff's safes from the 1500 after doing quite a bit of research and let me tell you, you won't be able to find better features, service, warranty, or fire ratings for the money. Johnson warranties everything but the light bulbs for life, actually uses ceramic (sp) instead of drywall for the fire rating material, and if you ever decide to go to a different size safe he will give you 75% trade in value! At first it may look like Johnson Safes are expensive but after you start comparing apples for apples you will find he is actually the best bang for your buck. And another thing he told me 6-8 weeks and about 3 1/2 weeks later he called and said my safe was ready.

Top Bottom