• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KingWeb50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    I recently bought a house and the fence that is on the property currently is 4 different types of fencing and parts are falling over. I am going to replace it with a new wood privacy fence the week I move in. The problem is the neighbor is using the chain link fence that is on one side of the yard and I went and told him I will be removing it to build my new fence. His rear fence is attached to the chain link on my property but he says he built the fence and flipped out when I said I was tearing it out. A survey was done when I bought the house and it is 2 feet inside my property lines. I even offered when I build the fence I will take part of the chain link I remove and run it to my fence so there is not a gap where his dog can get out. I feel I was nice about it but he is being a d*ck. I want to start off being neighbors being civil and not just rip the fence out. any advice on how I can help make him not get pissed even though his fence is 2 feet on my property

AZ Hunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    Seems like you were being respectful. The nice side of me says continue to have an open convo with the neighbor. If your efforts hit a wall....rip the damn thing out and tell him to **** off.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    "Hi. I'm the new neighbor. After I get my fence replaced, I'm having a little BBQ. You and your family are invited.

I'll let you know when that section will be down so you can keep your dogs in. Thanks!"

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I recently bought a house and the fence that is on the property currently is 4 different types of fencing and parts are falling over. I am going to replace it with a new wood privacy fence the week I move in. The problem is the neighbor is using the chain link fence that is on one side of the yard and I went and told him I will be removing it to build my new fence. His rear fence is attached to the chain link on my property but he says he built the fence and flipped out when I said I was tearing it out. A survey was done when I bought the house and it is 2 feet inside my property lines. I even offered when I build the fence I will take part of the chain link I remove and run it to my fence so there is not a gap where his dog can get out. I feel I was nice about it but he is being a d*ck. I want to start off being neighbors being civil and not just rip the fence out. any advice on how I can help make him not get pissed even though his fence is 2 feet on my property

He'll have to understand, that his fence is in your yard & You're going to replace the fence even if he doesn't want you too,:D

KingWeb50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    I understand I can just rip it out but this is my first house of my own and didn't know if there was a better way to handle it before I just say f it and rip it out even if he doesn't want me to. I even plan on doing it quickly so he doesn't have to keep his dog inside for very long

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    The old adage 'Fences Make Good Neighbors' surely applies here. It seems that some (most) property owners freak out over property lines. If you have a current survey then I'd most assuredly reclaim what is mine but attempt to leave his pet secure by allowing the fence connections. I was told that the law of adverse possession has changed in Indiana recently and I'd check to see what remedies are available to you legally.

Good Luck :yesway:

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Since he seems to feel the fence is his let him feel that way and simply advise him he needs to move it off your property so you can install your privacy fence. ;)

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    You should build your fence on the property line and then tear his fence that is on your side down when you are done:rockwoot:

It would be impossible to build a wood privacy fence with just 2 feet of working room.

Here's an idea. Leave the chain link, and build the new privacy fence 2 feet inside HIS property line. Hide a couple of Claymore's in the 4 ft void and tell him it is a "special doggy run." Once he knows how you deal with issues, he won't bother you again. ;)

LeeStreet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    South of Steuben Co.
    If I were you, I would check with the zoning/planning dept. of your city/county to make sure you are abiding by all applicable set back ordinances & laws. Then you can tell your neighbor to kiss your hind quarter. :twocents:

ChrisK

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Starke County
    If I were you, I would check with the zoning/planning dept. of your city/county to make sure you are abiding by all applicable set back ordinances & laws. Then you can tell your neighbor to kiss your hind quarter. :twocents:

This is good advice. I checked last year and per Indiana Code a new privacy fence must be 10 feet off of the property line unless your neighbor signs off on it. :xmad:

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Involve him in the planning rather than simply informing him of the plans. Try having him over for a beer or a steak or something.

"Hey, we seem to have gotten off on the wrong foot here, and I'm sorry about that. Here's the situation. I would really like to have uniform fencing around my yard. This existing chain link is 2' inside the property line, right about where I'd like to put my new fence. I understand you have concerns about your dog getting out, and this doesn't have to be a big deal if we work together. What can I do to make this project come out good for both of us, so we both get what we want and all of our concerns are addressed?"

And then shut up and listen to what he has to say, and do what you can to accommodate him without giving up your goals or desires from the project. If he doesn't come up with it, suggest moving the chain link 2' over to the actual property line, to make room for your fence. Do everything you can to make it clear to him that you don't want this to be adversarial, and you're willing to make reasonable accommodations. Keep him informed about every step of the process, and the timeline. Make sure he knows that you're not just out to ruin his world.

Repeat yourself as often as necessary when it comes to letting him know you don't want to be enemies over something so trivial. Go the extra mile, as it were.

If after all that he still wants to be a jerk about it, it's his choice, not yours. You can easily and reasonably say that you've done everything you could to keep things amiable.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Does he know the current survey shows the fence inside your property?
    Might be a good thing to clue him in on...
    Not necessarily. If it's been there long enough a court might decide that he owns it via adverse possession. OP could end up worse off if his new neighbour is savvy enough.

Top Bottom