• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • westside bengal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    While I am looking/deciding on my first handgun buy I am thinking I will need other stuff too. And I also plan to pick up a few long guns sometime if it makes a difference.

Cleaning kit
    Ear Protection
    Eye Protection (only need reading glasses)
    Storage

Any suggestions or advice?

and yes I know I need ammo...lol

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    Try and resist the temptation to go cheap on eye and ear protection. You've only got one set of eyes....one mishap can ruin your vision, and then having that nice new handgun is kind of pointless.

For ear protection, the cheap foam plugs serve their intended purpose. A set of electronic muffs that let you hear everything, but quiet down the loud sounds are hard to go back from once you've tried them. I bought the $25 cheapie set from Wal-Mart a couple of years ago and they work ok, but I've got a set of Peltor TacSports on the way from MidwayUSA. I picked these based on this thread....

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...tronic_hearing_protection_for_any_budget.html

I view electronic muffs as a "nice to have," unless you are teaching a new shooter or child to shoot. I think its almost a requirement then so you can hear everything that's going on.

Other than those two, a decent range bag is really nice to have...you can carry your handgun, ammo, eye/ear protection, targets, stapler, cleaning kit, and small tool kit together instead of having a dozen separate items all strung out all over the bench/table at the range.

Oh yeah, and AMMO!

guncakes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    just a suggestion, but if you intend to have several different guns, get a cleaning kit that will work for several different types of guns, not just one or two.

Also, wouldn't be a bad idea to buy a box of rubber gloves to wear during cleaning. Those fluids can sting if you have a paper cut.

I would also suggest getting a small vehicle safe. If you are carrying and need to make an unscheduled stop where you cannot take your gun (school etc), you need a way to secure it in your vehicle.

Lastly, make sure you get a thick skin and know the rules-we all know why.

Top Bottom