Need to have FSB changed on AR in South Bend area.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • r6vr6

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Granger
    So I have a AR that I traded for and for some reason the bayo lug on the FSB was neutered.(muzzle device is not welded) I have a replacement FSB but I don't have the proper tools (barrel vice etc) to change the FSB out. Is there a local competent gunsmith that is reasonable? Perhaps there is some local fellow AR fanatic that would be willing to help out for a case of beer etc.

Details on the upper: Levang compensator threaded on more than hand tight. Standard A2 style FSB installed and want to replace with the same.

Thanks for any input.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Most FSBs are drilled to that barrel, so just swapping one out for another is almost impossible. Unless you buy one of the FSB/ Gas blocks that uses allen bolts and clamps on the barrel vs using pins.

Its really an easy straightforward job with the right tools.

r6vr6

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Granger
    Most FSBs are drilled to that barrel, so just swapping one out for another is almost impossible. Unless you buy one of the FSB/ Gas blocks that uses allen bolts and clamps on the barrel vs using pins.

Its really an easy straightforward job with the right tools.

By eye balling the pin \ barrel alignments it looks like a go. So at least I have a chance of it happening.

If the compensator was able to be removed by hand I would have already attempted to change it but it appears to be tight enough to require a barrel vice.

Based on a little more research it appears that I would have to tap the FSB and use set screws. I think I'll just leave it be for now.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom