• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chachi73

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    west burbs
    Someone I know got arrested for having a pistol in car with no LTCH. He borrowed a friends car and didn't know. He just got bailed out. Anyone know what kind of trouble he can wind up in?

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Pretty sure you're not required to have an LTCH when transporting a firearm in the car. It is treated as a "residence", so to speak. You're not out "carrying" it.

If not, you can just say you're coming from the range.

However, if the person pulled over is nervous and screaming "I DONT KNOW WHAT THAT IS, OMG OMG OMG"... that won't help.

chachi73

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    west burbs
    I'll try to get more details out of him tomorrow. I didn't want to pepper him with questions after he spent the last 24 hours locked up. I'll get back to you all tomorrow.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Not saying you are a liar Chachi in any stretch, but something smells fishy. How did said officer find out about the pistol? If its a run of the mill moving violation, unless he was doing something noteworthy (reeking of pot, drunk, etc) the officer would never have found the pistol without a search unless it was already visible, which blows any plausible deniability. Ok, maybe if the gun was in the glove box and was noticed when he reached for the registration.

Good luck to your friend.

Any LEOs willing to chime in on this scenario?: You pull over somebody for something minor like speeding. Its not their car. They pop the glove box and out drops a glock. Do you take the driver's protest under advisement and call the owner to verify the pistol is indeed theirs? And if it is, since its an honest mistake, do you let them walk after putting it in the trunk unloaded so that its "range transport legal"? Or simply lock them up and let the judge/prosecutor sort it out later?

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Pretty sure you're not required to have an LTCH when transporting a firearm in the car. It is treated as a "residence", so to speak. You're not out "carrying" it.

If not, you can just say you're coming from the range.

However, if the person pulled over is nervous and screaming "I DONT KNOW WHAT THAT IS, OMG OMG OMG"... that won't help.

Might want to read the statute so you know when it is ok to transport a hangun without an LTCH.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Not saying you are a liar Chachi in any stretch, but something smells fishy. How did said officer find out about the pistol? If its a run of the mill moving violation, unless he was doing something noteworthy (reeking of pot, drunk, etc) the officer would never have found the pistol without a search unless it was already visible, which blows any plausible deniability. Ok, maybe if the gun was in the glove box and was noticed when he reached for the registration.

Good luck to your friend.

Any LEOs willing to chime in on this scenario?: You pull over somebody for something minor like speeding. Its not their car. They pop the glove box and out drops a glock. Do you take the driver's protest under advisement and call the owner to verify the pistol is indeed theirs? And if it is, since its an honest mistake, do you let them walk after putting it in the trunk unloaded so that its "range transport legal"? Or simply lock them up and let the judge/prosecutor sort it out later?

It all depends on the totality of the circumstances.

ticktwrter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Maybe your friend should get a good lawyer. I can't count on how many times I've taken drugs out of a suspect's pocket only to hear them say "these aren't my pants." Sounds like the officer did what he had to do. It might be possible if the owner of the car comes to his trial and admits it was his weapon and he left it there by mistake that your friend could be acquitted. Again, a good lawyer is important. If your friend has no other criminal history and not a convicted felon this will probably be a misdemeanor arrest.

chachi73

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    west burbs
    thanks all for the input. Admittedly his story is weak. he is one of my employees, so he might be selling me a bill of goods. If one gets bailed out, would there be a receipt of some sort for the bail that had to be paid to prove he was in lockdown?

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    thanks all for the input. Admittedly his story is weak. he is one of my employees, so he might be selling me a bill of goods. If one gets bailed out, would there be a receipt of some sort for the bail that had to be paid to prove he was in lockdown?
    Get rid of him. Now. This will not be the last "bad thing" to happen to him.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow

If your county has a court records website, search under his name and see if there is an entry of a bond posted on or about the date he claims he was in the slammer. Public record.

Arrest records are public info for every county. Look for his arrest and get the details out of it. Www.mycase.in.gov is the site I would use, just need first and last name.

Don't know if this has bonds or not. :dunno:

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN

chachi73

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    west burbs
    so more details. he was pulled over for seatbelt violation. officer asked if he could search his vehicle. he said sure, no problem. pistol was found under the seat. 6 squad cars arrive and he was arrested. he showed me the bail receipt and it said possession of gun w/o permit.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom