• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I am wanting to get a dog as I miss not having one around the house. I have a 3yr old so I do want something a little bit mild and great with kids. One rule I have is it has to have short hair so retrievers are out. As of now I am looking at beagles and basset hounds as I like both a lot. Does anyone have any other suggestions of a good breed to look at while having a young child? I have a good sized fenced in yard so that is not an issue there.

Thanks

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    First of all, just about any well-trained dog is going to be great with kids, so don't rule anything out...

My suggestion would be to get a short haired German Shepherd, but I'm biased...They are about as easy to train as you can get and the dog and your 3 yr old can grow up together and he/she will have a protector until he/she is close to an adult.

They aren't usually "mild" unless you just get a couch potato, but daily(or close to daily) exercise takes care of that, which any responsible dog owner is going to give their dog anyway.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    First of all, just about any well-trained dog is going to be great with kids, so don't rule anything out...

My suggestion would be to get a short haired German Shepherd, but I'm biased...They are about as easy to train as you can get and the dog and your 3 yr old can grow up together and he/she will have a protector until he/she is close to an adult.

They aren't usually "mild" unless you just get a couch potato, but daily(or close to daily) exercise takes care of that, which any responsible dog owner is going to give their dog anyway.

I like all dogs and when it was just us guys we had an American Staffordshire Terrier and he was awesome. However, with my 3yr old I think that is just to much dog right now. I don't really want a couch potato either which is why I was thinking beagle or basset. Didn't know there was a such thing as short haired german shepherds

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    I'd say a cockalier, but they have long hair.
    A labradoodle would be a good choice, you can get them in three sizes and while they do shed their undercoat they are hypoalergenic. calmness of a lab, yet neatness of a poodle.

a shiba-inu may also be a good choice.

latigo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bloomfield
    Good luck with your quest. Whatever you decide on try getting one with a Black roof of the mouth,they are smarter. An old timer told me this once. Every dog we have had with one has been great. We had a couple rescue dogs with pink mouths-they where not half as smart as the black mouth dogs.

My be an old wives tail but I am a believer.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    We had a pink mouthed choco-lab recently, she was dumb as a box of rocks when it came to obeying and listening. But she sure knew how to unzip a duffel bag with chocolate in it, and how to catch mice, voles, birds, squirrls and fish...

I miss her, but the previous choco-lab had a black mouth and she was always listened, but was just as clever.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Good luck with your quest. Whatever you decide on try getting one with a Black roof of the mouth,they are smarter. An old timer told me this once. Every dog we have had with one has been great. We had a couple rescue dogs with pink mouths-they where not half as smart as the black mouth dogs.

My be an old wives tail but I am a believer.

LOL, to say the least.

However, I just checked my dogs mouth(he's sharp as a tack) and his "roof" is black.:):

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I have always liked boxers.

Me too...I've never owned one, but I have several friends who had/have them and I'll be the first one to volunteer to keep them if they are going out of town and need a dog sitter.

They fit the short-hair and great with kids category, but not really the mild category though.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East

this!!!!!! :yesway:

Our german shepherd is almost 6 months old now and she is great with my 3 year old. we had some issues for a VERY short time with nibble play, but no more. I would pay money to see what that dog would do to someone even now if they tried to hurt my daughter. she is only 6 months old but she is HUGE! bought her here on INGO from a good breeder. heres a pic:
    DARBY12-28-10.jpg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    this!!!!!! :yesway:

Our german shepherd is almost 6 months old now and she is great with my 3 year old. we had some issues for a VERY short time with nibble play, but no more. I would pay money to see what that dog would do to someone even now if they tried to hurt my daughter. she is only 6 months old but she is HUGE! bought her here on INGO from a good breeder. heres a pic:
    DARBY12-28-10.jpg
    I wanted one when we got our choco lab, but our homeowners insurance told us we would be dropped.

Top Bottom