• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StorminJason

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Bloomington
    Guys ... i want to buy some ammo for my girlfriend's dad. (Yes, I know that sounds terribly dangerous, but he wouldn't ever shoot me. :):) He bought a new Ruger LCR .38 Special. I'm unclear on which ammo is correct for that gun. I've gotten answers like 130 gr, 142 gr, and 158 gr.

Does it matter for a revolver? If you were going to buy defensive ammo for that revolver, what would you buy?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    He bought a new Ruger LCR .38 Special. I'm unclear on which ammo is correct for that gun. I've gotten answers like 130 gr, 142 gr, and 158 gr.

They are all acceptable. Bullet weight is largely irrelevant for the distances one will be shooting a snubby at. I've got the .357 version and have tried .38s and .357s from 125 gr to 158 gr and it shot all of them just fine with no noticeable difference in point of aim and point of impact from 25 yards and in (the longest distance I shot it).

Personally, I carry 130 gr Winchester PDX-1 .38+P in mine. I am a big believer in bonded ammunition, especially in lighter weight bullets. The more mass you retain, the better penetration you'll get.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I use Remington 125 gr +P JHPs in my snubbies, as does my wife. Not the latest and greatest on the market, but still pretty effective, and they shoot great in all of our guns. Kinda helps that I found a deal on them just before the last ammo spike hit the market, and picked up a case @ less than target ammo prices.

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    I carry 110gr +P Critical Defense in my LCR. If I could find any, I would switch to the Speer Gold Dot 135gr made for short barrel revolvers.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom