• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    My son (22) came home yesterday and said he wanted to talk with us. Did he get into some trouble?, does he need to borrow money? did he propose to his girlfriend? We had no idea what he wanted to discuss.
    We had a nice lunch and he starts talking about the economy, lack of jobs (he's got a college degree), even politics. Hmmm, I wondering where he is going with this.
    He said he is tired of waiting for the economy to turn around. He wants to get started with a career. He wants to defend and protect our country. He tells us he has enlisted in the Navy! :patriot:
    Wow. I couldn't be more proud of him, and in the same breath, I'm a Mom and will worry about him. That comes with the Mom territory.
    He was telling us about his upcoming training, where he will be stationed, etc. It was a shock, I had no idea he was thinking along this line, but he said he had been thinking about this for nearly a year.
    Later in the conversation, he asks me, Mom, will you take me to the range this week? :D Son, after training, you will be teaching me a few things.
    I had to share this. Thanks for reading. Go Navy!

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Congrats and Congrats on your son. Its nice their are still people willing to take charge of their life instead of living off the government.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    Thanks for all of your support, guys. To all of you vets, THANK YOU! After a night to think about it, I know in my heart it is the best decision for him, now.
    Jeremy, I pray every night that all of you come home safely and SOON. I'll be praying a little harder and longer!

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    Our son came to us a little over a year ago with the same story, no jobs and wanted to serve his country. He wanted to join the Army. He was attending college at the time and we like you never saw it coming. He is currently deployed in Korea.
    We miss him and worry about him daily, but couldn't be more proud of him. First few weeks he was gone were realy rough but its getting easier.
    We talk to him as often as possible and ship him packages of goodies eavery couple of weeks. A little hint for you if you are going to be shipping things to your son. Go to the Post office and get some of the flat rate shipping boxes. Cheapest way to go. The flat rated is dicounted if you are shipping to an APO address. I can ship a box to Korea for $11.00.

:patriot:Congratulations to your son and good luck to him.
    May all our sons and daughters come home safe and soon:patriot:

XDinmyXJ

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    My son (22) came home yesterday and said he wanted to talk with us. Did he get into some trouble?, does he need to borrow money? did he propose to his girlfriend? We had no idea what he wanted to discuss.
    We had a nice lunch and he starts talking about the economy, lack of jobs (he's got a college degree), even politics. Hmmm, I wondering where he is going with this.
    He said he is tired of waiting for the economy to turn around. He wants to get started with a career. He wants to defend and protect our country. He tells us he has enlisted in the Navy! :patriot:
    Wow. I couldn't be more proud of him, and in the same breath, I'm a Mom and will worry about him. That comes with the Mom territory.
    He was telling us about his upcoming training, where he will be stationed, etc. It was a shock, I had no idea he was thinking along this line, but he said he had been thinking about this for nearly a year.
    Later in the conversation, he asks me, Mom, will you take me to the range this week? :D Son, after training, you will be teaching me a few things.
    I had to share this. Thanks for reading. Go Navy!

:+1: to you for being a supportive parent! Unfortunately I don't have that option since I have a documented disability. Now all i can do is hope i get called back to work!

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Kudos to your son for the decision, and for you for your support. Children are often a reflection of their parents, and it sounds like you guys have done a good job instilling some great values in him. :yesway:

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Congratulations on that! I'm going to MEPS on Wednesday to go active Army for 3 years (if my over 40 physical goes well!), and heck I have a great job and a college degree. Be proud of him.

hc4sar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    cent IN.
    Tell your son way to go on picking the NAVY. i spent 3+years as a helicopter air crew man in sea air rescue and loved it! the navy and the air force have the best training of the services so good luck to your son and god speed!
    :ingo:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    Thanks kboom524 for the package tips. I haven't begun to think that far ahead. I appreciate any suggestions you have.

Dr. Falken, good luck to you. Be safe and godspeed.

Thanks all.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Oh speaking of Packages, and can one of the Navy guys cross check me on this please...
    While he is boot and schooling phase careful what niceness and love that you send to him Mom. Everything must be earned, and somethings are more expensive than others...
    I still remeember the 2 hours of Physical Training my Platoon done for homemade brownies... At least for those in the Army, course for me this was 20 years ago for me in the Army...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    Thanks for the heads up, Jeremy. I love to bake goodies, and I could see me sending him something he has run forever to earn. :dunno:
    I would never hear the end of it!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    Oh speaking of Packages, and can one of the Navy guys cross check me on this please...
    While he is boot and schooling phase careful what niceness and love that you send to him Mom. Everything must be earned, and somethings are more expensive than others...
    I still remeember the 2 hours of Physical Training my Platoon done for homemade brownies... At least for those in the Army, course for me this was 20 years ago for me in the Army...
    21 years ago (1989), that was the way it was for me in BOOT. Even letter mail was earned but they were pretty lax about it.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    Congrats, It is a great feeling, we had two of our children that joined the military, both came out and used there GI bill and have great paying jobs now!! one is a CPA the other is a RN.

Top Bottom