Mythbusters banned from doing RFID episode.... wow.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    That's why when I was sent a RFID credit card I called the company to cancel it. They sent me a regular one. I told them that if I'm too LAZY to swipe, I probably don't need whatever it is that I'm looking at.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Can you say Oligarchy, kids? I knew you could. It's been that way for decades and the players have only become more brazen.

As for the RFID...they are hackable. But, they are commonplace in Europe and becoming more commonplace here. Shoot, depending on where you shop, your products have them. They're quite common in clothing from Old Navy and the Gap and most big items at Walmart have one on or in the box. They're pretty common.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    It sucks that they couldn't do the show, but where in the video does government come in?

I don't question the power of megacorporations in the US government (for fun, go back a few days ...Friday, I think...and look at LewRockwell.com for the Venn charts on the intersection between FedGov and MegaCorps), but from what is in the video, this was a purely private matter.

Unless part of "everybody else" included government elements, Discovery simply bowed to the overwhelming power of the revenue-paying players on the call.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Can you say Oligarchy, kids? I knew you could. It's been that way for decades and the players have only become more brazen.

As for the RFID...they are hackable. But, they are commonplace in Europe and becoming more commonplace here. Shoot, depending on where you shop, your products have them. They're quite common in clothing from Old Navy and the Gap and most big items at Walmart have one on or in the box. They're pretty common.

Okay, indirectly through the allowance of Oligarchy, due to the control...I'll yield that as a distinct possibility.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield

Big difference on what info is stored in stores like GAP and Old Navy, and to my knowledge Wal-Mart is not using RFID, I know it has been discussed for years to start including RFID chips in all products coming in and have a scanner set up on each and every door for incoming products to speed up the check in process. But this has been nixed until prices come down.

Unless you're thinking of this:
    shoplifting2.jpg

Anti theft magnetic strips. Sets off the alarms when you walk out.

fireblade

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Earth
    Big difference on what info is stored in stores like GAP and Old Navy, and to my knowledge Wal-Mart is not using RFID, I know it has been discussed for years to start including RFID chips in all products coming in and have a scanner set up on each and every door for incoming products to speed up the check in process. But this has been nixed until prices come down.

Unless you're thinking of this:
    shoplifting2.jpg

Anti theft magnetic strips. Sets off the alarms when you walk out.

sorry but yes they are using them at walmart 6 months ago not in all stores yet tho but most have them........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIII_3O0z2w&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo8GMUVlJjo

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Wal-Mart

Or this

In January 2005, Wal-Mart required its top 100 suppliers to apply RFID labels to all shipments. To meet this requirement, vendors use RFID printer/encoders to label cases and pallets that require EPC tags for Wal-Mart. These smart labels are produced by embedding RFID inlays inside the label material, and then printing bar code and other visible information on the surface of the label.

An EPC RFID tag used by Wal-Mart.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Missing the point on the walmart RIFD vs the RIFD in your credit card or company ID or government ID. The RIFD on clothing just has size, color, product # on it. The RIFD on your ID has all your info (name, ssn, addresses, etc.) the US gov ones (civilian emplpyees) I think even have blood type, medical info.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    For retailers, RFID is less about loss due to theft (it helps in that, too).

It's more about inventory control and logistical tracking.
    What warehouse it's in. What rack location. Which truck it is going on at what time. Which store it goes to and which aisle it's place on and when it's bought ... ...out the door it goes. No more RFID tracking of the goods after that point.

Now when RFID is applied to people (ID cards or currency cards, etc.), well, now we're the inventory someone is keeping track of.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    RFID is the technology that is used in most newer vehicle keys. The technology exists to read the RFID code from a key and clone it to a blank key. I sure wouldn't want an RFID based credit card in my pocket.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    On a completely unrelated note (<--- light purplish there) did you guys see how the US gov't is trying to censor scientific journals?

US government urges scientists to censor findings on new strain of bird flu | World news | guardian.co.uk

Of course, that is nothing new, but still interesting.

I don't see censorship in this example.

First, a scientific journal can't censor itself. That's an editorial decision, not censorship. Second, the government asked them not to put it in, it didn't compel them to put it in.

I have no problem with the government requesting that someone doesn't print something. That's much better than using force. I could think of many examples where the government might say that something would be harmful, so please don't print it.

For the purposes of my point, the details of why the government wants it not printed are irrelevant. In this case, I don't understand their point.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    John22
    Top Bottom